Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2017 DCT
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I worked up the enthusiasm to install the Camel Pro right foot peg brace and a set of Heed Bunker crash bars on my 2017 DCT.

I'm kind of glad that I decided to do them together, since you have to take the exhaust off for the foot peg brace. You might not have to take the exhaust off to do the Heed bars, but I think it made it a world of hurt easier for the accessing the bolts that get changed out for the front engine mounting brackets and that also end up mounting points for the crash bars. Access to the bolts that hold the lower right mounting bracket on was also much easier without the exhaust in front of them.

Cory's you tube video on installation is great; and the foot peg brace, as many have commented here, is very well designed. My only gripe is the hardware supplied adds 13mm headed cap screws into the mix. Would have been nice if they had of been 12mm, just to cut down on the number of wrenches. It just seems wrong to have a 13mm bolt head on a Jap bike.:wink2:

Video:

I paused the brace installation at the point of re-installing the exhaust, so I could switch over to installing the Heed bars, while the exaust was out of the way. I had just installed the Black Dog crash plate, yesterday, and knew that there would be some surgery required on it for both the foot peg brace and the Heed Bars. Wow, was it hard to bring myself to cut into an expensive and good looking skid plate. My results are in the pictures below. Not exactly artistic, but functional with no vibe, scraping or noise.

The Heed bars are rock solid. They came packed exceptionally well. It took me almost 15 minutes just to cut all the tape and foam off of them. The supplied hardware was all correct and of decent quality. The supplied instructions were abosolute SHEITE... I think they might have been missing a page, since the step by step instructions, if you could call them that, referrenced a bunch of figures that did not exist on the next page of black and white photo copied pictures.

Biker Budgee's youtube video was quite helpful; I at least could see where some of the mystery mounting points ended up:

video:

The bars went on without much drama or bad language. I then resumed installation of the Camel Pro footpeg brace at the point of reinstalling the exhaust, and finished it out.

The last bit included making a cutout in the right rear bottom of the Black Dog bash plate for the foot peg brace and in the left side, top side of the bash plate to accomodate the lower mounting point of the crash bar. I fiddled with this longer than was necessary, probably about 2.5 hours. Took it on and off a few times to get adequate clearance without taking too much more metal out than necessary. Maybe I will clean it up a little with a grinder at the next oil change. (Key word = maybe!)

Tools used; Milwaukee cordless hacksaw and a medium ******* file. Probably could have been more artistic with a dremel, but reasonably happy with the result.

PS: Don't tell my wife why there is aluminum dust all over the floor on her side of the garage (it was closer to the bike than my bench!)

I'm throwing a bunch of pictures I shot along the way in, without much additional info. If someone is thinking of trying the combination of Camel Pro footpeg brace, Black Dog bash plate, and Heed crash bars, this will at least give you a rough idea of what you are in for. I would have ordered the Black Dog crash bars, but called them and they said they quit making them; none in stock.

If you have questions, I will be happy to try to answer them.

Maybe tomorrow the rack and bags go on...

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Fender

I have the same bike with Alt Rider protection and the Camel pegs and brace.
I just cut about 3" off the back side of the front fender after it caught the bash plate, coming off a whoop< and sent me into the brush. I didn't go down but wasn't fun. (Riding by myself) Be cautious when out on the rough stuff until you know this is not an Issue. I don't blame anyone, just a word of caution.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 DCT
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have the same bike with Alt Rider protection and the Camel pegs and brace.
I just cut about 3" off the back side of the front fender after it caught the bash plate, coming off a whoop< and sent me into the brush. I didn't go down but wasn't fun. (Riding by myself) Be cautious when out on the rough stuff until you know this is not an Issue. I don't blame anyone, just a word of caution.
Thanks Ronbo, glad to hear you landed ok, that must have been just a little exciting for a few moments! Just checked mine; it looks like the BD plate is low enough on the front lip to not have an issue with that, but glad you posted it. I would never have thought to check!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts