Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had a link pipe put in to replace the Cat ? The position of the cat really annoys me as it is right where my heel should be (presume the Japanese have very small feet?) Linked to this is, if you've replaced it, did you get the bike remapped or leave as is ? Thanks

·
Registered
200 Posts
I can only speak for the UK but when planning any modifications I would also be mindful of possible effects on MOT emission tests. This maybe why riders are often advised to refit the stock exhaust for the test.

Just a thought!

·
Registered
800 Posts
No emission tests are carried out in the UK on motorcycles.

There are still no emissions tests carried out on bikes, besides the noise levels, which are purely down to the tester’s discretion. As long as there’s no mark saying ‘race use only’ or ‘not for road use’, an aftermarket exhaust could pass, though a current reason for rejection is if ‘the type of noise emitted is clearly in excess of that which would be produced by a similar machine fitted with a standard silencer in average condition.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I haven't worried about removing the cat, it eventually goes home when it gets hungry . . .

Or, if we are talking about the thing on the exhaust - never had a problem with my foot. Maybe it is a position thing, but my US11 (Euro 45) boots are not tiny but never have a problem with the cat. I normally have the arch over the middle of the pegs, with my foot placed like that the heel had plenty of room.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Or, if we are talking about the thing on the exhaust - never had a problem with my foot. Maybe it is a position thing, but my US11 (Euro 45) boots are not tiny but never have a problem with the cat. I normally have the arch over the middle of the pegs, with my foot placed like that the heel had plenty of room.
Ball of the foot for me 95% of the time so it really is a pain. I suppose I could get larger footpegs but doubt that will totally cure the issue

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ball of the foot for me 95% of the time so it really is a pain. I suppose I could get larger footpegs but doubt that will totally cure the issue
It won't, I'v got larger footpegs.
I've got large feet and even larger boots (bought them second hand, a tad to large), and the cat is still really annoying.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thanks for this information, you can tell I am recently back to biking with no recent bike MOT experience.

As a UK truck engineer who has spent most of his life around HGV testing and emissions, I find it amazing or almost unbelievable, that a motorcycle's emissions are not checked as part of MOT. Just proves that we never stop learning, thanks again.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for this information, you can tell I am recently back to biking with no recent bike MOT experience.

As a UK truck engineer who has spent most of his life around HGV testing and emissions, I find it amazing or almost unbelievable, that a motorcycle's emissions are not checked as part of MOT. Just proves that we never stop learning, thanks again.
I imagine that with the average annual mileage of bikes/decent MPG taking into account all the low capacity bikes etc and the low numbers of bikes on the road (1.4 million in 2016) versus the higher number of large vans and HGVs (4.1million and 2.1 million respectively) and the far lower MPG of trucks and their way higher annual mileage.....it makes sense to leave it as it is. (A quick check of a 2015 1200GS shows 95g/km so it'd qualify for £0 road tax anyway)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts