Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 2017 manual AT. Love the bike but I'm getting a bit annoyed with a check engine issue. It first appeared right before my 1000km service. The dealer investigated (I think code was throttle bodies or something), they simply cleared the error and it hasn't reappeared, that is until yesterday. I'm at about 6500km now. Bike runs just fine, but check engine stays on.

The only mod I have done to the bike is the Arrow exhaust (with baffle in), and it was installed at around 500km.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah last time they charged me to reset the check engine. They told me the Honda warranty only covers the cost if they replace something. If they dont replace a part, then you need to pay the time. I was a bit surprised as this was my first Honda, I've never experienced anything similar at Ducati, Triumph, Yamaha, Kawasaki, etc...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd say download a copy of the service manual, and read the MIL code yourself.
Then you'll be better educated on the cause why the check engine is lit , and negotiate better with the dealer.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Get an OBD CAN 2 reader and the proper cable . So you will able to read and delete MIL

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Took it for a ride yesterday and the check engine had disappeared. Fingers crossed that it stays that way, we don't have many Honda dealers in the area, and the one we have isn't great.

·
Registered
121 Posts
You didn't by chance run it on the center stand to lube the chain or similar? I did this and it threw the MIL and took awhile to clear. Assume it was an ABS or traction control related code.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You didn't by chance run it on the center stand to lube the chain or similar? I did this and it threw the MIL and took awhile to clear. Assume it was an ABS or traction control related code.

Interesting...I do lube my chain by using a pitbull stand and putting the bike in 1st gear. Whats weird is the first time I had the check engine is was something about the throttle bodies, but I might just make sure next time to disable the TC before lubing the chain, it can't hurt.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hope your keeping your fingers out of the way. Not a way I would advocate.

Yeah everytime I show a new rider how to grease their chain I show them exactly the opposite of what I do hehe
But in 300000km+ so far so good, it's pretty safe how I do it, front wheel in rack, rear wheel on pitbull stand, I spray from the side and behind the chain, I don't have long hair or loose clothing hanging around...

·
Registered
69 Posts
There was a guy in my high school called Stubbs. Had one finger shorter than the others from lubing his motorcycle chain running in gear on a center stand. I am willing to take a few minutes more to do the job.

·
Registered
171 Posts
There was a guy in my high school called Stubbs. Had one finger shorter than the others from lubing his motorcycle chain running in gear on a center stand. I am willing to take a few minutes more to do the job.

Yep, same thing happen to one of my mates, back in the 80’s. Kept telling him not to do it, he was lubing the chain on his GPZ900, the rag dragged his fingers into the rear sprocket, lost half an inch off two fingers. Not recommended. :frown2:

·
Registered
49 Posts
+1 for NEVER lubing the chain in gear. Just not worth the 2 minutes.

Much harder to ride with one hand! ;)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Wish I had a vid of my buddys latest macho trick for lubing his dirtbike chain, he loves doing this with a crowd of onlookers. Starts the bike runs it in 1st gear, one hand tilting the bike over on its sidestand so the spinning rear wheel is off the ground, other hand down there lubing the chain.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Wish I had a vid of my buddys latest macho trick for lubing his dirtbike chain, he loves doing this with a crowd of onlookers. Starts the bike runs it in 1st gear, one hand tilting the bike over on its sidestand so the spinning rear wheel is off the ground, other hand down there lubing the chain.
No trick there, Ive been doing that for the last 45 years without issue on all my dirt bikes, just use a plastic tube extension tube to keep your fingers out of the chain, only way to lube a chain :smile2: I lube the AT the same way but up on the center stand.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok so I just sold the bike, but if anyone else has a check engine after lubing the chain while in 1st gear on a stand, just ride the bike 10-20 min, stop and when you turn it back on the check engine will have cleared by itself. You can possibly avoid this by disabling the TC before lubing the chain (if you spray it while in 1st gear on a stand).
Cheers!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts