Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have never had any problem getting them on to the center stand either, other than the one incident I reported earlier in this thread where I tried it with a wet/soapy tennis shoe on after washing the bike. My original bike 2016, had the OEM center stand, my current a 2019 ATAS has the Outback Motorteck one.

My bigger issue in my own garage is getting it back off again. The garage floor is slick concrete. I find I have to lean it off-center toward me and be ready to take the weight when it comes off.
I make sure the side stand is extended when taking the bike off the centre stand. It gives me a chance to change my grip on the bike before moving it any further. With a 32" inseam there is no way I am getting on the ATAS safely without the side stand in the down position regardless of whether or not I use the left peg to mount or dismount.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I would say after you have the bike stabilized with left hand on the handlebar and right in a location near the seat that is comfortable for the lifting movement, move the bike to the rear and stand on the centre stand pedal, don't push the pedal. I find a little momentum combined with standing on the centre stand pedal doesn't require much effort with the right arm.
This is how I do it as well, standing on the pedal and my weight does the majority of the work.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I actually found my 2019 ATAS to be easier to put on the center stand than my previous 650 V-Strom. Both have the OEM stand. I am 5'11" and 185 pounds. I noticed most are saying push down on the stand with your right foot. I would say after you have the bike stabilized with left hand on the handlebar and right in a location near the seat that is comfortable for the lifting movement, move the bike to the rear and stand on the centre stand pedal, don't push the pedal. I find a little momentum combined with standing on the centre stand pedal doesn't require much effort with the right arm.
(y) Sounds good to me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is a crazy long thread for something that seems so simple, and yet when I first got mine I had trouble with this as well. I guess I do it weird though. I hold the handlebars with my left hand, rear handle with my right, just like everyone else. However, I put my LEFT foot on the stand and make contact with the ground. When both sides of the stand are touching the ground and the wheel is straight I stand on the center stand peg and pull the bike back a bit and it just goes up. Once I figured that out I've never had another issue.

·
Registered
142 Posts

Got my OEM center stand today and installed. Quicker/easier to install than the passenger comfort pegs. Having an antique spring installer works wonders, I've not yet seen a modern spring installer designed better.

After installing, and with this thread in the back of my mind, I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to get the bike up.on the center stand. I'm ~210, was prepared to really lift with my right hand on passenger peg bracket. I don't think my right hand was involved much more than my left hand as just standing on the step of the center stand brought it right up. I don't think I've had an easier to raise bike, granted my last bike with a center stand was my 07 anniversary VFR, which seemed a bit of a chore.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
View attachment 55873

Got my OEM center stand today and installed. Quicker/easier to install than the passenger comfort pegs. Having an antique spring installer works wonders, I've not yet seen a modern spring installer designed better.

After installing, and with this thread in the back of my mind, I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to get the bike up.on the center stand. I'm ~210, was prepared to really lift with my right hand on passenger peg bracket. I don't think my right hand was involved much more than my left hand as just standing on the step of the center stand brought it right up. I don't think I've had an easier to raise bike, granted my last bike with a center stand was my 07 anniversary VFR, which seemed a bit of a chore.
During my early days of the AT Forum it seemed many members griped about how onerous the AT was to kick-up on the centerstand.

I have the SW-Motech centerstand and I also found the AT one of the most - if not the most - easiest machines to hoist up (in its class).

(crap, now I just want to go outside and hoist the AT just for the fun of it)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the 2018 ATAS with OE centre stand. I leave the side stand down, just for some vague reassurance.
Left hand on handlebar with front wheel straight. I press my right foot on the centre stand lever pad to contact the ground until the stand is pressing on the floor/ground. Keep pressure on the foot lever and ease the bike upright until the other leg of the bike contacts the floor. I have my right hand on the passenger grab rail. With the bike upright and the centre stand feet both pressing on the ground, transfer my weight to push down on the centre stand lever with my right foot and rock the bike up and back. Picture rocking a baby.
This works for me and worked well on my Goldwing in the distant past.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts