·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hi All,

I just wondered if anyone had tried any of the cheap lights you can get off eBay, Banggood etc. Something like this ....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-CREE-LED-Headlight-Driving-Fog-Spot-Lights-Switch-Wire-harness/401804332744?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I know you get what you pay for most of the time, but sometimes there are alternatives out there.

Just wondered if anyone had tried them?

Thanks.
I have used them on my DRZ they were fine, I don't know if I would class 59 quid as cheap though mine were $30AU delivered for the pair, single LED square housing they put out about a billion times the light output of the standard DRZ headlight, OK maybe only about 5 times the output of the stock DRZ light.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree, not that cheap but that was the only link I could get in a hurry.

One of my concerns is getting something not too powerful. Some of the lights are quoting 90W!!! that may be fanciful marketing as it seems crazy.

I'm actually after them more for conspicuity than to light up the road - that will just be a bonus.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Interested also. Being 'Frugal' .
First thought was go with Denali or other expensive Light. Hope AT-Dragon chimes in, his light knowledge is Bright!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Are you wanting to be seen by others or to see where you're going? A light with 10,000 lumens may well be useless to actually see up the road with if the light spread is bad and yet a 2000 lumen light might be superb.

If it's just to be seen, I'd avoid both the ones you found and go simple. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Pcs-10W-Motorcycle-Motorbike-LED-Spot-Lights-Fog-Driving-Light-Running-Light/163838858461?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=1&asc=57924&meid=f661e9fd756a443fb5e22c6c4858b68c&pid=100005&rk=4&rkt=12&sd=283583330053&itm=163838858461&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

But if you're after lights to actually see with when you ride, go for a recommendation from someone who has the exact light fitted.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dave B - Mainly to be seen by others.

Why do you say avoid the ones I picked and go for the lower powered ones you mentioned? Are they a 'safer bet' because they are a low power, simple option? Or is there something else I'm missing?

I was also wondering how much power it is acceptable to constantly draw from the battery? 60W would be a constant 5A.

Thanks

·
Registered
135 Posts
For me, I'd avoid the very high powered ones simply because all I want to do is be seen, not dazzle with a million candlepower lights (whose beam you have no idea how well it will be focused, especially with more than 1 LED) A simple and small single LED is far more likely to be easier to adjust so as not to dazzle and obviously has far less draw on power.

If I wanted additional lights to light up the road ahead and make my nocturnal riding easier, I'd go for something like these....yes, they're expensive but properly made and e marked (I suspect the ones you posted up will come direct from some factory in China)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-OF-RIGID-INDUSTRIES-DUALLY-20221-12V-24V-LED-SPOT-LIGHT-LAMP-PODS-E-MARKED/232248025054?epid=576148024&hash=item36130f9fde:g:hlYAAOSw4CFYrEaR

I aren't an expert, just my opinion.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Dave. It's definitely the being seen that is the most important thing.

Now I just need to work out how to mount those small ones to the crash bars :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Crikey, scratch that. I've just seen a picture of them in someones hand - they are huge! Think the ones you put up were better Dave.

·
Registered
135 Posts
A well made 10w LED spotlight will be a far better light and have a better light spread than a cheapo 40w or 60w. I'd not go higher than 10w...x2

·
Registered
58 Posts
You get what you pay for is B.S., I bought high end lights and found the ol' 'made in china' on the back. Since then I have bought many 'cheap' lights from E bay made in china and have had great success

·
Registered
135 Posts
It's not the 'made in china' bit that is of concern to me. It's the potential lack of any testing of a cheap electrical component I'd be wiring up to my £10k bike that would lead me to buying (perhaps the same item) from a reputable supplier

·
Registered
3 Posts
I run two of these, the 60-degree version---superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-light-pods/led-light-pod-2-modular-led-off-road-work-light-10w-900-lumens/1699/12999/

They're mounted on my crash bars with these---amazon.com/gp/product/B004TXS0SS (in case the URL changes, search for "PIAA 74000 7/8"-1.24" L-Bracket")

I bought the mounts for the Twin; the lights themselves have survived about 25,000 miles across two bikes. They're affordable, modular and nearly indestructible. Highly recommended!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts