Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I refuse to pay for a Honda one. Does anyone have any info on where I could get one. Currently in Canada so would like to get around paying for stuff from US

·
Administrator
3,326 Posts
I refuse to pay for a Honda one. Does anyone have any info on where I could get one. Currently in Canada so would like to get around paying for stuff from US
I was thinking Outback Motortek. They make a nice center stand (actually all their products are top notch), but they don't appear to have one for the Adventure Sports model yet.

You could always drop them a question through their website. They are generally pretty quick to respond.

https://usshop.outbackmotortek.com/contact/

Edit: they do seem to have one listed here through Dual Sports Plus in Brantford, ON

https://www.dualsportplus.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=OBATASCS

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
3,326 Posts
Outback Motortek does a center stand for the Adventure Sports, too: https://usshop.outbackmotortek.com/product/center-stand-honda-africa-twin-1000/
It's not exactly cheap, however.
I wonder if there is any advantage to buying one other than the OEM? The only issue I have ever had with the OEM one on my 2016 was the recall they had to replace the weak spring (mine never failed prior to replacement). Otherwise it just always did what a center stand does. Unless someone sells one for the AT/ATAS that raises and lowers itself, I am not sure I see the advantage of one of the 3rd part stands.

Am I missing some issue with the OEM center stand? I am replacing the side stand with a CamelADV one though :)

·
Registered
445 Posts
I wonder if there is any advantage to buying one other than the OEM? The only issue I have ever had with the OEM one on my 2016 was the recall they had to replace the weak spring (mine never failed prior to replacement). Otherwise it just always did what a center stand does. Unless someone sells one for the AT/ATAS that raises and lowers itself, I am not sure I see the advantage of one of the 3rd part stands.
Am I missing some issue with the OEM center stand? I am replacing the side stand with a CamelADV one though :)
I would mount the OEM one... wait! I Actually mounted it! :grin2:
The Outback Motortek looks very similar to the OEM. Some third party stands however does not look so good.

·
Administrator
3,326 Posts
I would mount the OEM one... wait! I Actually mounted it! :grin2:

The Outback Motortek looks very similar to the OEM. Some third party stands however does not look so good.
That's what I was wondering. The Outback Motortek one looks very similar to the OEM. I had the OEM on my 2016 and had no issues other than that spring recall. My wife has the OEM on her 2017 and has had no issues other than the spring recall.

I now need one for a 2019 ATAS, but I am not sure I am seeing a reason to pay more for the 3rd party ones when the OEM seemed to do the job for me just fine.

In short, I haven't seen any differences in the 3rd party ones to justify the price premium. But wondered if I was missing something.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for answers, I got one through www.dualsportplus.com and very happy with it. Took literally minutes to instal and fits right on spot for OEM one. The springs were a challenge but once I came up with the idea for fitting it - worked like a dream. I used a flat screwdriver poked through hook on the springs (one at a time) and levered the hook up to the slot and just slid it over into position.

·
Administrator
3,326 Posts
I ended up going the Outback Motortek route myself. Likewise, a very simple and straightforward install other than their instructions suggests using pliers to pull the springs. Yeah, that's not happening!

Neither the screwdriver or the penny trick worked for the OM spring, it was too tight to get the screwdriver in between in a meaningful way and could only manage to get a few pennies. But my Motion Pro spring puller did the trick! But I actually had to use it to lever against the cross brace rather than pull straight back :)

Edit: A little "aside." I also just installed a CamelADV side stand to my wife's AT and I have to say I now have a serious case of side stand envy hahaha.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts