Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm brand new to the forum. I first started riding in college but have been away from it for nearly ten years. I have always wanted to get another bike and now I think that I may have a good opportunity to do so. I have a tendency to think outside the box, which is usually good, but sometimes I need to be reminded that there are times when the inside of the box isn't a bad place either. Generally, my wife helps me with this, but she knows nothing about motorcycles--hence this question on the forum.
I love in the LA Area. Traffic is bad, gas is expensive, lane splitting is legal, and motorcycles get free or reduced rates in express lanes. All of that points me to wanting to use a motorcycle for the new business that I'm starting, for which I travel to construction sites, perform a service for a few hours, and then leave. Because some of these sites have a rough, ungraded, dirt lot, I think that the Africa Twin would be a great fit.
However, I will need to bring a fair amount of equipment around with me. I will probably need a cargo box on the back, hard saddle bags, and a trailer holding a job site box like this one:
DEWALT Tough Chest 38 in. 63 Gal. Mobile Tool Box
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-Tough-Chest-38-in-63-Gal-Mobile-Tool-Box-DWST38000/205502769

I'm considering this trailer as it will track behind the bike well and I could easily weld up some apparatus that will lock the tough chest so that it doesn't grow legs:
https://www.eaglematetrailers.com/

I'm thinking that I could get my logo applied to hard cases on the bike itself and to the tough chest on the trailer.

I'm looking for general opinions here. Everything from, "You won't be taken seriously on a construction site!" to "Don't even think about loading down your bike that way!" to "That trailer is garbage. Buy 'xyz' trailer instead." to "That sounds awesome and totally doable. Please post a picture when you do it!" to "Just forget this idea and keep using a car like a normal person."

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Purely from the "using a bike/trailer" perspective, I can't see any advantage over using a car. Due to trailer length and maybe width, lane splitting will be a no no, so any "mororcycle" advantage will be negated. And trying to manoeuvre a heavy bike and a connected trailer around a construction site would be problematic.

If you were in Australia or Europe, I'd suggest something like a VW Caddy/Renault Kangoo etc, but I don't even know if they are available in the US.

I also don't think any red blooded American construction worker would rock up to a site in nothing less than a huge pickup, so that's my suggestions out the window.

What about a bike/sidecar outfit?

Bets of luck whatever you decide.

·
Registered
69 Posts
You're going to look pretty funny asking for help to back up when you pull into a bad spot on the job site and can't go forward to turn around. L.A. job sites can get really crowded. Get a pickup for work and keep the bike for play. You lose much of the ability to be nimble on a bike when you attach a trailer of any kind. Just $.02 worth from an old retired crane operator. We see a lot of "stuff" happen looking out the front window.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The AT is so much of a motorcycle to attach it to a trailer, you won't enjoy nor the bike nor the trailer.
Keep this one inside the box and get the best of the AT, you will not regret it.
For the job, get a pickup!!!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Even if all the above poster said wouldn't be such issues, you'll still need a spot to unload, take helmet jacket off and use your gear maybe under the rain,
because while parked this trailer might not be so stable and you don't want all you jacket helmet to be nicked, get wet or dirty on a construction site.
Also when going around the city and wanting food or coffee, where do you park with a motorcycle attached to a trailer, you're really taking away the park
anywhere advantage as well.

Like everyone else I think you can equip a car and be absolutely more efficient for this particular case and I'm an amateur photographer that travels with his
motorcycle, so I'm well aware of what good and annoying with loading the Africa Twin. What's so great for photography is being able to quickly go on tight
spots where cars would have issues going , but I don't think this is such an advantage in your case.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Am guessing that you need to carry slump cone, rod, cylinders, etc?.................maybe?

Which ever the case may be, there are plenty of large cases (rear), and also room at the passenger seat.
Personally , the side cases make the bike to wide for many, many locations (crap tight traffic such as Sunset between Doheny and Laurel Canyon, or Robinson between Beverly and the 10 frw. or the 101 between the 170 and the 405/and or Reseda exit where they added another lane by narrowing the others, and many other spots as you most likely already know).

Even without cases the AT is to wide for many areas, unless riding the yellow center of the road with the left turn signal on (looks like making a left some where).

Have commuted on the AT a couple of times, yet the Liter Sport bike (do have small GIVI 7 1/2 inch wide cases, that i can fit hard hat, water, measuring tools, safety glasses, ipad, folder file organizer, extra pair of gloves, small compressor with plug kit) is much better for commute.

Trailer? like some have mentioned..........................not practical at all.

Have been commuting from job to job site (construction) most of my life, and have tried many different setups which it comes down to many factors. What works for someone, may not work for others and vice versa.

Many years back have tried a VStrom which was a great commute bike (carry a lot more vs. the sport bike), and if had to pickup cylinders (empty from the lab) they went in to a large plastic bag on the passenger seat and tie it down.
Will do the same with the AT if needed.

Hope this helps, best regards.

·
Registered
284 Posts
My advice... attach a sidecar. Please.

Plenty of room for your tools and on weekends your wife can sit in the sidecar while you race through Mulholland Dr., getting her wheel off the ground around the tight corners.

It can be done. Never say die!

Gary

·
Registered
247 Posts
My GL1800 came with a trailer, and I had a good Bushtec with my GL1500. Gave the latter to my brother, and the former is hung from the ceiling of my shop. I have pulled both with about 200 lbs in the tub, and you don't even notice them back there. HOWEVER, just thinking of an emergency braking situation dissuades me from considering towing. I bloody well can't imagine what it would be like to tow behind an AT, or how you would create a safe hitch for it.

Use a car or truck for work, and enjoy the bike for what it was designed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for the input. I think that it could be fun, and certainly unique, but you're all validating my concerns. While I want to memorable on a site, I want the memory to be along the lines of, "Wow, let's hire that guy again," not "What a dufus--showing up to a construction site with a motorcycle and a little trailer."
Many thanks!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I am in the Orange County area and can see your process of thinking. Personally, I can say that I can not recall a day that has not gone by where a major freeway was not impacted or shut down due to a motorcyclist being down or dead. To add a trailer and so much extra weight to prohibit your stopping/maneuver ability seems like borrowing trouble. Cagers got used to seeing bikes on the carpool stripes but now that you can split any lane, the cagers are not looking. The other issue is construction sites are loading with sharp objects that are more likely picked up in the rear tire. A slow unnoticed leak with a trailer could put you in a world of hurt. Work when you must but ride to feel alive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts