Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took about a 600 miles trip last weekend on the AT, and about 50 miles into the trip my Check Engine Light came on. No noticeable difference in performance or gas mileage; just the annoying light. When I got home I did a visual inspection and found the O2 Sensor Cable connector had come loose and got against the exhaust and milted up to the wire connectors/pins. This is the female side of the connector.

I'm trying to find some reference to what kind of connector it is; Sumitomo SL Sealed Series, maybe? The only replacements I can find are O2 Eliminators. Can this be a temporary fix and turn the light out?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Bud...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Since nobody provided any insight as to how to proceed with this problem :frown2:, I got adventurous and tried a few things myself.

First, I cleaned up the connector as much as I could by trimming the burn plastic back to where the connector would plug into the receptacle. The latch is burned off, but it appears to be a snug fit. Then I followed the procedure to reset the Check Engine Light (MIL, or whatever it is actually called), turned the light off, and everything is working as designed. :smile2:

Second, I ordered an O2 Lambda Eliminator Kit. The only ones I can find are from England or Europe, no US offerings. The write ups for one that was for 2016 only, not 2017 which I have. Found one in Greece for 2016 and 2017; what's the difference?

So, If the eliminator works I will be encouraged to remove the catalytic converter or perhaps upgrade my entire exhaust system.

Thanks for the suggestions, Bud...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Since nobody provided any insight as to how to proceed with this problem :frown2:, I got adventurous and tried a few things myself.

First, I cleaned up the connector as much as I could by trimming the burn plastic back to where the connector would plug into the receptacle. The latch is burned off, but it appears to be a snug fit. Then I followed the procedure to reset the Check Engine Light (MIL, or whatever it is actually called), turned the light off, and everything is working as designed. :smile2:

Second, I ordered an O2 Lambda Eliminator Kit. The only ones I can find are from England or Europe, no US offerings. The write ups for one that was for 2016 only, not 2017 which I have. Found one in Greece for 2016 and 2017; what's the difference?

So, If the eliminator works I will be encouraged to remove the catalytic converter or perhaps upgrade my entire exhaust system.

Thanks for the suggestions, Bud...
You dont need an 02 eliminator to remove the cat, it will work fine with it

1 - 3 of 3 Posts