Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ardent off-roader here and able tire-changer.

I see some videos of guys playing around in gravel pits, and that frigging center stand: CLACK! CLACK! CLACK! I had another streetbike once with one, and I couldn't stand the thing clacking all the time.

It's extra weight as well.

I've heard some guys say, 'if you are parking on a hill, parking on an angle, in high winds, on a ferry'

But really.

Out of all these ADV bikes, does every single guy really run a center stand just so they can change a tire without laying the bike down on some branches or something soft?

Sure it's a pain in the ass, but for the amount of times you'll change a tire in the field....is it really worth it for all this clacking and noise and weight and money?

Let's hear from someone with experience.

If you bought one because it's just another part for sale, keep your garage-based-opinion outta the thread please.

·
Registered
70 Posts
For me this is a must. Changing tires or loading all the luggage on your bike is easier. Also when you have to park your bike somewhere where the ground is softer it also works much better than a regular stand. My friends bike touched the ground the first time, not because of a crash, no it was because his Africa Twin started rolling forward with the side stand. He directly bought the center stand than and warned me about this. I use the center stand 95% of the time.

Also I am not 100% about this clacking noise. Yes I noticed this noise in one of my videos, but it could be also come from the second key I have attached to the motorcycle main key or from my Givi Top Box.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Chains last longer when it's easier to lube them. Doing oil changes and other work is much easier with it on a center stand. Roadside repairs can be done by a single person much easier with a center stand. On other bikes I've actually zip-tied center stands to keep them from clattering. Zip ties are cheap.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I hear you gman, I've only have done 8500kl so far, but mostly dirt trails, there is certainly a clunk clunk there when it gets a bit rough, with saying that, I have also gone through 3 sets of tires and 1 flat out on the trail.
I almost removed it after the first ride (mine came std with the bike), but personally I'm glad I didn't, I find it is convenient, (as I don't have a workshop stand), not only for tire changes but for some of the reasons listed above by others as well.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Has anyone removed sidestand after installing centerstand?

Let's phrase it that way then: do you really need a sidestand if you've got a center stand?

I hate thinking about all that junk hanging down there.

How are you supposed to pop logs with so much stuff to hang up and bang around?

(yes, pop logs and boulders)

I am kinda surprised that some guys go to the extent of zap strapping their center stand up.

But I will tell you, I will be the first guy doing it if I get one.

Anyone ever pull their side stand and miss it, after installing the center stand?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Let's phrase it that way then: do you really need a sidestand if you've got a center stand?

I hate thinking about all that junk hanging down there.

How are you supposed to pop logs with so much stuff to hang up and bang around?

(yes, pop logs and boulders)

I am kinda surprised that some guys go to the extent of zap strapping their center stand up.

But I will tell you, I will be the first guy doing it if I get one.

Anyone ever pull their side stand and miss it, after installing the center stand?

Just buy one and if you don't like it sell it and you will only be out a few bucks but will have satisfied your questions.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Check it is not the chain slapping the top wear piece rather than the stand clanging. Mentioned in this forum several times. It may not be the stand. Adjust your chain to spec and see if the noise is reduced.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Center stand a must have for me.

The center stand makes working on the bike so much easier and being able to sit on the bike in the upright position makes adjusting upgrades (Rox Risers, etc.), and loading equipment much easier. I was showing my bike to a GS rider and by having the center stand he could stand up and see how narrow the bike is and also check out the pivot pegs. I was buying some soft saddlebags he had and he could show me how to attach it properly with the bike level.

I have not needed to zip tie my stand yet but I always carry several zip ties in my toolkit. :wink2:

I wish I could get a center stand for my Transalp !!! :|

·
Registered
142 Posts
I feel for you @gman
I own a '17 AT and love to go offroad as much as I can.

In optimising the bike for this kind of riding, weight is always an issue. I try to pack light and get any bling off the bike to make it ride better off road. No doubt training and skills off road can compensate in place of many KG weight loss, but every bit helps.

I cannot deny it, that center stand has crossed my mind the same as it has yours.

Yes, it is nicer to pack my stuff on the bike when it is level. Stuff doesn't roll off my seat.
Yes, it is easy peasy to lube the chain when on the centerstand.
Yes, it makes tyre and wheel work easier both in my garage and on the road.
Yes, it does give me an option when the sidestand is not up to task, sloping roads
Yes, it does make making riding position adjustments (handlebar, levers, etc) easier
And one that is pretty important that has not been mentioned
Yes, it may take 2cm away from ground clearance toward the back of the wheelbase, but there is a far more sensetive part under there that is also about 2cm lower that the bashplate! The prolink suspension linkage.
The centerstand on my AT goes a long way to protecting that part of the bike. I would much rather dent/break my centerstand than crack that linkage out on the trail!

Yes, it is a bulky, weighty monster of a thing that I would love to ditch if it were just for weight saving
Yes, we can find ways to do most of the things above without it.
But it must be kept in mind, it is adding weight in best place possible on the bike. Static and below the footpegs.

I rock and log jump and make good use of the bashplate. I love to ride gnarly rocky trails, sometimes too fast, but I can' help it! I hope this qualifies me as "someone with experience"
No slap or other clanging issues, yet. No regrets or problems with the centerstand. In fact the leading edge of the centerstand on my bike is testimony to the shite the suspension linkage would have had to take if it were not for that bulky, 'usless' thing.

If I were to develop that slap/clang problem you speak of, I would look at the springs holding it up, or take the advice from the other comments and use some velcro straps or cable ties to keep it in place. Simple elegant solution.

So my verdict is:
Far more usefull than the drawbacks.
I would go as far as to say: if push came to shove, despite using it far more, I would ditch the side stand over the centerstand.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Is this a similar thing to knobby tyres being too noisy? Beach too sandy? Water too wet? Center stand clangs on very bumpy roads, it doesn't bother me at all. I love it for cleaning and maintenance. Luxury or necessity? Neither. See if you can't break your bike by having one.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Neither a luxury or a necessity. just something that's useful to have. And Honda must agree or why else provide the fixing points and an option to fit or not. And then multiple 3rd party makers providing alternatives.

Certainly useful for me for 3 reasons. Chain adjust and lubrication as well as allowing me to park it at home within a smaller footprint.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Agree with all the above, and for me, I park my AT on a bike lift, and it’s so much easier to safely have it central and safe on the centre stand.
Another good idea is to have a plate across the stand to stop it snagging up off road, (works as an additional bash guard for the suspension linkage)

·
Registered
221 Posts
It's troll bait from the OP. Just a snarky attitude toward those who have/use a center-stand.

Anyone could argue, why does anyone need crash bars or skid plates....

Don't feed the troll....

·
Registered
109 Posts
I always had/have centre stand in all my mikes (well, apart from enduros) as I think the advantages outweigh the drawbacks.

But the other day a colleague mentioned "Do you know that you CRF Honda centre stand weighs some 7 kgs?". Is it really that heavy? I suspect there maybe aftermarket options that are lighter.

·
Registered
112 Posts
There is a solution to the clacking of the center stand. Buy some velcro strips that stick to themselves and velcro the stand to the frame. The stand is an important tool to be self reliant on the the trails/street and makes tire changes safer and easier. routine maintenance is also eased.

·
Registered
504 Posts
There is a solution to the clacking of the center stand. Buy some velcro strips that stick to themselves and velcro the stand to the frame. The stand is an important tool to be self reliant on the the trails/street and makes tire changes safer and easier. routine maintenance is also eased.
Have you tried your advice? Doubt it works.
There are two rubber bumpers on the main stand.
When the swing-arm is extended one bumper rides on the swing-arm, the 2nd has a gap to the frame.
When the swing-arm is compressed, the 2nd rubber bumper hits a stop on the frame and there is a gap to the swing-arm

1 - 20 of 28 Posts