Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question I'm thinking about removing my catalytic converter but keeping stock headers & muffler. Reason is like to get rid of the heat the converter generates. Not sure if doing that would cause any problems. ?

·
Registered
163 Posts
It won't cause any issues that an aftermarket header wouldn't cause. It will cause your bike to run a little leaner because of increased airflow how much I don't know. I'm keen on doing the same thing so interested in how you're planing on doing it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi!

Like Nusk450x says the bike will run a little bit leaner. With this the really problem is, that the Africa Twin is still running very lean in the standard configuration! So you should check carefully the outcome after removing the catalytic converter to avoid major engine problems. If it is much too lean you could try to solve it using a Booster Plug or, if this won't help you will end up with a power commander and some dyno work.
My recommendation would be, prior to start removing the catalyst converter get in touch with Jens Lyck from boosterplug.com and ask on his opinion if Booster Plug would solve the requirement in FI adjusting after removing the catalytic converter (because the Booster Plug option is much cheaper than a PC+Dyno).

Cheers, Gerhard

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yep I go along with kari4711. I am about to de-cat mine with Akra headers and have been well advised to insert a boosterplug into the fuelling control to keep the temps down thereby preserving the valves.

M

·
Registered
14 Posts
Been reading some worrying stuff about how lean they have been tunes to comply with Euro 5 bullshit. Let me know what the Booster Plug dude has to say, would be interested to know....:)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yep I go along with kari4711. I am about to de-cat mine with Akra headers and have been well advised to insert a boosterplug into the fuelling control to keep the temps down thereby preserving the valves.

M
Since fitting the BoosterPlug, my bike goes much better, smoother and quicker, consumption with inevitably take a hit. Still awaiting the Akra headers but anticipate same performance as oem.

M

1 - 8 of 8 Posts