I changed my chain at around 17000 ($170)with a OEM
I’m thinking I might try a different brand, does anyone have any suggestions

Thanks

Min

·
Registered
125 Posts
Can't go wrong with EK, RK, or DID.
I used EK x-ring chains on my last two bikes and was very pleased.

·
Registered
31 Posts
For those that are replacing chains. Are you replacing sprockets as well or just the chain. On my dirt bikes I typically replace chain and front and rear sprockets. Also how are you determining chain needs replacement. I have 16,000 miles on my 2016 and chain has only middle way through adjustment range.

·
Registered
147 Posts
An easy way to check your chain wear is simply to pull up on the chain and pull all the slack out of it and then grab the chain where it wraps around the rear sprocket and pull out away from the sprocket, If you can pull the chain up to the half way point of the depth of the sprocket tooth the chain is worn out. With a chain in good shape you won't be able to lift the chain off the sprocket while holding the chain tight. If the chain is kept in good shape the sprocket wear is negligible. Sprockets wear because the distance increases between the rollers as the chain wears and the chain rides higher up on the teeth of the sprocket and wears out the teeth. That is why really worn sprockets begin to get that saw tooth look. In effect as the chain wears the pitch of the chain changes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Fitted the simpler Scottoiler V-system (Vacuum not electronic) on my 2017 AT before first ride in Jan 2018. Now at 39,500 mostly highway miles, the original chain is good for some more miles yet. Not obviously worn, not much of the adjustment range used up.

The Oiler avoids bowing to the chain gods after a long run. Temperature changes require click adjustments. Watch the rear rim; no oil specks, open flow a click. Too many spots, close a little. In 40K miles, I have used less than three bottles of oil from Scotts.

Less bending exercises and cheaper than a new chain.

·
Super Moderator
3,045 Posts
Fitted the simpler Scottoiler V-system (Vacuum not electronic) on my 2017 AT before first ride in Jan 2018. Now at 39,500 mostly highway miles, the original chain is good for some more miles yet. Not obviously worn, not much of the adjustment range used up.

The Oiler avoids bowing to the chain gods after a long run. Temperature changes require click adjustments. Watch the rear rim; no oil specks, open flow a click. Too many spots, close a little. In 40K miles, I have used less than three bottles of oil from Scotts.

Less bending exercises and cheaper than a new chain.
Similar experience, but use a auto-gravity fed system by Tutoro.

Basically, you tweak the volume of flow via a dial, but valve feed is done only by forces opposite to gravity (e.g. a road bump).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts