Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
The higher your bike sits - proper springs for weight and with sag set correctly- the easier it is to get on centre stand.
A heavily loaded bike on stock rear spring with 7-clicks preload is tough to get on main stand.
Trick is to push down **** hard with right foot whilst lifting with right arm. Like doing a deadlift in the gym. Back straight use your leg.
I don't lift. The bike swing does most of the work. Boot down definitely (y) .

·
Registered
460 Posts
Bike swing tough to do on gravel soft or uneven ground.
I always press down first to get both main stand feet touching then Down hard with the boot and rearward lift on the Touratech frame by rear peg.

·
Super Moderator
1,519 Posts
And here I was thinking my ATAS goes on the center stand the easiest of any bike I have owned
I have never had any problem getting them on to the center stand either, other than the one incident I reported earlier in this thread where I tried it with a wet/soapy tennis shoe on after washing the bike. My original bike 2016, had the OEM center stand, my current a 2019 ATAS has the Outback Motorteck one.

My bigger issue in my own garage is getting it back off again. The garage floor is slick concrete. I find I have to lean it off-center toward me and be ready to take the weight when it comes off.

·
Super Moderator
1,519 Posts
Sadly, I have no garage floor (no garage) to give me center stand grief. The center stand relaxes on the patio stone with a quiet, silky, th-u-. ("thud" with no "d').
Mine just slides forward across the floor, never gaining enough friction to come off the stand if I don't angel it first :)

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,519 Posts
I wonder if it’s only an issue with OEM stands on Adventure Sports models?
That I don't know. I had the OEM center stand on my 2016 model, but went with the Outback Motortek center stand for my 2019 Adventure Sport.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,519 Posts
When I saw butter I was thinking? Like butter? It's kind of an up and down motion. Churning butter maybe? Then the Wierd Al Song "Amish Paradise" came to mind for some reason :)

"I've churned butter once or twice
Living in an Amish paradise"

·
Registered
16 Posts
A good tip when convenient and safe is to roll the rear wheel on to a small plank of wood about one inch thick, this allows the centre stand to come down lower and the bike much easier to roll backwards.

Due to a replacement right hip I have very little strength there, I can now easily lift the AT and my much heavier Triumph Explorer.

It feels safe using this method as well.
I had a beemer LT that was very tall (for me) and it hurt me every time I tried to put it on the stand. I cut a piece of wood about 3/4” thick and about 6” square. I would roll the front wheel onto it then when I pulled the bike onto the stand it was easy and would simply roll off the wood. I carried the piece of wood in one of the panniers so I would always have it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Added the OEM center stand and struggling with it. I expect the issue is worse with the Adv Sports model with the longer suspension. I carry the block of wood (which doubles for side stand footing on soft ground). No way I could get the loaded bike up without geometry tricks and I'm 6' and 180 lbs. I know the trick is to move back rather than up, but panniers hamper your grip.
I actually found my 2019 ATAS to be easier to put on the center stand than my previous 650 V-Strom. Both have the OEM stand. I am 5'11" and 185 pounds. I noticed most are saying push down on the stand with your right foot. I would say after you have the bike stabilized with left hand on the handlebar and right in a location near the seat that is comfortable for the lifting movement, move the bike to the rear and stand on the centre stand pedal, don't push the pedal. I find a little momentum combined with standing on the centre stand pedal doesn't require much effort with the right arm.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts