Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang,
Recently, my son and his family came over to our little corner of the planet for a visit. I had to run down to a boat parts supply and pick up a power steering hose. So, we decided to take the bike(s). I jumped on my BMW K1600 GTL-E and he jumped on the A/T-AS-DCT. The place we went was only about 2 miles away or so and we could only get to residential speeds of about 25-30 mph or so.

When we returned back home and parked the bikes, he asked me if I'd adjusted the A/T's chain at any time. Well, I told him yes because, I think I created a thread on here about adjusting it with the side stand etc. But, he commented on how loud that chain is and he could hear it quite easily.

Now, mind you, I'm 69 and closing in on 70 later this year. Several years (35+) of fire truck operations have yielded me with less than even basic quality hearing. Oh I can hear, just not EVERYTHING! But, without a doubt, I myself think the general operation/riding/acceleratiing/decelerating etc. with the A/T is quite possibly one of the quietest bikes I've owned and I've owned a zillion (almost!).

So, with all that being said, can you folks actually hear your chains, in any form of riding? By the way, my '18 A/T only has around 6,000 miles on the clock and, I'm for the most part, quite easy on my bikes so, the wear factor is not present.
Scott

Reactions: ssokolich

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
657 Posts
I don't here mine, but can feel it. I run it loose, too loose and the dct 1st shift gets a little sloppy. After a new rear spring having removed the shock I tested how the chain tightens up as the swing arm goes up. Now I know if I have the bike on the side stand, push up on the bottom of the chain, it shouldn't hit the aft end of the plastic swing arm chain guide. But a certain force pushing needs to be taken into consideration.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yes, the chain, motor, exhaust, DCT actuator, trans shifting, fuel with key on, all heard.

But none of them matter because the awful wind noise and buffeting issues with this bike over powers them all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'll have to check the clearance when pressing up from rear of chain guide. For me, if it hits the swingarm when pressed from mid-point between sprockets, I'm good. Better too loose than too tight. And to address the original question, I do hear my chain. It's loose enough to make a rattle noise. And if it gets too dry, I hear a droning, "wah, wah, wah," sound. That's not good and I carry the lube. I did a 500 mile day on Sunday and had to give the chain a spray. I got 20k miles on the first chain and have about 22k miles on the second and it may start displaying symptoms of wear soon. 2018 CRF 1000 L manual shift.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I can barely hear mine. Indicating its happy.
Next time your son is around have him sit on the bike and you recheck tension. You might be surprised.
Unless your chain + sprockets are totally shagged your not going to derail a 525 chain.
I wish honda went for a 530 on the AT

Reactions: Lupolee

·
Registered
58 Posts
When riding, hearing the chain is dependent on having a large reflective surface nearby for the sound to bounce off. I take far more notice of the sounds my chain makes when pushing the bike into the shed. Nice and quiet, no engine noise, no helmet.
Keep it well lubed and adjusted on the side stand and it should be quiet throughout its service life. If it goes on the dirt like mine, make sure the front sprocket doesn't get sticky on the output shaft.You may have noticed that it normally floats around a bit in service. I take mine off every couple thousand for a clean and re grease of the splines.

·
Premium Member
HONDA AFRICA TWIN DCT 2019
31 Posts
Well , TBH I hear my chain only of the offroad sections while brapping the dirt parts or the rocky sections. Instant gear shifts / hard downshifts , slides etc make me hear them all whatever bike is abusing to my ears...

On the smooth tarmac and easy ride, if i hear my chain...its probably saying to me she needs a change... or tightening .

Get a visual check of your sprockets. If a teeth is missing , you definitely need a change for entire chain set.

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
4,001 Posts
Chain slap on rough trails, but usually all I hear is music playing and the exhaust over that at acceleration and deceleration ..
But b4 the Remus can and without music, I’m pretty sure that i could hear the chain ..

·
Registered
299 Posts
Curious what kind of mileage everyone is getting on their chains. I wax mine about every 500 - 600 miles, keep it clean and adjusted pretty well in the middle of the range. With 16,000 miles on it the indicator on the port side is right between the green and the red and I am heading out in late may for a 7,000 mile ride (mostly paved). Not sure if I should replace before I go. Sprocket teeth look good to me and the chain seems to flex well, is not sloppy, and does not bind. Your thoughts?
Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Car Motor vehicle
Wheel Bicycle Tire Automotive tire Crankset

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sprocket teeth look good to me and the chain seems to flex well,
The Rear sprocket is showing a little bit of wear as the driving tension of the chain has worn away the back sides of the teeth. However, I would expect the front sprocket (doing roughly 3 revolutions for every one on the rear sprocket) would show serious signs of wear, if it was the same age. To assess the chain, try and pull it away from the rear sprocket by grasping a link and applying force in a radial direction. Any tendency to lift away from the sprocket is cause for concern.
From what I can see, and the wear indicator being on the edge of the red zone, if think 7000 miles with this combination would be risky.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey gang,
Recently, my son and his family came over to our little corner of the planet for a visit. I had to run down to a boat parts supply and pick up a power steering hose. So, we decided to take the bike(s). I jumped on my BMW K1600 GTL-E and he jumped on the A/T-AS-DCT. The place we went was only about 2 miles away or so and we could only get to residential speeds of about 25-30 mph or so.

When we returned back home and parked the bikes, he asked me if I'd adjusted the A/T's chain at any time. Well, I told him yes because, I think I created a thread on here about adjusting it with the side stand etc. But, he commented on how loud that chain is and he could hear it quite easily.

Now, mind you, I'm 69 and closing in on 70 later this year. Several years (35+) of fire truck operations have yielded me with less than even basic quality hearing. Oh I can hear, just not EVERYTHING! But, without a doubt, I myself think the general operation/riding/acceleratiing/decelerating etc. with the A/T is quite possibly one of the quietest bikes I've owned and I've owned a zillion (almost!).

So, with all that being said, can you folks actually hear your chains, in any form of riding? By the way, my '18 A/T only has around 6,000 miles on the clock and, I'm for the most part, quite easy on my bikes so, the wear factor is not present.
Scott
I don’t generally hear my chain. Unless i put my ear up to it. Then I hear the ocean. 🙂 Obviously just kidding. Actually I do hear mine. More so when coasting to a stop. Not so much when under power that I’ve noticed. But it doesn’t seem to be that noticeable to me. My hearing is getting older to. 63 this june. Worked in computing and telecommunication labs most of my life. Lots of fan noise.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I hear what I perceive to be chain slap when I hit a down depression and back up. Don't hear it on bumps etc. Just a quick growl and then I hear nothing after the depression.

Then again my hearing is crap after 35 years working around jet aircraft. Air start units, GPU's and the jet engines themselves are tough on your ears. But when my wife ask me to do something I'd rather avoid, I play the "Sorry, I didn't hear you card".

Worked in computing and telecommunication labs most of my life. Lots of fan noise.

·
Registered
2019 ATAS DCT
657 Posts
Ive wanted a laser chain alignment tool for some time, finally got one. Works a treat. At first use I found the back wheel was off just a bit, say maybe 2 wrench turns on the bolt head. Moved one side back and the other forward to maintain correct chain tension. It probably won't be visible outside but in the garage placed against the lower rear sprocket and turning the wheel slowly you can track the laser without removing any guards. I'm sure it will help with chain wear. Bought without the magnetic base, didn't want to loose it.

Reactions: DoubleThumper

·
Super Moderator
9,102 Posts
Ive wanted a laser chain alignment tool for some time, finally got one. Works a treat. At first use I found the back wheel was off just a bit, say maybe 2 wrench turns on the bolt head. Moved one side back and the other forward to maintain correct chain tension. It probably won't be visible outside but in the garage placed against the lower rear sprocket and turning the wheel slowly you can track the laser without removing any guards. I'm sure it will help with chain wear. Bought without the magnetic base, didn't want to loose it.
Coolio.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have significant chain noise under acceleration. Been trying to work at this for weeks now to no avail… 2017 AT manual with 4400 miles, no wear on either sprocket, and tensioned to spec (40mm). As soon as I give it throttle it makes a terrible whirring noise. Really unsure what is causing it. Never had this issue until I swapped back to the stock tires (knobbies had worn out and I found a good deal on some lightly used ones, I mostly ride road).

appreciate any insight!

·
Keeping’em Moderatorated
2018 Adventure Sports DCT
4,001 Posts
Here’s when I thought, maybe I should change mine on my old bike…
Bicycle Wheel Crankset Tire Bicycle frame

Wheel Bicycle Automotive tire Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

Figured I do it along with the brakes that were about ready to be changed..
Wood Tool Automotive exterior Bumper Gas
Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

• Wow
Reactions: MacNobody
1 - 20 of 20 Posts