Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2017 DCT
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh boy... another dreaded oil discussion. Yeah sorry, but I have never owned a DCT.

When I bought the bike a couple weeks ago, it had 6,500 miles on it and on the few short rides I took, I really didn't like the standard DRIVE setting. I got where I would immediately change to SPORT.

Well, as with any used bike I purchase, I changed the oil and filters as quickly as possible. About 8 years ago, I started using Shell Rotella T6 5w40 synthetic with everything and every bike I own. My only complaint was it would occasionally shear quickly and bikes would consume it a little. Then my mechanic friend suggested that I mix T4 15w40 conventional and T6 5w40 synthetic in a half/half mixture and give that a go, a home-blend semi-synthetic that fully carries the JASO clutch certs. It has been a spectacular success in my Enduro Race Bike, my VFRX and the wife's X300 and her KLX250S.

OH MY GOODNESS.... It is like I have a whole new transmission. Shifts are spot on, smooth and a pleasure regardless of the setting. I can now see why there is a DRIVE and a SPORT.

No need to flame me for NOT using 30wt.... T4/T6 is my oil of choice... maybe forever.

I am just amazed the improvement in the DCT was so darn noticeable.

Anyone had similar experiences with nothing but an oil change?

PS. I am using the Bosch 3300 oil filter, cause that is what I also use for the VFRX and have a dozen of them on the shelf. It is a little longer than stock, but still has good clearance for the skid plate.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sure it can make a difference. For example my 2014 Silverado had a torque converter shudder that was common on those trucks. They changed the converter and transmission and it continued. A simple swap to a non factory branded fully synthetic ATF, this switch fixed it totally, no more shudder and much crisper shifts. Same thing for the noisy rear differential, a switch to a full syn fixed that too and i received a fuel economy increase as a side benefit.....

When it comes to bikes i have never homebrewed a oil like you are. I see no benefit to it. For me i have always switched to full syn in whatever weight is called for by the owners manual and i have never had an issue with performance.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Good result here for you, well done.

The only reason I stick with 10w-30 is that Honda designed the engine lubrication system {oil passage ways, pumps, relief valves, drillings for bearing lubrication etc etc) for a 30w at operating temperature. If I used something thicker, would there be any effect on oil flow to critical parts, I honestly don't know. I do know that Honda know more that I do, after all they designed the thing.

While on the subject of oil, my 2019 had had two oil changes done at the dealer. I've just changed it myself and the old oil had done 1,000 miles due to Covid. It came out black and made me wonder if the dealer had changed and if so what did they put in it. The engine smoothness and gear changes are now on another level. I don't know if its psychological or not, but there is something refreshing doing it yourself and knowing what is actually in the engine and not just on the invoice.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'm running the honda spec oil. Recently switched to the 10/30 hp4s synthetic. On my manual, I did notice a change, shifts seemed even more butter smooth than normal.

But yeah, I don't know if it's psychological or what, but the clutch and gear box always seem so much more smooth after I change the oil, even when I was running the dino.

·
Super Moderator
4,971 Posts
I'm running the honda spec oil. Recently switched to the 10/30 hp4s synthetic. On my manual, I did notice a change, shifts seemed even more butter smooth than normal.

But yeah, I don't know if it's psychological or what, but the clutch and gear box always seem so much more smooth after I change the oil, even when I was running the dino.
It is not imagination. It is real, especially if the synthetic oil is from good quality stock.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Good result here for you, well done.

The only reason I stick with 10w-30 is that Honda designed the engine lubrication system {oil passage ways, pumps, relief valves, drillings for bearing lubrication etc etc) for a 30w at operating temperature. If I used something thicker, would there be any effect on oil flow to critical parts, I honestly don't know. I do know that Honda know more that I do, after all they designed the thing.

While on the subject of oil, my 2019 had had two oil changes done at the dealer. I've just changed it myself and the old oil had done 1,000 miles due to Covid. It came out black and made me wonder if the dealer had changed and if so what did they put in it. The engine smoothness and gear changes are now on another level. I don't know if its psychological or not, but there is something refreshing doing it yourself and knowing what is actually in the engine and not just on the invoice.
I do all my own oil changes, have for more than 15+ years on multiple makes and models. They all come out black and I never delay a change. I always use the specified weight and qualification. I would not worry about the color. Now, whether or not they changed it still may be in question, but don't link it to the color.

·
Super Moderator
4,971 Posts
I do all my own oil changes, have for more than 15+ years on multiple makes and models. They all come out black and I never delay a change. I always use the specified weight and qualification. I would not worry about the color. Now, whether or not they changed it still may be in question, but don't link it to the color.
" ... oh, and by the way, we checked your valve clearances. They're good! Isn't that great?
So, oil change, valve inspection, ... did you want the empty oil bottles?"

Honda client: "Can I see the oil filters?"

"Oil filters? Um, let see if Gunner kept 'em ... HEY GUNNER? Gunner? ... hey Hank, where's Gunner?"

"Gunners took dat dare trash with dee oil filters and such to da dump and gone fer lunch."

"Okay, sorry sir, didn't save the oil filters."

Honda client: "Any pictures or report on the valve clearances?"

"Oh, um, ... our garage mobile camera ran out of digital film. Sorry."

"Where were we, ... um, ... yeah, that'll be $625 before Uncle Sam's take and disposal environmental fees."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts