Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery has run flat (yes, I know I don't use her enough):frown2: and instead of removing there battery, which is a nightmare, is there any other safe way of jump starting the bike.....

·
Registered
364 Posts
You don't have to remove the battery to jump start.
Just remove the toolbox and open the cover to get at the terminals.
That's as easy as it gets, unless your battery has discharged completely.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I had the same issue in February (no electric in my garage and the bike had stood for 6 or 7 weeks) I faffed about taking the battery out and charged it whilst putting a charged spare in its place ( I figured that at some point in the future, I'd need to get the bike started to catch a ferry or something and be stuffed if it wouldn't start, so bought a 2nd battery I keep in the house fully charged) I can now swap the battery in less than 5 minutes...it's just getting used to it and knowing the correct spanner that'll fit for the left hand side 'awkward' terminal.

·
Registered
465 Posts
You can jump start lithium? I was told not to, but I'm not convinced they knew what was up.
I don't believe you can.

I have a lithium battery too. Do yourself a favor, buy a Battery Tender Junior 800. Gives you the option to charge lithium or lead acid battery.

Love it!

·
Registered
326 Posts
You can jump start lithium? I was told not to, but I'm not convinced they knew what was up.
It depends. If the cells has been detached by the management system before going too low (let's say around 2V) , then it can be recharged and therefore jump start the bike. If the cells has been completely depleted (<1V), then recharging them would be dangerous. In this case the battery is simply waste.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have pre-empted this, because for me it may not only become a problem caused by not having ridden the bike for a few weeks. I'm away working a lot, so my DCT sits on a battery maintainer anyway.

What happens if you are on a trip, alone, miles from anywhere. You've camped out overnight. In the morning you hit the start button... clunk, click, click click. Nada!! :(
On checking, battery terminals are tight but the battery is flat. You are stuffed! Even more so if you are out of cell tower range and don't have a Garmin Explorer GPS comms unit (or similar). I have one, but that's not relevant here.

It's a DCT, even if you had a down hill stretch you can't bump start it, as the engine needs to be running for a clutch to engage in any gear.
Besides, even it were manual, on flat ground no single person will be able to push and bump start an Africa Twin.

My solution was to pre fit and run a jumpstart lead up under the front seat. It's a heavy duty cable permanently connected to the battery. Under the seat it terminates in a connector that I can simply plug into my Lithium jump start battery pack (that also has USB charging ports and a torch - flashlight in USA speak).

I carry the pack with me at all times as it also has crock clips and can be used to jump cars and other bikes, good Samaritan style ;)

So, if I ever need to jump start my DCT, at home, in town or out in the boonies, I just lift the front seat, plug in and start. No need to pull any covers off or slide the battery out, which in my case also entails removing the left RockFox upper crash bar!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have pre-empted this, because for me it may not only become a problem caused by not having ridden the bike for a few weeks. I'm away working a lot, so my DCT sits on a battery maintainer anyway.

What happens if you are on a trip, alone, miles from anywhere. You've camped out overnight. In the morning you hit the start button... clunk, click, click click. Nada!! :(
On checking, battery terminals are tight but the battery is flat. You are stuffed! Even more so if you are out of cell tower range and don't have a Garmin Explorer GPS comms unit (or similar). I have one, but that's not relevant here.

It's a DCT, even if you had a down hill stretch you can't bump start it, as the engine needs to be running for a clutch to engage in any gear.
Besides, even it were manual, on flat ground no single person will be able to push and bump start an Africa Twin.

My solution was to pre fit and run a jumpstart lead up under the front seat. It's a heavy duty cable permanently connected to the battery. Under the seat it terminates in a connector that I can simply plug into my Lithium jump start battery pack (that also has USB charging ports and a torch - flashlight in USA speak).

I carry the pack with me at all times as it also has crock clips and can be used to jump cars and other bikes, good Samaritan style ;)

So, if I ever need to jump start my DCT, at home, in town or out in the boonies, I just lift the front seat, plug in and start. No need to pull any covers off or slide the battery out, which in my case also entails removing the left RockFox upper crash bar!
What a smashing idea. I have a fuse block under the seat. It probably wouldn't be that hard to jump the lead (I have a similar lithium battery jumper) but time will tell.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
409 Posts
what does the owners manual say? Because mine says "Do not Jump-Start..." This is on page 167 of the 2018 owners manual.

So, is this specific to Lithium Battery/ride by wire bikes?

·
Registered
119 Posts
You don't have to remove the battery to jump start.
Just remove the toolbox and open the cover to get at the terminals.
That's as easy as it gets, unless your battery has discharged completely.
I seem to recall that the battery slides in sideways and the -ve terminal is at the far end. So, to get to both terminals, you'd need to slide the battery out as well.

To jump start you could connect to the +ve lead to the battery and connect the -ve jump lead to a bare metal part on the bike frame/engine block, but not always recommended.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I seem to recall that the battery slides in sideways and the -ve terminal is at the far end. So, to get to both terminals, you'd need to slide the battery out as well.

To jump start you could connect to the +ve lead to the battery and connect the -ve jump lead to a bare metal part on the bike frame/engine block, but not always recommended.
That's mostly correct except the battery doesn't move much without undoing the terminal screws. You don't want to undo either lead to
jump start the bike.
Last time I jump started my bike, I was alone at a remote campground with no one to help me.
I did have my jump pack with me and got to use it for the first time but it was difficult.
I managed to get the +ve jumper clip to touch the terminal while pushing the start button with my right thumb.
(The alligator style clip could not be used to hold onto the terminal due to the lack of room in the area and holding it by hand was the only way possible.)
This is a certifiable 'yoga' move and if your arms are short, almost impossible to accomplish.
I have since put a heavy duty 'pig tail' jumper lead to make it easier but had no battery issues since.
:smile2:

·
Registered
255 Posts
My jump start lead is short and tucked into the 'tool box' that sits over the battery. I use the Bumot tool box attached to my Bumot pannier rack to hold my tools.

I have since put a heavy duty 'pig tail' jumper lead to make it easier but had no battery issues since.
:smile2:
That's the best thing about setting up a way to overcome a potential problem, you end up never needing it. But if you have no solution, THEN the problem is bound to crop up!

·
Registered
119 Posts
That's the best thing about setting up a way to overcome a potential problem, you end up never needing it. But if you have no solution, THEN the problem is bound to crop up!
Yep! Seems to have worked so far :)

My jump start lead is short and tucked into the 'tool box' that sits over the battery. I use the Bumot tool box attached to my Bumot pannier rack to hold my tools.
Ah! I have another item in that space ..... Camel ADV fuel tank.
I really wanted the tool box there, but after some thought range got the better of me ;)

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts