Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone change their gearing for more off road oriented riding by changing the front sprocket? I have done this on the dirt bikes I have had, and now see that Superlite and some other manufactures have front sprockets with 15 and 14 teeth to drop the gearing from the OEM 16 tooth. Let me know if anyone has done this to their AT.

Ride Safe!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Anyone change their gearing for more off road oriented riding by changing the front sprocket? I have done this on the dirt bikes I have had, and now see that Superlite and some other manufactures have front sprockets with 15 and 14 teeth to drop the gearing from the OEM 16 tooth. Let me know if anyone has done this to their AT.

Ride Safe!

I installed a 15 tooth on front Honda Part number 23801-MJE-D00 has the rubber just like 16 tooth original. More manageable at slow speed and still tops out over 105 mph.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I started to go with the 14 but decided to go middle of the road with the 15, will have to see how it goes. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
31 Posts
CRF1000L sprocket

I installed a 15 tooth on front Honda Part number 23801-MJE-D00 has the rubber just like 16 tooth original. More manageable at slow speed and still tops out over 105 mph.
Just called Honda based on that PN, they said that is for a CBR600 so I am confused. In any event it is 4 x the price of the PBR equivalent part No. 2068-15

·
Registered
178 Posts
I am super curious about this! I have been thinking about it.... my only problem is I do alot of highway as well.... alot of 75-80 MPH riding... I dont want to feel like I am revving it out. As is at the 16 tooth, I am generally at 4500 RPM at 77 MPH I believe

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just dropped off my rear spocket to rebel gears in Cookeville tn. They will make anything you want or need

·
Registered
212 Posts
8% which way? does the speedo indicate slower now or faster? 8% would just be about the correct change to make my speedo correct.
I am running 15/44 sprockets, which is a 11.75% lower gearing on my manual Queen. This gearing gives me much better gearing off road and improved performance on road while still able to reach 125mph at redline (with stock gearing the engine would not pull to redline on flat ground in 6th gear).
With stock gearing the speedo run fast so going with lower gearing just makes it worse. I added a SpeedoHealer to correct it. Keep in mind that the odometer is spot on stock, only the speedo is fast. They both get their input from the VS sensor so calibrating the speedo to be accurate throws off the odometer. My speedo was running about 5% fast and using my Speedohealer I calibrated my speedo to be within 1% so my odometer now runs about 4% slow. I preferred having my speedo close but with the speedohealer one has the flexibility of going either way or splitting the error down the middle.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
45 Posts
fuelpincher I've used gearing commander before and it's great. As of now it doesn't have the AT listed in it's bikes. I'd have added it but did not have all the information to proceed.

·
Registered
334 Posts
AT is already listed under her name = Honda Crf 1000A/D ;)

·
Registered
334 Posts
For DCt no trouble , bike will drive. Can be a bit a mess for shift points .

·
Registered
58 Posts
Any DCT shift experience with sprocket change ? Some anecdotal evidences report automatic shift failure for most gears with reduced final gearing to something like 15/44. Interesting to follow computer logic on what parameter it refused switching.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts