Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
Crf1100 ATAS ES Manual
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I went riding with a friend and his bike (lead)battery was low on juice, not enough power to start it. No problem, we used the jumper cables and his car to start it, done. This made me thinking, can I use a jump starter or jumper cables with the ATAS lithium battery when I'm in this situation?? Or is there a jump starter battery on the market for lithium batteries.
Or can I use the lithium battery from the ATAS to jump start an fellow biker in need? My gut feeling says no but I'm a noob in lithium technology...

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
Wow,
After reading that article on jumping a LI-ion battery, what pain in the butt. Jumping regular lead acid batteries from lead acid batteries is childs play compared. But I guess it's just the nature of progress and especially where batteries are concerned. I'll to try and remember that procedure. I purchased our '18 AT/AS/DCT brand new back in April of '20 with no miles on it. This is the 31st of Oct of '22. I'm pretty darn sure that it has the original battery in it. That makes my battery around 4, possibly even close to 5 years old. So far, with around 6,000 miles on it, it's starting the bike just fine. But there may come a time, maybe in the not too distant future, I may need a jump. Hmmmm.
Scott

·
Premium Member
Crf1100 ATAS ES Manual
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can if you do it the correct way. Here is an article on how to do it.

Okay, it's possible to do it but like @FIRE UP says "it's a pain in the but" to do it.
Thanks for the article!

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
Okay, it's possible to do it but like @FIRE UP says "it's a pain in the but" to do it.
Thanks for the article!
Well,
As much as you and I agree it could be a pain to do a Li-Ion jump start, without a doubt, it's way better than the alternative, which might be,
1. Walking home
2. Trying to push those big (over 500 lbs) beasts to some point where help is acquired
3. Calling a tow truck
4. Sitting, waiting for possible help 'cause you can't do the other three and there's no cell phone coverage.
Scott

Reactions: Grelton and Yves072

·
Registered
2020 CRF 1100 ATAS DCT ES
77 Posts
I recently had a contact with noco for their jumpstarters. I asked them if their starters are suitable for lithium motorcycle batteries and their answer is this one:

Chris G (NOCO)

Nov 1, 2022, 07:59 MST

Manolis,

Thanks for contacting NOCO Support.

Some Lithium batteries are not able to be jump started, so check with your battery manufacturer. Any lithium battery that is safe to jump start (based on manufacture specs) can be used with Boost. Check with the battery manufacturer first to confirm. If the BMS has shut off, the Boost will likely need to be used in manual override to first reset the BMS, but again, check with the manufacturer to confirm proper battery operation.
Please let us know if you have any additional questions.
Regards,
Chris G
NOCO Support Team Leader”

·
Premium Member
Crf1100 ATAS ES Manual
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I recently had a contact with noco for their jumpstarters. I asked them if their starters are suitable for lithium motorcycle batteries and their answer is this one:

Chris G (NOCO)

Nov 1, 2022, 07:59 MST

Manolis,

Thanks for contacting NOCO Support.

Some Lithium batteries are not able to be jump started, so check with your battery manufacturer. Any lithium battery that is safe to jump start (based on manufacture specs) can be used with Boost. Check with the battery manufacturer first to confirm. If the BMS has shut off, the Boost will likely need to be used in manual override to first reset the BMS, but again, check with the manufacturer to confirm proper battery operation.
Please let us know if you have any additional questions.
Regards,
Chris G
NOCO Support Team Leader”
Doesn't sound good :rolleyes: You know there will be a moment when the battery dies and the trouble begins to get home, hoping you're not on a holiday some thousand miles away...
What battery manufacturer does Honda uses for the ATAS?

·
Registered
909 Posts
Wow,
After reading that article on jumping a LI-ion battery, what pain in the butt. Jumping regular lead acid batteries from lead acid batteries is childs play compared. But I guess it's just the nature of progress and especially where batteries are concerned. I'll to try and remember that procedure. I purchased our '18 AT/AS/DCT brand new back in April of '20 with no miles on it. This is the 31st of Oct of '22. I'm pretty darn sure that it has the original battery in it. That makes my battery around 4, possibly even close to 5 years old. So far, with around 6,000 miles on it, it's starting the bike just fine. But there may come a time, maybe in the not too distant future, I may need a jump. Hmmmm.
Scott
It may be a while before you need to worry about battery replacement. I have noticed at least one manufacturer of Lithium batteries are offering 11 year warranties. One would think if they offer 11 years, then the battery should last at least that long and not 7 or 8 years. Of course, they could be hoping the vehicle will die or change ownership before the battery dies. Indications are good that the majority of these batteries will have a long service life.

·
Premium Member
Crf1100 ATAS ES Manual
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It may be a while before you need to worry about battery replacement. I have noticed at least one manufacturer of Lithium batteries are offering 11 year warranties. One would think if they offer 11 years, then the battery should last at least that long and not 7 or 8 years. Of course, they could be hoping the vehicle will die or change ownership before the battery dies. Indications are good that the majority of these batteries will have a long service life.
That's indeed a long lifetime for a battery.

·
Registered
909 Posts
After reading this is there a recommended jump pack that anyone has run across that you could plug into an SAE plug to "jump"/charge a lithium battery? Also and recommended battery tenders for winter?
The battery packs I have seen usually come with a number of connection styles that are interchangeable. If they don't have an SAE connector with the kit, there is probably one available.

·
Registered
2020 CRF 1100 ATAS DCT ES
77 Posts
After reading this is there a recommended jump pack that anyone has run across that you could plug into an SAE plug to "jump"/charge a lithium battery? Also and recommended battery tenders for winter?
Jump and charge is completely different procedures. You can safely use Optimate chargers for charging ( of course there are and other brands) for lithium batteries into sae plug. You can use it also for tender in during winter

·
Registered
41 Posts
Jump and charge is completely different procedures. You can safely use Optimate chargers for charging ( of course there are and other brands) for lithium batteries into sae plug. You can use it also for tender in during winter
Right, I was referring to the article on "jumping" a lithium battery. Since you aren't really jumping it but putting enough charge into to start it... unlike a regular lead/acid battery that you can just hook up and jump right off the bat.

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
912 Posts
Had a conversation on adv with antigravity if it helps.....https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/time-for-antigravity-batteries-black-friday-sale-for-all-of-your-lithium-needs.1528226/page-2#post-42956666

Ok so here is sort of the issue.. the HOnda Eliiy battery , as we understand has a non- replaceable circuit breaker or fuse in side of it. So I do not want to make any erroneous claims about this product since we have not opened them or specifically tested with them. But our batteries can be jump started and I will give you that method which you should be successful with the Eliiy Battery as well, but I can't make an absolute guarantee. But in general a Jump STarter really can't hurt a Lithium battery unless you are bouncing energized clamps off the batteries terminals. And you can't do that with our XP1 since it will not provide energy to the Battery unless all the connections are correct.

The reason they say not to jump Start lithium Batteries in some Motorcycles is because they have a BMS inside and the figure if done incorrectly it could damage the BMS. But to be clear the voltage on our MIcro Start jump Starter is LOWER than that of the battery in the bikes so there should not be any issues. So you would want to make sure when jump a lithium battery that you solidly connect the clamps to the battery itself first. Then plug the clamps into the jump starter. This is the best way to ensure there is not sparks.... though our Jump STarter is spark proof anyway. Then do the start , and remove the jump starter immediately, meaning within about 15 -30 seconds.

Another cool product we offer that makes this simpler is a Clampless Harnes Kit that attaches directly to the battery itself and you this harness directly outside from under the seat. THen if you need to ever jump start the vehicle you DON"T have to use the clamps or access the battery under the seat. You simply plug the XP1 directly into the harness, jumps start the bike an pull off XP1. Makes it super easy and also eliminates any chances or anything odd.

·
Premium Member
Crf1100 ATAS ES Manual
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Had a conversation on adv with antigravity if it helps.....https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/time-for-antigravity-batteries-black-friday-sale-for-all-of-your-lithium-needs.1528226/page-2#post-42956666

Ok so here is sort of the issue.. the HOnda Eliiy battery , as we understand has a non- replaceable circuit breaker or fuse in side of it. So I do not want to make any erroneous claims about this product since we have not opened them or specifically tested with them. But our batteries can be jump started and I will give you that method which you should be successful with the Eliiy Battery as well, but I can't make an absolute guarantee. But in general a Jump STarter really can't hurt a Lithium battery unless you are bouncing energized clamps off the batteries terminals. And you can't do that with our XP1 since it will not provide energy to the Battery unless all the connections are correct.

The reason they say not to jump Start lithium Batteries in some Motorcycles is because they have a BMS inside and the figure if done incorrectly it could damage the BMS. But to be clear the voltage on our MIcro Start jump Starter is LOWER than that of the battery in the bikes so there should not be any issues. So you would want to make sure when jump a lithium battery that you solidly connect the clamps to the battery itself first. Then plug the clamps into the jump starter. This is the best way to ensure there is not sparks.... though our Jump STarter is spark proof anyway. Then do the start , and remove the jump starter immediately, meaning within about 15 -30 seconds.

Another cool product we offer that makes this simpler is a Clampless Harnes Kit that attaches directly to the battery itself and you this harness directly outside from under the seat. THen if you need to ever jump start the vehicle you DON"T have to use the clamps or access the battery under the seat. You simply plug the XP1 directly into the harness, jumps start the bike an pull off XP1. Makes it super easy and also eliminates any chances or anything odd.

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
912 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts