Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my new AT but Honda in all their intelligence has holes for US motorcycle plates that do not fit Canadian ones. Ours are slightly wider.

So now I have a $30,000 bike I either have to drill into or zip tie to mount my plate until Honda figures their **** out.

What a bunch of short sighted idiots.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Canadian Car plates are the same size as the US plates - I wonder why Canada decided to make the motorcycle plates different than the US.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Got my new AT but Honda in all their intelligence has holes for US motorcycle plates that do not fit Canadian ones. Ours are slightly wider.

So now I have a $30,000 bike I either have to drill into or zip tie to mount my plate until Honda figures their **** out.

What a bunch of short sighted idiots.

Perhaps your bike was meant to be delivered to the US instead of Canada. It doesn't happen often but it would not be the first time a new vehicle ended up at the wrong destination.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perhaps your bike was meant to be delivered to the US instead of Canada. It doesn't happen often but it would not be the first time a new vehicle ended up at the wrong destination.
I got the DCT and my dealer just unpacked a manual one with the same thing. They contacted Honda Canada and they said it is their miss and that they are working on a solution ASAP.

My VIN says it is Canadian. It's actually number 5 for all Canadian models. I'm not really sure if there is a difference between the US or Canadian one but mine is a CRF1100D4 with a Transport Canada stamp on the VIN plate which means it is Canadian.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Canadian Car plates are the same size as the US plates - I wonder why Canada decided to make the motorcycle plates different than the US.
I have no idea. I agree with you. All of North America has the same license plate size for cars and trucks. Either US or Canadian governments decided to not play nice with each other as a small sign of rebellion maybe? >:)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't use the holes. Use some 3M grey VHB foam double face tape. It will never let go and no bolts to fuss or rust. More importantly, your AT will be lighter. :grin2:
I think Honda wanting to lighten the bike is the whole reason us Canadians are in this mess. lol But I like your thinking. :grin2:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Personally I would of just elongated the holes on the plate..
Wow you get up early. >:)

Yeah. That is what I am thinking now. I have the technology! It is about to get above freezing and the ice is going away on the roads. I want to at least get in some initial rides to start to get a feel for this bike. Once I am confident on it I will be commuting on it all in good time.

I never said it was unsolvable, just a kind of stupidly simple overlook on Honda's behalf. I am a Honda fan and this is just a very small niggle.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Wow you get up early. /forum/images/AfricaTwinForum/smilies/tango_face_devil.png

Yeah. That is what I am thinking now. I have the technology! It is about to get above freezing and the ice is going away on the roads. I want to at least get in some initial rides to start to get a feel for this bike. Once I am confident on it I will be commuting on it all in good time.

I never said it was unsolvable, just a kind of stupidly simple overlook on Honda's behalf. I am a Honda fan and this is just a very small niggle.
Nothing implied with my statement, just over stating the obvious, I kinda just thought you didn’t want to do it like that because of possible rust issues with the plate. I agree, and the dealers didn’t seem to help the issue, I’m sure you’re not the first to complain and they didn’t help resolve it before you even got it...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You paid 30K for the bike!??
That is rounded up in Canadian dollars after accessories and tax. I got an excellent price for my trade and a discount on accessories so that is not what I paid, just what is on the bill of sale. I have no complaints.

A BMW 1250 GSA here after accessories and tax is $40k easy and they don't negotiate.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm Canadian and I've drilled holes in most of my license plates for them to fit. The other option is to make a little bracket to convert the spacing, but meh, its just a license plate...I just drill it :)

·
Registered
814 Posts
A quick buzz with the Dremel or a steel bit in your drill will remedy the situation in a minute or two. The holes just need to be about a few MM longer on each side before it'll fit.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Whoa!
When I posted that “statement” I had wholeheartedly assumed that he had though of it and didn’t want to do it cause of the plate rusting or some other aesthetic reason and figured I get a response from him of why, I really just should of asked him why he didn’t want to “fix” the holes other than the valid point of, he or any other Canadian SHOULDN’T have to do that.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Not sure if all Canadian plates are the same dimensions but I never had to do anything with my 2017 for it to fit. Did you run it by your dealer to check if there is another variation of the plate bracket, maybe the wrong one was put on during assembly.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Whoa!
When I posted that “statement” I had wholeheartedly assumed that he had though of it and didn’t want to do it cause of the plate rusting or some other aesthetic reason and figured I get a response from him of why, I really just should of asked him why he didn’t want to “fix” the holes other than the valid point of, he or any other Canadian SHOULDN’T have to do that.
I am not sure about Canada, but in the US all modern plates are made from aluminum afaik and won't rust. I have had to drill 4 new holes for a couple of bikes (KTM's) in the past, because the holes in the bracket weren't even remotely close to those on the plate.

I have never had an issue doing so other than aesthetics, which never bothered me, but I suppose you could add a lightweight plastic or aluminum frame to aid in covering the modification if it does.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
771 Posts
I am not sure about Canada, but in the US all modern plates are made from aluminum afaik and won't rust. I have had to drill 4 new holes for a couple of bikes (KTM's) in the past, because the holes in the bracket weren't even remotely close to those on the plate.

I have never had an issue doing so other than aesthetics, which never bothered me, but I suppose you could add a lightweight plastic or aluminum frame to aid in covering the modification if it does.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
Crappy aluminum mix that sometimes oxidizes (a.k.a. rust).. lol I need to find some pics of that, I’ve had one plate do it and have seen others every so often, but granted not to often...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts