Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Registered
2020 Africa Twin DCT
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
If you insist on going with AGM then Yuasa YTZ7S would be the choice as I'd only only go with Yuasa for AGM powersports battery.

Looks like it's only 4AH though? https://superstart.com.au/product/lh5l-bs/

Shorai LFX14L2-BS12 would fit 2018 + CRF1000/1100 - 210 cca and 14AH (113 x 58 x 89 mm) (HY110 112 x 70 x 110 mm)
https://www.amazon.com/Shorai-LFX14L2-BS12-Extreme-Lithium-Powersports/dp/B005FIUJ0S
Wow nice specs, but i'm sorry still a Lipo :-( , but way better specs than original 120 cca and 6Ah

I will say up front: I mean no disrespect to anyone participating in this discussion. This is my opinion only.
Ommoran, no problem, but what i want to avoid is that this turns out to be an other "why don't you use Litium" thread like any other tread about this subject.
I only want to discus AGM battery's and not litium, i'm aware of the disadvantages of both, and my opinion is that Litium is way to fragile for me.
So i'm looking for people who have done the conversion and want to share the expirience.

Check This:
Thx ViperTech18 will be a lot easyer on finding the fuses.(y)

I agree with the Yuasa recommendation but I doubt a YTZ7S will be enough battery for a 1000cc bike. The YTZ7S is typically found in sub-500cc bikes. At the least I'd recommend a YTZ10S.
Thx for the suggetion, but the YTZ10S is to big for the AF 2020 batterybox :-(
and the specs of the YTZ7S are almost the same as the original litium 6Ah and CCA 130.
But it can be that does spec on a agm mean that it will start ones but not twice, i don't know, thats why my original question

· Registered
726 Posts
There really isn't a way to have your cake and eat it too with going to an AGM battery to fit the smaller battery box meant for lithium HY110 on 2018+ AT. Starting is a lot of load on the battery and lithium just has a much higher depth of discharge than lead acid so will not degrade as quickly. I doubt you'll see anywhere near the life out of an AGM battery you can fit in place of the lithium HY110.

· Registered
314 Posts
Wow nice specs, but i'm sorry still a Lipo :-( , but way better specs than original 120 cca and 6Ah

Ommoran, no problem, but what i want to avoid is that this turns out to be an other "why don't you use Litium" thread like any other tread about this subject.
I only want to discus AGM battery's and not litium, i'm aware of the disadvantages of both, and my opinion is that Litium is way to fragile for me.
So i'm looking for people who have done the conversion and want to share the expirience.

Thx ViperTech18 will be a lot easyer on finding the fuses.(y)

Thx for the suggetion, but the YTZ10S is to big for the AF 2020 batterybox :-(
and the specs of the YTZ7S are almost the same as the original litium 6Ah and CCA 130.
But it can be that does spec on a agm mean that it will start ones but not twice, i don't know, thats why my original question
My DR-Z400S came from the factory with a Yuasa YTZ7S, and there were times when it struggled to get that bike started, particularly after dropping the bike (think extended cranking times) or on near-freezing days. When everything is right I imagine it will start an AT just fine, but what about when asked to put in a little extra effort? Then it would make me nervous.

· Registered
314 Posts
Yuasa's YTZ7S is a 6 Ah battery rated at 130 CCA the same specification as the stock HY110 battery, cranking performance will be the same.
I see the numbers but my gut doesn't agree (not worth squat, I know). The OEM battery for my 2017 with 998cc engine is a YTZ14S, which is 11.8Ah and has 230 CCA, nearly double the capacity and cranking amps as the YTZ7S. And the 14 is pretty consistent with batteries found in most other 1000cc motorcycles. This, combined with my own personal experiences with these sized batteries in other motorcycles, would make me very leery of putting a ATZ7S in my AT.

· Registered
2020 Africa Twin DCT
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thank you all for the reply's, i will go for the YTZ7S and see how far i get, i will report here again when i have put some miles on it, to let everybody know if it was a good idea or not.
I will be driving around with a "litium" :) starter pack in the topcase, just in case.

It will take some time, because its winter and my AT does not ride a lot these days, my daily bike now is a 20 year old deauville, in spring,summer and fall the deauville goes in summersleep and the AT awakes :)

· Registered
2018 AT DCT
53 Posts
I agree with the Yuasa recommendation but I doubt a YTZ7S will be enough battery for a 1000cc bike. The YTZ7S is typically found in sub-500cc bikes. At the least I'd recommend a YTZ10S.

I agree with the electrical performance of the 10Z, but the 10Z would definitely not fit in the OP's battery box if the size is the same as the 2018-2019 boxes. It also appears that the terminals are reversed compared to the OEM HY110.

· Registered
6 Posts
Hi Guys,

blew up my original battery Eliiy Power HY110 , dont ask me how, but its dead, i think the internal fuses have blown.
Now i was looking at replacments and came across some AGM battery's that fit the batterybox of a 2020 AT DCT and are a lot cheaper than the after market Lithium battery's and with the same specs as the Eliiy Power HY110, only diff is weight.

I search the forum, and only found a this old tread Replace 2018 Lithium Battery with AGM where everybody answers that you have to stay with Lipo but does not answer the question if there are people that have changed to AGM en what the result is.
And yes i know lithium is better but it is more fragile than AGM.
So my question is,
Has anybody done this and are they satisfied?
2nd question
is there any possibility to install a 2017 battery box on a newer 2020 AT?

the battery i want to use are (warning dutch site :))
Nitro NTZ8V SLA / YTZ8V GEL wont fit
Nitro NTZ7S SLA / YTZ7-S GEL
or
Yuasa YTZ8V wont fit
Yuasa YTZ7S
I have a 2017 and I replaced the battery up front with an Antigravity Battery. Very satisfied. Fit fine.

· Registered
314 Posts
I have a 2017 and I replaced the battery up front with an Antigravity Battery. Very satisfied. Fit fine.
Did you go with the ATZ-10? I bought one a couple weeks ago while they were on sale but put it on the shelf until the OEM battery finally dies. I've had an ATZ-7 Re-start in my DRZ for several years now and its been great.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts