Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question I'm thinking about removing my catalytic converter but keeping stock headers & muffler. Reason is like to get rid of the heat the converter generates. Not sure if doing that would cause any problems. ?

·
Registered
163 Posts
It won't cause any issues that an aftermarket header wouldn't cause. It will cause your bike to run a little leaner because of increased airflow how much I don't know. I'm keen on doing the same thing so interested in how you're planing on doing it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi!

Like Nusk450x says the bike will run a little bit leaner. With this the really problem is, that the Africa Twin is still running very lean in the standard configuration! So you should check carefully the outcome after removing the catalytic converter to avoid major engine problems. If it is much too lean you could try to solve it using a Booster Plug or, if this won't help you will end up with a power commander and some dyno work.
My recommendation would be, prior to start removing the catalyst converter get in touch with Jens Lyck from boosterplug.com and ask on his opinion if Booster Plug would solve the requirement in FI adjusting after removing the catalytic converter (because the Booster Plug option is much cheaper than a PC+Dyno).

Cheers, Gerhard

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yep I go along with kari4711. I am about to de-cat mine with Akra headers and have been well advised to insert a boosterplug into the fuelling control to keep the temps down thereby preserving the valves.

M
Since fitting the BoosterPlug, my bike goes much better, smoother and quicker, consumption with inevitably take a hit. Still awaiting the Akra headers but anticipate same performance as oem.

M

·
Premium Member
2022 CRF1100 ATAS ES DCT
2,503 Posts
Hi Guys,

would this booster plug work on 2020 mt ?
I asked a while back if the booster plug would work on the 2021 AT and I got a reply as below

I’m sorry, but we will not be able to develop and launch a BoosterPlug for your bike.

The new EURO5 emission regulations that are enforced on some 2020 models and all 2021 bikes are effectively blocking the BoosterPlug (and other fuel injection improvement devices) from making your bike better and safer to ride.

Please see the details here: BoosterPlug - Tuning your Motorcycle Fuel Injection

Best Regards

Jens Lyck

·
Registered
2021 Africa Twin MT, 2013 KTM 350 six days, Yamaha Vmax (bar hopper)
12 Posts
I asked a while back if the booster plug would work on the 2021 AT and I got a reply as below
Cheers Hood, Im going to Bangkok to some guy who tunes race scooters 🤣 lol and anything else, he just opened up my friends CRF 450RL what a difference :eek:.... I shall see what he thinks;)

·
Registered
434 Posts
On Other bikes fitting a BP is great for a while. They adjust the IAT signal to the ecu. Signalling a drop in ambient temperature of about 6 degrees.
Therefore enriching the mixture throughout the rev range. The problem arises eventually when the 02 sensor sniffs a rich mixture and the ecu cuts back the fuelling
returning to a lean state. This may take from 1k to 5k kms . With the AT this may not happen at all. The BP is just a crude Spoofer. (some riders will disconnect the 02)
Ive stuffed around with exhausts for a good while now and come to realise modern bikes have a matched system.
If you release the cork, have funds ready to put more in.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Hi Guys,

would this booster plug work on 2020 mt ?
Luckily not . Would be nice if Aracer will start to devenlop an ECU for .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.