Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I’m having some issues trying to manage the connections between CarPlay, my Sena SRL and the Cardo Freecom 2+ on my wife’s helmet.

Basically, when the Sena is connected with the bike’s unit, the intercom communication with Cardo shuts down. I’ve tried everything from pairing the intercoms, before turning on the bike’s display, and vice versa.

If I’m riding alone, I have no worries, since the Sena connects perfectly to the bike. However, it has been impossible riding with my wife with both intercoms connected, and hearing GPS instructions simultaneously, for instance.

Anyone with similar issues ‘round here?

Thanks and ride safe!

· Registered
2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
243 Posts
Do you also have the Sena paired to your phone? And does that stay connected?

How do you have the bike paired? phone, phone 2 or GPS?

The reason i ask is there are only 2 available bluetooth connections and "universal pairing" will absorb one of them. I believe the Sena uses the phone 2/gps bluetooth channel for universal intercom. If you have the bike setup as phone 2 or GPS it will kick it off to setup universal pairing.

If you have it paired to a phone try deleting that pairing or all pairings and see if you can pair the bike as phone 1 and try universal intercom again.

Beyond that my only other suggestion would be either replace the freecom with a sena( although you may run into a host of other issues that i can expand on if you want ) or get a Cardo unit for your helmet. Over the years i have found that trying to connect two different brands never works out too well, unexpected issues always seem to pop up.

For what its worth the Cardo is not a hard install on a Neotech or GT Air at all. I did it on ours after we switched off of the SRL in favor of Packtalk Bolds.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi JB882!

I already tried it all. Paired only with iPhone, paired only with the bike, paired with both,…

The connection from Sena that I use with the bike, is main phone. Sena has an option for universal intercom pairing, and that’s the one connected with Cardo.

The impression it gives me, is that these channels get overlapped and unable to be used simultaneously.

Thanks for your help!

· Registered
243 Posts
You could be right, i never tried it with my SRL when we had them. I did do it once with my old 20s which the SRL is based off. Back then i had a phone connected and could do music and intercom at the same time. There were some definite differences between the SRL and 20s so i would not be shocked if this functionality was different.

Maybe try doing a pair as a GPS for the bike? So it forces the bike onto on the second channel.

Here are the instructions if you have never done it.
1. Turn on the headset and press the Center Button for 12 seconds until you hear high-toned double beeps. You will hear a voice prompt saying “Configuration menu”.

2. Within 2 seconds, tap the (+) Button 3 times, then the LED turns to green flashing and the beeps turn to multiple mid-toned beeps. You will hear the voice prompt, “GPS pairing”.

3. Search for Bluetooth devices on the GPS navigation screen. Select the Sena SRL in the list of the devices detected on the GPS.

4. Enter 0000 for the PIN.

5. The GPS confirms that pairing has completed and the SRL is ready to use. You will hear a voice prompt from the SRL saying “Your headset is paired”.

6. If the pairing process is not completed within three minutes, the
SRL2 will return to stand-by mode.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@JB882

Thanks for your inputs.

I did paired the SRL with the bike, on GPS option.

Still, the failure to simultaneously maintain an intercom conversation and GPS instructions or music from the bike’s unit, remains.

Heck, I actually paired Sena on all available options: GPS, second mobile phone, etc.

Maybe I’l think about getting a Sena intercom, replacing the wife’s Freecom, despite they’re both brand new and I’m really not in the mood to trash money.

Also, there’s no guarantee that the incompatibility isn’t on the bike’s unit.

Cheers!

· Registered
243 Posts
@JB882

Thanks for your inputs.

I did paired the SRL with the bike, on GPS option.

Still, the failure to simultaneously maintain an intercom conversation and GPS instructions or music from the bike’s unit, remains.

Heck, I actually paired Sena on all available options: GPS, second mobile phone, etc.

Maybe I’l think about getting a Sena intercom, replacing the wife’s Freecom, despite they’re both brand new and I’m really not in the mood to trash money.

Also, there’s no guarantee that the incompatibility isn’t on the bike’s unit.

Cheers!
I could be the bike but i suspect that its the differing comm brands. When you connect different brands its not using the native communication channel that is built into the unit any more, its using a bluetooth profile and as you are seeing now is can cause issues with other features.

If both units are brand new is there an opportunity to return the one on your wifes helmet and get a sena? Im trying to figure out why one would but two different brands for a rider to pillion setup, it seems liek a recipe for issues to me. As i mentioned before using two of the same brand is always a smoother experience than it using two different brands. The general rule of thumb is to get the same brand as the people you ride with, everything will work smoother that way.

Antoher rthing you could try, if you know someone with a sena unit try it with them and see if it works any differently before you make any more changes to equipment.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can try to swap Cardo for a Sena, but not sure if the dealer goes for that.

The reason I bought two different brands is that Sena was for my Shoei GT-Air, and Cardo was a much better deal, as stand alone unit. Never thought that could bring these incompatibility issues. Well, in fact I’m not sure if the devices are to blame.

· Registered
243 Posts
Im almost positive its the differing brands of comms that are causing this. Does it do the same thing if you pair your phone to the SRL, does it do the same thing and disconnect your phone?

Keep in mind you are pairing two communicators that are not natively designed to work together.

· Administrator
11,172 Posts
Bluetooth device pairing is supposed to follow international technical protocol standards, doesn't matter which version either. That said, a device may pair successfully, but it is another issue what the endpoints do with that successful communication pairing where the issue may lie.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im almost positive its the differing brands of comms that are causing this. Does it do the same thing if you pair your phone to the SRL, does it do the same thing and disconnect your phone?

Keep in mind you are pairing two communicators that are not natively designed to work together.
I didn’t try pairing the SRL directly to the phone. It’s a good test.

· Registered
Adventure Sports 2022
2 Posts
I didn’t try pairing the SRL directly to the phone. It’s a good test.
Hey Mecam, I realise that this is an old thread, but have you had any success? I'm planning to get an SRL2 for my GT-Air II, but my mate already has the cardo freetalk 4. Seeing that you had pairing issues, I want to make sure that I'm not throwing money away here.

Cheers!

· Administrator
11,172 Posts
Hey Mecam, I realise that this is an old thread, but have you had any success? I'm planning to get an SRL2 for my GT-Air II, but my mate already has the cardo freetalk 4. Seeing that you had pairing issues, I want to make sure that I'm not throwing money away here.

Cheers!
Welcome aboard the Forum @ArtemT.

Feel free to introduce yourself at the New Member Introductions area of the Forum.

· Registered
243 Posts

Cheers!
Do yourself a favor and just get the same unit your mate has. You will have a much better experience.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts