Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

Center stand "trick"?

34K views 69 replies 37 participants last post by  seismic52 
#1 ·
I'm 5'9" and weigh about 160 lbs, and I find it more difficult than expected to get the AT up on its (OEM) center stand. Sometimes I can do it easily and sometimes I simply can't. It may be down to a slight difference in surface angle but if so I haven't been able to determine what that difference is.

My move sequence is to stand on the left of the bike, put my left hand on the left bar and my right foot on the stand footrest, then push off and turn my body left as I shift my weight onto the footrest.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to better leverage my body weight or whatever, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thanks!

#2 ·
The one piece I don't see you mention is what do you do with your right hand/arm? The key IMO, is to get momentum going. You do it one quick "explosive" move...

I stand on the left side of my bike facing the bike. Left hand on handlebar to steady it, and right hand on the passenger peg extension used for mounting the OEM panniers.
I put my right foot on the centerstand foot rest. I push the centerstand down till it makes contact with the ground. Then when I'm ready, in a quick motion and with authority, I push down with my right leg on the footrest (using my weight too) while lifting with my right hand/arm on the passenger peg, with a slight motion to the rear.

#3 ·
Absolutely correct. The key is to lift with your right arm while pushing down with your foot. Actively think about creating distance between your right arm and right foot as you lift and separate. (reminds me of a bra commercial) :surprise:

I am also 5'6" and 160 and can put the bike on its center stand with relative ease.

Rob

#6 ·
I think I have discovered the answer folks, and it's simple.
I could never understand people on the NC 750 forum having difficulty raising that bike which is a bit lighter and certainly smaller. But when I switched to the Africa Twin I was straining so much I pulled a muscle in my back Others on here were doing it with apparently little effort.
Then one day it popped on just like the NC750 used to and I realised that I had been trying to do it previously with the handlebars turned. If I straighten them up before pulling up it's almost as easy as the NC750 was. (I think the larger bike had been making me nervous about dropping it away from me so it seemed safer to turn the handlebars so the left grip was nearer to me - but of course the bike was in a 3 point locked position - two stand feet and the contact point of the tyre).
I don't think I have seen this mentioned (getting the front wheel straight) on either forum - probably because it's so obvious - doh.
And yes I use the left side pannier prong to lift with. It's just at the right height for me and I'd rather take the pannier off to put it on the centre stand if I have to.
Mike

#7 ·
Yes to all points mentioned above. This is my first bike with a center stand. I struggle a bit too, and I'm 6'0" and 180 lbs - should be easy. It doesn't help that I also worry about dropping it on the right side while lifting it, because there's nothing to catch it if it starts to go over.

I learned the hard way that the weight of full panniers of tools/camping gear/clothes and food, make it way harder than it needs to be. Also, the panniers just get in the way. Although mentioned, I think the surface is an overlooked point. If there is even the slightest downhill and especially if there is a raised area under the stand, it will be exponentially more difficult. #physics

#9 ·
Handlebars straight yes, your left hand does very little, is is all in the right boot/hand positioned as all the guys mention above. Right hand on pillion footpeg bracket, the pannier handle is too high with little leverage.

#12 ·
Ah yes. Don't think i'd like to try lifting it with the pannier box handle.
Can I ask the others on here who have (like me) said that it was virtually impossible, to just try the experiment of making sure the handlebars are completely square on (ie normal riding position), before trying the lift. Let us know if that eliminates the problem.
Mike

#16 ·
A strap or similar is actually a good thought, I have the Tuturo oiler fitted to that 'peg' just forward of the rubber seat for the OEM panniers, and as has been mentioned getting a low down grip is key. I struggled a little using the handlebars and passenger grab rail to get it up and over even before I lowered the bike a little and now since fitting the panniers have been pondering this as I do not wish to constantly remove the pannier to use the centre stand.

I had the centre stand fitted from new and noticed 2 things compared to previous bikes - it seems to need more of a lift, and the rear wheel looks a bit higher off the deck than any other bike I can recall having a centre stand which led me to think the stand could actually be a tad shorter. The other thing is it is not so easy to 'get right in there' with your right leg and body to get a good heave due to the bracket holding the pillion peg - which I use for the oiler and the pannier mount though not for pillion, so it has to stay there.

I am still playing with this one and have not ruled out shortening the stand a little, but not so much as to compromise useability if I returned the bike to stock height if I ever sell.

#17 ·
*snip*
The other thing is it is not so easy to 'get right in there' with your right leg and body to get a good heave due to the bracket holding the pillion peg - which I use for the oiler and the pannier mount though not for pillion, so it has to stay there.
*snip*
Are you saying it uses the actual peg, or just repurposes the holes? You can see that my Tusk pannier rack uses the passenger peg holes as a mounting point, but the Rugged Roads cover makes the actual peg unnecessary. The RR covers might be the best farkle I have added thus far.

#19 · (Edited)
Well at the gas station today I tried grabbing the pillion peg bracket while using the center stand. Couldn't get a good grip at all and just had to muscle the bike up while holding the pillion grab bar (as usual). A strap might be just the ticket as the positioning varies by the height of the rider, arm length, etc. I'm thinking of trying a kayak handle like this one. Will see what I can find at West Marine tomorrow.

#20 ·
I changed my front tire today and used the center stand. I grabbed the pannier rack just aft of where it attaches to the foot peg holes, and lifted as I put it on the center stand. SO MUCH EASIER than how I had been doing it (yanking the passenger handles back). I see now how superior this trick is.

I looked at the kayak handle... not sure about having that flop around. What about this Extra Beefy Paracord Bracelet, or something like that? That would supply paracord if I ever need it... a mult-tasker.

#23 ·
A good tip when convenient and safe is to roll the rear wheel on to a small plank of wood about one inch thick, this allows the centre stand to come down lower and the bike much easier to roll backwards.

Due to a replacement right hip I have very little strength there, I can now easily lift the AT and my much heavier Triumph Explorer.

It feels safe using this method as well.

#26 · (Edited)
This is exactly what i do. After 3 x holiday spoiling punctures i eventually bought an OEM centre stand on my return (sick of laying the bike down to fix)

Having always had to lower my bikes a little i already knew the problem would be to actually 'get the bike up and onto it' so i carry a piece of 4" x 1" wood around in the topbox. I place it on the floor in line with the rear wheel and roll the bike onto it then i find it much easier to lift it on to the main stand.

My bike is lowered by 25mm both ends using Hyperpro springs and this stops you getting the correct angle from the centre stand when it contacts the ground. I COULD however shorten the stand :nerd:

Attachments

#27 ·
Mine seems to get more and more difficult every time I do it. Not sure if she's getting heavier, or I'm getting weaker!? That guy in the video looks like a dam camera trick. When I do it I use the same amount of force as I have to when picking the bike up straight off the ground. Got me scratching my head lol.

#31 ·
I have also felt at times like it requires more effort than before, sometimes I want to give up.
Today I used the passenger handle again and somehow it felt easier than grabbing down low, (like passenger foot peg). I can't explain but instead of lifting, more energy went to backward motion and it seemed easier.

Does anyone else think the stand is too tall? Couple guys mentioned using a block and I notice the tire is a full inch or more off the ground. Are the aftermarket stands also this way?

#30 · (Edited)
I just put the OEM center stand on my AT and found it easy enough to use. The trick is let your weight and momentum do the work by stepping on the lever with all of your weight and as the bike starts to rise give it a tug up and to the rear to add to the momentum. At 170lbs I'm plenty heavy for it to work. But I have a grab handle on my Kaw KLR650 that makes it even easier because it is perfectly positioned. The KLR has enough stuff on it to be near as heavy as the AT. I got the grab handle from Twisted Throttle (SW Motech) and I was wondering if anyone has made such a handle for the AT. I guess it wouldn't be hard to make one but before I go there I'd like to see if something is already available.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-centerstand-lifting-handle-for-kawasaki-klr650-08-16

#32 ·
I am only 5'7" and sometimes feel even older than what I am :)
I have SW-Motech panniers rack fitted.
I get the Hepco Becker centre stand feet sitting level on the floor.
Grab hold of the forward, lower section of the pannier rack.
Take up the slack, and lift on the rack while putting pressure onto the centre stand. Look straight forward and keep your back straight.
This works well when the bike is NOT loaded. Loaded, no chance of getting it on the centre stand. (Thats what mates are there for!)

I recently fitted TKC 80 on the front and Mitas E07 on the rear. This seemed to raise the bike quite a bit, making the stand issue easier.
3 Weeks ago a fitted the HyperPro front and rear springs. This raises the bike even more. Great? No, now the lean angle of the side stand is too much in certain situations. But I am happy to live with this 'problem'.

#34 ·
Find the balance of the bike before u attempt to lift.straighten handlebars.find spot to grip comfortably with right then in one motion use your body weight to lift bike.my right foot travels in air for balance as I lift.im 5/10.5 and 12.5 stone.i hv no trouble lifting with full panniers and top box.Its all about confidence and technic.Just find a flat level area and practice

#35 ·
Maybe this will help to someone. This is how im doing it. Right hand on passenger footpeg frame, right hip is pushing my hand backwards. I’m not trying to lift up my bike. This trick works when fully loaded with panniers and rollbag. Most important is that my back is straight so less possible I damage something. With panniers is even easier because I’m pushing with my lower back. Important is not to focus on lifting heavy bike up but push back. This can be done slow (static) move. Without “explosion” which can only increase the risk of injuries. I hope this help https://youtu.be/WH4aL92e7ik

#36 ·
Added the OEM center stand and struggling with it. I expect the issue is worse with the Adv Sports model with the longer suspension. I carry the block of wood (which doubles for side stand footing on soft ground). No way I could get the loaded bike up without geometry tricks and I'm 6' and 180 lbs. I know the trick is to move back rather than up, but panniers hamper your grip.

#38 ·
Although I admittedly have never done it yet fully loaded out. But on my ATAS with the panniers on, I grab the frame AND use my hip/butt to push back on the pannier to lift and roll back the bike on the stand. So I’m standing next to the bike facing forward, lifting up and leaning/pushing back against the box.
But you are right, it is a PITA to do with the panniers on, with them off, the racks are a great place to grab to pull it up on the stand.
BTW I’m using the Hepco & Becker Center Stand.

#39 ·
The higher your bike sits - proper springs for weight and with sag set correctly- the easier it is to get on centre stand.
A heavily loaded bike on stock rear spring with 7-clicks preload is tough to get on main stand.
Trick is to push down **** hard with right foot whilst lifting with right arm. Like doing a deadlift in the gym. Back straight use your leg.

#42 ·
The higher your bike sits - proper springs for weight and with sag set correctly- the easier it is to get on centre stand.
A heavily loaded bike on stock rear spring with 7-clicks preload is tough to get on main stand.
Trick is to push down **** hard with right foot whilst lifting with right arm. Like doing a deadlift in the gym. Back straight use your leg.
I don't lift. The bike swing does most of the work. Boot down definitely (y) .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.