Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well didn't want to spens 400 on a top box so started looking around.
Home depot has Dewalt tool boxes for $69? made of same material as pelican boxes.
There tough the bottom has some flex but i will be using a aluminum plate for strength and mounting.
Here's a mock up pictures.
I saw on adv site a guy using the ridgid tool boxes for panniers. There 19x16x6 & same pelican case style material.
Happy cheap hack for panniers everyone.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Took mine (also a Dewalt) on its maiden run this afternoon. Mine looks at bit smaller than yours, but easily fits a full face helmet. Cost about $25.00 at local farm store. It is bolted on to a plate attached to the factory bolt holes. No quick release, or any thing, but it's cheap!

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
My box measures 16 Wide x 11 x 11 (more or less). It's bolted on with 6 mm stainless bolts with fender washers on the plastic side.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My box measures 16 Wide x 11 x 11 (more or less). It's bolted on with 6 mm stainless bolts with fender washers on the plastic side.
I am pretty sure this is the 1 you have
http://hardwareonlinestore.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=103430&virtuemart_category_id=27804&gclid=CIjuoYjp9c4CFQcoaQodKlkLFQ

there not sold in our local home depot has to be ordered in maybe tractor supply has it. I like the fact it's a little smaller.
go bash down some dirt and rough rocky stuff for a day & let us all know how it holds up/ IE cracking or failure:wink2:.
I plan on sandwiching the bottom between 2 plates of 1/16th aluminum plate & it will be almost as big as the bottom surface bolted in all 4 corners as well as the 4 mount holes in middle. this should make it stronger then heck. :grin2:. oh the 4 mount bolts I plan on making quick release with tacked nuts inside on the aluminum plate.

have a wonderful day.
I will look see if can find the smaller one before I mount for good.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Wow, how to ruin the looks of a lovely bike! Why not just pickup an old Orange crate and be done with it!

Reactions: Wrany72

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, how to ruin the looks of a lovely bike! Why not just pickup an old Orange crate and be done with it!
aren't we a bit hateful there.
for one we don't do orange around this forum>:) we bleed Honda red.
#2 Maybe we are not made of $$$ like some people in the forum:surprise:.
#3 practicality / Price / water tight.
#4 it's my bike that's why no orange crate.
Some are buying a 13k bike dropping 10k more in farkels on it UMM can you say X, BMW riders LOL.

I don't care WTF you think my bike looks like it is practical for use &
not crazy in price it serves the purpose as good or better then a $400 box any day.
mine is bigger then helispuds box & I wanted a big box for long travels I will have a smaller box for small trips. either way it is behind me & doesn't drag wind.

I am sure helispud feels the same way.

just remember what your momma taught you, if you don't have anything nice to say shut your pie hole.
Have a nice day may you not be so angry over a box on "MY MOTORCYCLE NOT YOURS":grin2::grin2:.
oh lets see your bikes boxes?????? how much $$$$$$$$$$ did you waste to do the exact same thing as us?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Looks like a great solution and fits very well on the footprint of the rear rack, no overhang unlike some top boxes. Well done....

·
Registered
20 Posts
I personally was able to finance the top box and panniers with my bike, so it wasn't much of an issue. But I like this solution and might have gone a similar direction if I hadn't been able to do that.

One thing to be aware of though is you are incorrect about it dragging wind. The top box will grab a lot of wind and be careful not to overload it with weight. It will be easy with a box that big and that will severely impact your handling and suspension travel.

·
Registered
479 Posts
After spending $13,000 on my brand new bike I didn't want to spend $69 on a Dewalt tool box so started looking around the local dumpsters and came across this disused Fedex cardboard box.

There is loads of flex but I will be using an extra layer of cardboard, maybe from a cornflake packet for strength and mounting. Waterproofing comes from the cling film which was already on the box, an added bonus! I thought about buying some new string to secure it on the bike but came across and old piece of cable which secured it all just fine, voila!

Here's a mock up pictures. Happy cheap hack for panniers everyone.

Attachments

Reactions: superfunkomatic

·
Registered
238 Posts
Panniers

The Honda boxes look flimsy whe I saw them on a demo bike for the high price.id sooner a metal type box.who supply the better after market in Europe?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Looks like a great solution and fits very well on the footprint of the rear rack, no overhang unlike some top boxes. Well done....
Said the blind man to the Actress....

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've now have about 250 miles on my $30.00 Dewalt repurposed toolbox/cheap topcase. About 50 % rough gravel, rocky mountain roads and 50 % pavement. After getting back this afternoon I pulled 2 of the 4 bolts holding it on. So far no cracks. In fact the bolts are still very snug in their holes drill into the plastic box. It was really nice to be able to stop at a roadside stand and buy a half dozen ears of sweet corn and the same number of giant cucumbers for tonight's dinner. The vegetables fit right it with a small soft cooler with 4 bottles of water with plastic ice cubes, tools, spare tube, can of air, and light jacket. Just throw them in and go. The only thing better would be eltel62's recycled FedEx box! Of course I would use used hay baling twine for mounting, since we have a Yuuge supply of such!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Found the option for those who want their top cases to be easily removable. coyotetrips.com has a rear rack that will let you adapt any flat bottom case. Locked onto bike with a tiny padlock and be removable if need be. You will have to add some hardware to the case to attach them to the rack. The rack has cutouts for bungees, its pretty thin and light and scuffs easily but will hold the rated 22lbs all day long. I have a big DeWalt toolbox from Home Depot and a knockoff Pelican from Harbor Freight that I switch between. Under $2oo for the rack with all hardware and both boxes.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Heres a followup and short review of the CoyoteTrips rack and puck system.

Fellow riders have said the box bounces around a bit when riding. I don't have a full support plate in the bottom inside but there are 1.5"X6" metal strips inside that serve as giant washers. I had to put longer screws and extra washers on the pucks to make the boxes stand off of the plate a little bit. Not a big fan of the little padlock that locks the box to the plate. Mainly because its the main point of jokes when I show how the system works. I usually just leave my biggest box on because you never know when you may have to make a stop for anything. I always have a few bungees in the box, and have bungee'd my jacket to the top of the box on occasion. The plate has even more scuffs that are hidden under the box.

Overall though, I am completely happy with this setup. The box looks like any other motorcycle box to the cagers. Paint the yellow bits black, add a few more ADV stickers and some reflector tape on the back and it will be indistinguishable imo.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts