Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm about a little over a week in and 400 miles of owning the new adventure sports and have not been able to figure out any rhyme or reason to pairing my packtalk headset to the dash on the new CRF 1100. I'm hoping someone has already dealt with this and can shed some light on what I could do better/different.

Initially it was paired to my phone, which led to me having to go to the bike's dash menu and telling it to pair to the headset. Sometimes it wouldn't work and I'd have to cycle power on the headset.

I told my phone to forget about this bluetooth device and I have had better luck getting it to now pair with the bike, but it most times will not do this automatically and I have to go through the bike's menu to pair. I've tried turning the headset on before the bike and vice versa with similar results.

Another thing I've noticed is sometimes music is very loud were I can have the dash volume set to maybe 30%. Other times I will have to turn the volume to max and it still seems low. Each of these times I always check both my headset volume and my phone's volume and they are maxed out. One time in the middle of a ride it changed the amplification from loud to quiet. It seems if I cycle power on the headset it bumps the volume up again.

Anyone else had these issues, any solutions yet? Even though the menu on the bike is pretty easy to navigate, it'd be great if it just worked, paired once both the bike and headset were on, and I could just take off for my ride when ready.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have a sena 10u and it paired to the bike fine, I had the same issue with volume when the music was playing, its was maxed out on the phone, headset and almost max on the bike settings and still wasn’t that loud. I’ve just downloaded iOS 13.4.1, deleted all the pairing from the headset and my phone on the bike and repaired them all.

The good news is now everything is very loud and as long as you wait a minute or two, it all connects fine (although initially it wasn’t). If youR having problems, delete all devices on the phone and bike and start again. Add the phone as a phone and add the headset as a headset, dont add it as another phone.

Have you tried Apple CarPlay yet, here’s a pic of google maps satellite view.

·
Registered
171 Posts
When you have it all connected you’ll get all these icons in the top left hand corner, just been out to the garage again, switch the bike on, plugged in the phone and switched the sena on and it all connected within about 10 seconds or so.
89E44D90-6DFE-4025-8312-EFF6877C6DB1.jpeg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a sena 10u and it paired to the bike fine, I had the same issue with volume when the music was playing, its was maxed out on the phone, headset and almost max on the bike settings and still wasn’t that loud. I’ve just downloaded iOS 13.4.1, deleted all the pairing from the headset and my phone on the bike and repaired them all.

The good news is now everything is very loud and as long as you wait a minute or two, it all connects fine (although initially it wasn’t). If youR having problems, delete all devices on the phone and bike and start again. Add the phone as a phone and add the headset as a headset, dont add it as another phone.

Have you tried Apple CarPlay yet, here’s a pic of google maps satellite view.
Ok, I’ll try removing all pairings and re-pair, plus update to the latest IOS and report back.

I have tried CarPlay and it works well. Only gripe is if I don’t have CarPlay displayed it won’t let me change tracks from the handlebar buttons.

·
Registered
171 Posts
As long as the phones plugged in and your headset is paired, to swop between the main screen and CarPlay, all you do is pull the small button on the top of the left side switchgear Towards you, each time you use the switch (pull towards you) changes from home screen to CarPlay. To quickly adjust the volume use the function switch on the top of the left switchgear (pulling or pushing activates the volume control).
E87C8C7B-E333-4758-99BB-4D1694109D59.jpeg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So 1500 mile update (took a little over a month 😉) I've still had multiple issues with the cardo linked to the bike. Sometimes it works, other times I'm turning everything off and on again because everything will connect but music will not be played through the cardo. It's also been an issue with phone calls where audio will not pass through. I've updated and re-paired all devices and still have this issue from time to time (seems about 50/50 for when it works/doesn't work.

And for carplay button issue. I know it's pretty easy to switch between screens, but it's also annoying when you have a dedicated track switch buttons and they only work in when the carplay screen is shown.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, i have a cardo freecom 4+ and have same issues pairing sometimes, normaly better way i found to avoid problems is to turn on cardo, wait like 5 mins so he can be ready to connect with the bike and then turn on the bike and just wait, most times works good.

But im have a problem and maybe someone can help me, when i use car play and try to connect to a friend with another Cardo unit, i need to decide if i pair with the bike and have Car play or i connect with my friend and then i cant use car play to be able get i.e. google maps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a cardo packtalk slim, and was having countless frustration with the 1100s systems. So much so that I figured I would buy a new headset to try out.. got the packtalk bold. Same issues. Most often it will say its paired, but no sound works, then sometimes it shuts the headset off.... (thats new, as I have never had it shut off before) Then other times the headset just doesn't pair at all and I have to shut everything down and slowly connect 1 system at a time. bike, then headset, then phone/car play. Mostly though, it says everything is connected, but no music will come through headset. Very frustrated with this setup. Sounds like folks with Sena are having much better luck. Sure wish Sena would create a waterproof unit....

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Although not a helpful and constructive statement, my Cardo Freedom 2+ works great along side with the 2019 Honda Africa Twin. :coffee:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Ken,
i have Cardo bold and have sometimes same problem. I have also a 50usd M1S and with that one no problem at all only the sound is worse. I have the Cardo in Bluetooth mode not in DMC but it should work also on DMC mode.
May be the Honda Bluetooth is running on a lower version 4.1 and not yet on 5.
It is for most manufacturers a headache BLE is standardized but the implementation in a product not.
We use BLE for roomthermostats with a BLE scanner we see it but with the App on the same device not. So it is a very difficult proces sometimes I think back to the old fashion wires.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) is indeed common these days. I am wondering if the environment is challenging for the signal, that is, EMI from the ignition and sometimes the BLE stack gets "reset" or something similar, and the apps can't handle that situation? Haven't researched it, but maybe something worthwhile to appreciate.

·
Super Moderator
1,946 Posts
Here’s what I’ve found on my Sena when I have pretty much the same issues connecting and working with my zumo. & iPhone ..
Hopefully it will help you too..
I HAVE to let the phone connect AND sync with the GPS ( yea I know we’re not talking about gps issues) then connect the headset (Sena). Otherwise I have the same issues ( except turning off)
I usually just keep the Sena powered down till it’s all connected & synced ...
Try it you never know...

·
Registered
228 Posts
What mode is everyone using to pair the cardo to the AT system? Are you using 'pair phone (red/blue)' or 'pair gps (red/green)' mode?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi All,

I'm about a little over a week in and 400 miles of owning the new adventure sports and have not been able to figure out any rhyme or reason to pairing my packtalk headset to the dash on the new CRF 1100. I'm hoping someone has already dealt with this and can shed some light on what I could do better/different.

Initially it was paired to my phone, which led to me having to go to the bike's dash menu and telling it to pair to the headset. Sometimes it wouldn't work and I'd have to cycle power on the headset.

I told my phone to forget about this bluetooth device and I have had better luck getting it to now pair with the bike, but it most times will not do this automatically and I have to go through the bike's menu to pair. I've tried turning the headset on before the bike and vice versa with similar results.

Another thing I've noticed is sometimes music is very loud were I can have the dash volume set to maybe 30%. Other times I will have to turn the volume to max and it still seems low. Each of these times I always check both my headset volume and my phone's volume and they are maxed out. One time in the middle of a ride it changed the amplification from loud to quiet. It seems if I cycle power on the headset it bumps the volume up again.

Anyone else had these issues, any solutions yet? Even though the menu on the bike is pretty easy to navigate, it'd be great if it just worked, paired once both the bike and headset were on, and I could just take off for my ride when ready.
I don’t know if this video will help you
Go to 1.55 and he explains how to get round the issues

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the Packtalk Bold JBL and tried pairing to the ATAS but really didn't see any advantage so I just pair with my Android phone. I have a Zumo 395 and was paired with it as phone 2 but disconnected because it was too annoying. I ride a lot with three buds all of us have the Packtalks and they work great for group conversations while riding.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Check your firmware of the Cardo recently they launched version 5.7.
Mine bold is working fine first turn bike on then turn bold on carplay will automatic startup if the bike has connected with the cardo bold. If turn off your bike Turn also your Cardo bold off.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts