Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there guys ,

I have been going over my owners manual for my 2020 Africa Twin and I’m noticing that in addition to chain adjustments and inspection it also mentions chain slider inspection and specifies an arrow on the slider thats supposed to be a wear indicator

how does this work exactly? Is it just that once I no longer see the arrow or the plastic is worn to where it only shows the tip of the arrow the slider requires replacement ?

I’ve provided sole pictures of the manual and the physical mark in question on the bike

Automotive lighting Rectangle Font Automotive exterior Parallel

Automotive tire Sleeve Automotive design Bumper Bicycle part

·
Registered
613 Posts
need to lose few millimeters more for need to replace.

Reactions: TheMKoi

·
Registered
432 Posts
During normal riding with the swingarm being slightly compressed there is very little wear happening.
On the slider there is a ridge or backbone guide on the top that the chain rollers roll over. This helps extend the slider life.
As this ridge gradually wears the chains side plates can touch down, further slowing wear but creating a small amount of friction..
This is ok too. A little lube also helps.

Some contributors to accelerate wear: lots of thick mud, tight chain, smaller sprockets.

Have a good look prior to chain replacement.

Otherwise "Ride Like The Wind"🙂

And like Ghostrider says

·
Registered
926 Posts
Coincidentally, with bike on centre stand and finger pushing up on lower chain loop vertically below the slider wear triangle -- if you can push the lower chain loop up to just touch the lower slider using minimal force your chain slack is good. If you can't get it to touch your chain is too tight!

·
Registered
AT DCT XADV CT125
234 Posts
Thanks for posting. I never knew the wear indication was there, its just an early warning to prepare for a slider change
As said before its hardly touching when loaded only when suspension unloads.

Good job though

·
Registered
613 Posts
Reactions: TheMKoi

·
Registered
131 Posts
That looks as if its getting there. How it works is the chain rollers slide on the raised ridge of the slider above the arrow keeping the chain links from clanging, banging and wearing against the swinging arm. When the ridge has worn away the slider has reached its limit and needs replacing.

What mileage has that done?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hi - does anyone know what it takes to replace the slider? Does the swing arm have to come off?
I have replaced several on other bikes but not on the AT. So I would say no to Q 2.
Dropping the front sprocket off would help. This way you might be able to avoid breaking the chain.
(lifting it off the rear sprocket) Warm the new slider up in water or sun it for some flexibility.
Its one of those dirty jobs you need three hands for!
My Haynes repair manual doesn't cover it :rolleyes:

Edit: maybe try taking the slider off while the swingarm is still in place.
Let us all know

·
Registered
5 Posts
That looks as if its getting there. How it works is the chain rollers slide on the raised ridge of the slider above the arrow keeping the chain links from clanging, banging and wearing against the swinging arm. When the ridge has worn away the slider has reached its limit and needs replacing.

What mileage has that done?
Thanks Art - photo's from another. My bike is at 30,000 kms.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts