Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! This is my second time posting on here, I got some great feed back before and I'm back again with more questions!

The AT I will eventually get (hopefully a few days after next friday) will be my first adventure bike and I'm ridiculously excited.

In south FL there are some standard base model variants of 2017/2018's that are used going between 8-9k. They have anywhere between 1500 miles to 5k.
I'm pretty scared of buying used, just out of fear of the previous owner not caring for their bike in terms of maintenance like skipping the initial break-in service at 600 miles (Pretty sure it's 600) or anything else.

Also, if I decide on the 2017 model year... is that a mistake? Is it "late enough" in the production that Honda worked out all the issues with the 2016 model year?

I just want a reliable bike lol. This will be my commuter and tourer so I need serious reliability. Has anyone here bought their AT used? Would you do it again? Should I buy used? Thanks for contributing to my post in advance!

·
Super Moderator
6,793 Posts
If buying used from an authorized dealership, usually they will stand behind the sale with some standard and/or negotiated warranty assurance.

Honda makes incredibly reliable and robust motorcycles. However, if buying from a private sale, no matter what the vehicle, it is buyer beware.

I have bought many bikes privately, however, they usually get a good look-over and test run. The buyer should do their homework on the vehicle.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CRF 1000L Manual
712 Posts
Hola SQK. Here is one owner's experience: Last October I bought a used 2016 manual in Long Island, NY while I was working for Sikorsky in Stratford, CT. I was surfing CycleTrader late one Friday evening and saw her and was immediately interested. She was being sold on consignment for a friend of the owner at a Long Island Honda Powersports dealership right across the sound. She had 2,400 miles and tons of aftermarket stuff which had cost the previous owner about $2,500 by my final calculation. They were asking $10k for the bike out the door. She had been inspected and serviced by the dealer and had a clean bill of health. I was on the Long Island ferry the next morning and ended up paying cash for her!

Not wanting to pay the leftists in NY state or CT anything if I could help it, I had a transport company deliver her to me in CT. I registered her in the relatively free state of Florida where I live, gladly paying that registration fee and sales tax. To get her to FL (this is winter in the NE now) I tossed her into the back of my Ford and brought her home over the Thanksgiving break.

Working in CT with the bike in FL, I was unable to ride her or work on her. Since retiring last month I've been getting her ready for the summer riding season while putting around eastern FL at around 250 miles a week. Today, she is sitting at 4,900 miles and is waiting on crash bars and a tall windscreen.

Bottom line, she is in great shape, everything is working and I'm as pleased with this buy as any pig is in mud!

·
Super Moderator
6,793 Posts
An excellent experience WW. Sometimes the extra peace-of-mind to have some sort of evidence of dealer care backing the vehicle's history is worth whatever premium involved, if any.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys, I really want to say thank you for the replies. Doublethumper you made some awesome points that brought reassurance to my mind. And WeeWilly, my dude... thank you so much for providing your experience. Super excited, it looks like going used won't be such a bad idea. We'll see what happens! I'll keep you guys updated on what I eventually choose next weekend!

P.S. I love that color on your 2016, absolutely beautiful.

·
Super Moderator
6,793 Posts
Hey guys, I really want to say thank you for the replies. Doublethumper you made some awesome points that brought reassurance to my mind. And WeeWilly, my dude... thank you so much for providing your experience. Super excited, it looks like going used won't be such a bad idea. We'll see what happens! I'll keep you guys updated on what I eventually choose next weekend!

P.S. I love that color on your 2016, absolutely beautiful.
(y)

·
Registered
2017 DCT
342 Posts
Hey SQK,

I think the risk for used (low miles) is pretty minimal. I recently went through the same decision tree and ended up buying a NOS 2017 off the dealer floor, but could easily have gone used.

Things that influenced my thinking:

1. CL prices for bikes with 5k-15k miles were about the same as a brand new bike after a little light negotiation. I'm sure there was room on the used prices to negotiate, but the bikes were spread all over the Phoenix Valley to check out.

2. Used bikes generally came with many of the expensive add-ons that I would want, but not necessarily the same ones I would want (think bars, skid plates, cruise loks, etc.)

3. Warranty vs. no warranty.

4. 12 month 0% financing (I was ready to pay cash, but free Honda money for a year was a nice perk.)

5. Break in under my control vs. not.

Ultimately, I went with the new bike for $9.1k in September, and have likely dumped another $3.5 k into it in add-ons (with my own labor at $0).

I am happy with the decision, but probably would have been equally happy with a nice low milage used one, with at least some of the stuff on it that I want.

I generally don't buy new vehicles, but the scenario of 2017 bikes sitting on dealer floors while 2020 models with improvements were coming in made it pretty tempting.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey SQK,

I think the risk for used (low miles) is pretty minimal. I recently went through the same decision tree and ended up buying a NOS 2017 off the dealer floor, but could easily have gone used.

Things that influenced my thinking:

1. CL prices for bikes with 5k-15k miles were about the same as a brand new bike after a little light negotiation. I'm sure there was room on the used prices to negotiate, but the bikes were spread all over the Phoenix Valley to check out.

2. Used bikes generally came with many of the expensive add-ons that I would want, but not necessarily the same ones I would want (think bars, skid plates, cruise loks, etc.)

3. Warranty vs. no warranty.

4. 12 month 0% financing (I was ready to pay cash, but free Honda money for a year was a nice perk.)

5. Break in under my control vs. not.

Ultimately, I went with the new bike for $9.1k in September, and have likely dumped another $3.5 k into it in add-ons (with my own labor at $0).

I am happy with the decision, but probably would have been equally happy with a nice low milage used one, with at least some of the stuff on it that I want.

I generally don't buy new vehicles, but the scenario of 2017 bikes sitting on dealer floors while 2020 models with improvements were coming in made it pretty tempting. View attachment 54416

Thanks for posting man! This is to you, and really anyone else who stumbles upon this: Do you guys think with the whole Covid-19 fiasco going on, and the economy the way it is... do you think that dealers would be more "desperate" to get rid of a bike? In particular a 2018? I would think yes, but I'm honestly not to familiar on how dealerships work especially in times like these. I'd like to think I can use it as an opportunity to score a decent deal. Thanks for posting your AT, love seeing everyone's bike and just gets me even more excited for when I get mine!!!!

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Thanks for posting man! This is to you, and really anyone else who stumbles upon this: Do you guys think with the whole Covid-19 fiasco going on, and the economy the way it is... do you think that dealers would be more "desperate" to get rid of a bike? In particular a 2018? I would think yes, but I'm honestly not to familiar on how dealerships work especially in times like these. I'd like to think I can use it as an opportunity to score a decent deal. Thanks for posting your AT, love seeing everyone's bike and just gets me even more excited for when I get mine!!!!
You'll probably get a better deal from a private individual, there are many that struggle in this time and tend to sell their stuff at very low price compared to the "normal" times.

·
Registered
2017 DCT
342 Posts
You'll probably get a better deal from a private individual, there are many that struggle in this time and tend to sell their stuff at very low price compared to the "normal" times.
Yeah, I would say individuals that are selling in this market may have enough motivation to price it to move. Just don't over pay for accessories that you will end up pulling off and replacing... If you have the time to look at a number of bikes, you should be able to get a good deal.

I would think about used bikes in terms of what is the KBB trade in value estimate based upon factory options, condition and miles. In the case of a 2018 Africa Twin DCT, in good condition with "typical" miles, it says it is worth $7500 trade in.

I would then look at the installed, included add-ons that you would want, then value them at about 50% of new, and add that to the trade in value. Value stuff you don't want at zero, but maybe offer to let the guy pull them off, if stock replacement parts are still around.

So armed with that number, maybe offer 25% less and move up from there.

If the story is perfect, the bike is perfect, and you really like the colors and config, then maybe trade-in + 50% off desired accessories.

KBB Trade In 2018 AT

Kelly Blue Book is just an estimate, but it is a starting place for the discussion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts