Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this may sound daft, but I see in the owners manual, it says about chain adjustment on the side stand, with a 45 to 55mm amount of slack. Anybody know if this measurement is the same, if done on the centre stand?

·
Registered
268 Posts
I know this may sound daft, but I see in the owners manual, it says about chain adjustment on the side stand, with a 45 to 55mm amount of slack. Anybody know if this measurement is the same, if done on the centre stand?
I don't think so. On the centre stand the rear suspension is not compressed, this will change the distance between the sprockets. If you want to adjust the chain then you should take the bike of the centre stand and check the slack on the chain while the bike is on the side stand.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you adjust the chain while on the center stand it will be way too tight - I know, I tried it once :) As KiwiMark said, the geometry of the rear end is different when on the center stand. I don't know what figure you'd have to use for slack while on the center stand, but it would be a lot more than 45mm to 55mm in order to have the chain at the correct tension while riding.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank guys for confirming my suspicions. I guess Honda don’t give a measurement for adjustment on the center stand, as bikes ships without one. I also tried adjusting it on the center stand, and found it too tight, so readjusted it on the side stand. Now it’s been adjusted correctly, I suppose I could now check to see what the slack is, while on the center stand, to compare The two measurements.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Thank guys for confirming my suspicions. I guess Honda don’t give a measurement for adjustment on the center stand, as bikes ships without one. I also tried adjusting it on the center stand, and found it too tight, so readjusted it on the side stand. Now it’s been adjusted correctly, I suppose I could now check to see what the slack is, while on the center stand, to compare The two measurements.
I did this and discovered it was the same quick rule of thumb check as on the nc750x. When correctlyadjusted the chain just misses the underside of the swing arm when on the side stand and just touches it with a clacking sound when on the centrestand. Check done at Centre point of underside of chain
Mike

·
Registered
400 Posts
I do it like this .
Measure slack on centre stand. lets say its 50mm
Measure slack on side stand, lets say its 40mm.
So you now know its 10mm slacker when on centre stand, and its easier to adjust on the centre stand.
So lets say you are wanting a side stand slack of 45 mm, set it to 55 on centre stand. Re check on side stand
Figures are made up I cant remember what mine actually were.

However I do know that after my first ride on the ATAS the chain bedded in a lot and needed re adjusting after 35 miles. After the next ride of 65 miles didn't need adjusting. With wheel aligned using a laser tool the alignment marks are out by 0.7mm

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great points made guys. It’s definitely easier to do on center stand, so just need to recheck on side stand once adjusted.
Cheers

·
Registered
400 Posts
Thought I would add a bit more science to this topic.
What we havnt mentioned in this thread is rear suspension pre load, and that makes a difference.
Lets make up some figures:
Say you have 50mm chain slack on center stand, ie shock fully extended, and factory setting of pre load.
You pop the bike on side stand, the bike suspension is compressed by bike weight and lets say you measure slack at 40mm. That's as expected as the distance between sprockets has increased.
Now wind up your pre load lets say from 7 to 29 clicks as I did
Repeat the checks
Centre stand chain slack will be the same at 50mm as shock will always be fully extended on centre stand regardless of preload.
Now do the side stand slack check and you will find that slack has increased, say from 40 to 45mm. Its increased as the suspension with increased pre load wont move as far on the side stand as it did before. ie it will be nearer fully extended.
So the point of this post is to point out that the difference between measured centre stand slack and side stand slack depends on how much shock pre load you have. The more you wind up the preload, the closer the figures become. Measure on side stand and you cant go wrong

·
Registered
230 Posts
For years I've adjusted the chain on a bike stand/stump/rock whatever. That's the only way to get a consistent measurement, with the rear wheel off the ground. Measuring it under load or partial load of the suspension just adds unnecessary variables to the shock preload/measured chain slack relationship. I don't use measuring tools after I get initial measurements. Just find the right tension with the rear shock removed and memorize it. For me on the 2016 AT it is at minimum slack when I can just get the chain to touch the back end of the chain slider on the bottom of the swingarm by pushing the chain straight up to the swingarm while the bike is on the center stand. It's only how I do it, not going to carry measurement tools with me on any road/trail.

·
Registered
445 Posts
For years I've adjusted the chain on a bike stand/stump/rock whatever. That's the only way to get a consistent measurement, with the rear wheel off the ground. Measuring it under load or partial load of the suspension just adds unnecessary variables to the shock preload/measured chain slack relationship. I don't use measuring tools after I get initial measurements. Just find the right tension with the rear shock removed and memorize it. For me on the 2016 AT it is at minimum slack when I can just get the chain to touch the back end of the chain slider on the bottom of the swingarm by pushing the chain straight up to the swingarm while the bike is on the center stand. It's only how I do it, not going to carry measurement tools with me on any road/trail.
I do the same. This measurement take into account the fact that the swingarm is unloaded (and the chain has less tension on it). There is no need for other tools, meters, operations, etc.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Could you not put spools on and use a rear stand to achieve the same result as the bike on the side stand? The suspension would still be loaded.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Definitely does effect it on the centre stand, just do what the manual says adjust it on the side stand, if you want to take the measurement on the centre stand after the adjustment on the side stand then you can use that in the future but I just do mine on the side stand that way it takes the static sag into consideration

1 - 14 of 14 Posts