Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! So i bought CRF1000L 2019 Few months ago, motorcycle is perfect and i would never change it!

And i got OEM Quick Shifter and installed it as it wrote and on youtube watched video how people are installing and it was not to hard

However, today i was riding, and when i wanted to shift it down without cluch as i installed quick shifter, it didn't want to work, like it didn't want to let me use it, it just worked with clutch, and all of a sudden i had yellow mark ond dashboard for "Check Engine" And i stoped motorcycle right away, i was 30km away from home, motorcycle works it want to fire up and everything , but when i wanna shift gear from lets say 3rd to 2nd, it doesnt work, only on up shift without clutch, down (not working), and when i shift normaly wont accelerate that good it loses power and i have a video to show you for the engine check light

I have that service connector

It goes slow 10 times and then 7 times, i was reading that it can be Map Sensor, Shift Sensor, but a lot of you are more advanced with it, so please , if someone can maybe help me, i would be thankful on milion levels, thank you in advance. Nikola

LINK TO VIDEO

· Registered
726 Posts
That is probably the MIL code for 107-1 Shift stroke sensor for the quickshifter. Did you buy the quickshifter new? What part number?

There's only the one connector on the quickshifter so check to make sure it is connected properly, fully seated and no strain on the wiring when shifting up or down.

Could be the wiring coming out of the quickshifter, there's an issue on earlier versions of QS where the wiring can break at the potting on the stroke sensor due to flexing too much. If it is the wiring, it's possible to repair by scraping out the potting and re-soldering the wires. On this version of the QS, the wiring should be routed so the wires doe not flex where they exit the stroke sensor. There was an updated QS version that rerouted the wiring and then the latest version for the CRF1100 has a large grommet in that area to prevent the issue altogether. It's been discussed in on other QS threads on the forum. Hopefully it's just the connector not seated properly and came loose. If so, may need to initalize again.

The QS not only has to be initialized but also enabled and setup in the dash menu for both up and down.

2018-2019 CRF1000 quickshifter initialization setup:
Font Parallel Circle Number

Rectangle Parallel Font Slope Symmetry

Then you have to go back into the dash and enable the quickshifter both for up and down modes and choose load level. I prefer 1 for both. For some dumb reason Honda puts the QS Enable & Setup portion in a separate guide.

Font Material property Parallel Rectangle Screenshot

Attachments

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi! Thank you for replying me!

So i bought it from here! Honda Quick Shifter for Honda Africa Twin CRF

As they say it's an OEM product, i will take a closer look at your message now!

I did all of these what you sended me, and i activated it like that, and it worked pretty well to be honest

And what do you reccomend, do i disable it? And go with the stock one? I tried to turn it off, with diagnostic,and when i did all of that , disconected it, and it still occur there that Check Engine

To go with stock one (Manual Shift)

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried disconecting and connecting it again as you said to me, but i get this, sometimes it works sometimes not, when i perform INIT (YES) after that i do not get ENGINE START, but if i do it again or 2 times more again and again, i get after INIT (YES) Engine Start, i do not get it what is going on

· Registered
726 Posts
If it's intermittent, possibly bad QS wiring I mentioned, can try wiggling or moving the wires where they exit the QS and check the connectors for any pin damage. Did you clear the stored MIL before trying again? I can post the troubleshooting for MIL code 107-1 Shift stroke sensor in a bit.

08U70-MKK-D01 is one of the old design from Honda that doesn't even have the update mounting solution, I'm surprised they're still selling it to be honest. Should have gotten the one for 2022 CRF1100 part # 08U70-MLG-E00 as the design should improve reliability and less expensive.
Honda Quick Shifter for Honda Africa Twin CRF
HONDA : Quick Shifter [08U70MLGE00]

Here's a thread on the newer qs: Quickshifter

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did disabled it , and i turned it off from the service connector, but i still have same 10 times blinking slow, and 7 times fast

Where can i find this Shift Stroke Sensor? Is it only on Quick Shifter or it's on the motorcycle it self?

· Registered
726 Posts
The stroke sensor is the quickshifter part with the wires coming out of it.

Yes, it's annoying though perhaps it can be repaired. Here's @TETSUHIRO thread testing and repairing his quickshifter: Be careful as the wiring of the quick shifter is weak.

This thread tells how to check and clear stored MIL codes: PGM-FI Fault Light Reset
Complete the following process to erase the fault codes. Start by turning the ignition switch to the OFF position. Short the indicated wires of the DLC. Turn the ignition switch ON and the engine stop switch to RUN. Remove the special tool to disconnect the jump. The MIL will light for approximately 5 seconds. While the MIL lights, short the DLC terminals again. The self-diagnostic memory is erased if the MIL goes off and then starts blinking. I had to repeat this a couple times to get the timing right. Good luck. I hope this helps someone down the road.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Nomadic_adv Hey buddy, so today, i was in official store of Honda, Quick Shifter Sensor as you told me is burned , they plugged my motorcycle on Diagnose, to check for everything and you were right, so now i need to see if i can have refund from the quick shifter and get the newer version of it

They have deactivated it, dismounted it, and i replaced it with stock one (No Quickshifter)

Mechanic said that he drove it for 7laps today and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt work, and everything when he move wires motorcycle shows Check Engine for 107 code

So now, everything works perfectly without it

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hopefully, i need to see what i can do with that

By the way, as i was there, they changed oil, oil filter, air filter , chain clean and stuff, so it's ready for this season

Also @Nomadic_adv, their Honda Motul 10w30 Full Syntetic, is it best oil for Honda, their "OEM" ? Or is there any better one better?

· Registered
726 Posts
Realistically, I think they're all pretty good. I found I have to change oil around 5k miles due to decreased shift quality. I'm on Shell Advance 4T full synthetic 10w40 now with a few thousand miles now so have to wait and see how it goes. Feels really good shifting as it's known for that. Next oil change will be valve check time so will check the clutch as well.(y)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts