Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've taken the front mudguard off and replaced it with the High Fenda kit from Camel Adv, https://camel-adv.com/
This kit is well made and some thought has gone into it and the guy is most helpful.

I was a bit concerned that the front engine and the side engine casings looked to exposed so I've ordered this https://europe.outbackmotortek.com/product/africa-twin-1000-ultimate-protection-combo/

It looks very well made and the videos on you tube is the ultimate test when you think they are throwing a new Africa Twin on the ground, they have a europe based supplier so no import tax, at £510 delivered looks very good value

·
Registered
39 Posts
I like that it comes with Stainless lines which I've wanted to add anyway. On my 'used' bike the lever is pretty soft. I have a KTM 350SX-F that has nice firm lever and have had sportbikes with firmer feel and can't get used to the soft lever. The brake pads are relatively new and, Yes, the fluid can probably be changed/flushed, but a perfect time to do that is with new Stainless lines. The only down side is the fenders and fork guards don't come with the kit. Once adding those this isn't a cheap mod for sure.

Thanks for posting the aftermarket kit/site as it will be added to my mod list.

P.S. And I've adjusted lever position too with the correct reach for two finger pull means lever comes all the way to my other fingers on aggresive stops.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I've taken the front mudguard off and replaced it with the High Fenda kit from Camel Adv, https://camel-adv.com/
This kit is well made and some thought has gone into it and the guy is most helpful.

I was a bit concerned that the front engine and the side engine casings looked to exposed so I've ordered this https://europe.outbackmotortek.com/product/africa-twin-1000-ultimate-protection-combo/

It looks very well made and the videos on you tube is the ultimate test when you think they are throwing a new Africa Twin on the ground, they have a europe based supplier so no import tax, at £510 delivered looks very good value
It does look like a good system, but my favorite feature was the mid position only and therefore lightweight design. It seems OM had to made a full headgear version to compete with the others and I don't like the thought of so much additional weight to an already heavy bike. The original OM bars weight 5.5kg; anyone know the weight of the skid plate and lower bars? Once we add crash protection and a few other standard features, I'm not sure our AT is actually lighter than it's rivals.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I came from having a 1200gs to the twin some weight saving there, on the twin replacing the bash plate and the Honda's crash bars I don't think there is much change weight wise, but worth it for me
Taking away the low fenda gives you more options as to what tyres to run, high fenda means loads of crap coming up bigger skid plate that comes up past the headers makes sense to me, may not to others

·
Registered
218 Posts
Agree with a high fender the larger skid plate would be a must. In stock form the area around the headers already gets completely sprayed and caked with mud. OEM "light bar" is around 3kg is I remember correctly, so with a larger skid plate you would be adding at least eight or more kg, but at least it's mostly down low.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am very happy with my OM purchase. Very well made and a reasonable installation time. Hardware vs. directions gets a little tough because they send the kit in one box but as individual products. If you are installing one section you use parts xyz and if you are installing all sections you use parts abc. All in all, excellent quality equipment.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Heads up on the OM bars and skidplate - check for interference on the left side between skidplate and lower engine bar. I had to clearance the skidplate about 1/4" deep by 1" long section to clear the bars. Hard to notice at first but everything fits much nicer once the interference is removed. Pretty minor issue overall I'm happy with the OM setup.

·
Registered
379 Posts
It does look like a good system, but my favorite feature was the mid position only and therefore lightweight design. It seems OM had to made a full headgear version to compete with the others and I don't like the thought of so much additional weight to an already heavy bike. The original OM bars weight 5.5kg; anyone know the weight of the skid plate and lower bars? Once we add crash protection and a few other standard features, I'm not sure our AT is actually lighter than it's rivals.
I think the mids only would add sufficient protection for tarmac touring. The lowers would be a good idea if riding on rough unsealed roads where you might risk cracking the engine case if you drop it on a rock, and they add strength to the mids. The uppers I'd skip, Lorry himself told me that they're just an option for those who want uppers, but he doesn't think they're necessary.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I think the mids only would add sufficient protection for tarmac touring. The lowers would be a good idea if riding on rough unsealed roads where you might risk cracking the engine case if you drop it on a rock, and they add strength to the mids. The uppers I'd skip, Lorry himself told me that they're just an option for those who want uppers, but he doesn't think they're necessary.
What do you mean uppers? OM makes crash bars, and engine guards for the AT. Are you saying they've now started making big wrap around bars like the honda, touratech ones?

I have the crash bars and engine guards. I'm glad I got both, I don't think they'd have lasted my off road abuse if I had just the crash bars. They've bent inward just a little and got a bit of grinding on them but they should last another year hopefully.

·
Registered
85 Posts
OM has upper crash bars in the works that will link both sides together just like the other brands. They'll likely be getting them out after the New Year...SC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Installed the Camel-ADV high fender kit and foot peg brace. Works good with the OM crash bars and skid plate. Will need to drop the aux lights a bit as it does hit the fender when turned. Great help from Camel-ADV and highly recommend!

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Great thanks! Been curious if the high fender kit would clear the OM crashbars/skidplate. Which fender are you using?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I used the ktm fender/ spacers and painted the center orange strip black....I did trip about a 1/2" off the back of the fender, and along with the OM bash plate, it appears it will work pretty well.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Took me 6 months to install mine. Was worried about bleeding brakes, but ended up getting the motion pro brake bleeder, and it went amazingly smooth. Whole thing took me about 3 hours but had to take off crash bars to install foot peg brace which also required taking the exhaust off which added a good hour easy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It was a straight forward job to fit the riser kit and the crash bars, I only need to remount the honda spotlights, don't fancy drilling the crash bars, I'll look for a mounting bracket,,,,,, any ideas anyone,,,,,,,,,
The fork guards graphics turned up its a bit to orange so I've ordered some Honda red graphic card to stick on top of the orange also I'll do the same to the high fenda.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had to trim the high fenda from UFO as it was about 2 inches to long, I could have ordered the short one but with fitting a new bash plate I wanted to make sure it was long as possible to try stop the mud flinging up, it's work out well

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts