Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,520 Posts
Yup. Trying to tie up the main stand will only work if a bungee is used.
And it will still clang and bang, so what's the point?
I find the center stand rubber bumpers generous. My past five non-ADV bikes had meager bumpers and has harsh clangs compared to the AT.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Ardent off-roader here and able tire-changer.

I see some videos of guys playing around in gravel pits, and that frigging center stand: CLACK! CLACK! CLACK! I had another streetbike once with one, and I couldn't stand the thing clacking all the time.

It's extra weight as well.

I've heard some guys say, 'if you are parking on a hill, parking on an angle, in high winds, on a ferry'

But really.

Out of all these ADV bikes, does every single guy really run a center stand just so they can change a tire without laying the bike down on some branches or something soft?

Sure it's a pain in the ass, but for the amount of times you'll change a tire in the field....is it really worth it for all this clacking and noise and weight and money?

Let's hear from someone with experience.

If you bought one because it's just another part for sale, keep your garage-based-opinion outta the thread please.
I rode a V-Strom for several years before deciding not having the optional centre stand was a stupid idea. I bit the bullet and purchased/installed the Suzuki centre stand. With the Twin that was one of my first two additions. Even something as simple as checking the oil requires the bike to be level. On the AT that becomes a two person activity. No way am I going to hold and balance that beast with one hand while trying to manipulate the dip stick with the other. Cleaning and maintaining the bike is so much easier with a centre stand. Some places the centre stand isn't suitable when parking and the side stand is used. For other parking spots the side stand is useless and the centre stand gets used. I use each of the stands far too often to be without both.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Has anyone bought a center stand from the brand Constands? It has a reasonable price, cheaper than oem and other brands. Any opinions?

·
Registered
315 Posts
If it's there, you will use it. As many have indicated above it is useful in many different situations. You may even eventually conclude you can't do without it. I really like mine.

If you don't have one, there will be times when you wish you did. But you can probably go through life without it and not miss it too much.

And at 9 lbs or so, if you believe you can really feel that difference in the machine with and without, you should probably be out there riding against Stewart or Villopoto. The slapping around is another issue. If I had that happening all the time it would get on my nerves too. But it doesn't so maybe mine isn't.

·
Super Moderator
3,520 Posts
Every bike I owned had a center stand, and if it did not, I added it.

Center stand: Convenient. Period.

Life is too short fussing with the alternatives, especially while on the road.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Center stand was the first thing I bought and installed on my bike. I lubed the chain exactly 1 time before ordering it. I was irritated that it didn't come installed from the factory. It's far too convenient to not have, especially if you do all your own maintenance.

·
Super Moderator
3,520 Posts
Center stand was the first thing I bought and installed on my bike. I lubed the chain exactly 1 time before ordering it. I was irritated that it didn't come installed from the factory. It's far too convenient to not have, especially if you do all your own maintenance.
Yeah, Honda seems to be going the way of European manufacturers to cut costs, weight and possibly add to Honda aftermarket accessory revenue stream.

"You want that, sure we can do that for you ... ... ... for a fee."

21 - 28 of 28 Posts