Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya! I've got a 2017 US model that twice now has blown the same fuse. Specifically, the 7.5A ILLUMI STOP one residing under the seat.

On both occasions I was had been riding steadily for a few hours at highway speeds. The first time it blew at around 500 miles (had been riding non-stop for 300 miles) and the second blew a few days after at 1,200 miles, again, riding at highway speeds (75 mph). Important to note that the first time was definitely keeping the bike around 5k RPMs tops.

On both occasions I did not notice the problem until I looked down and saw that the display was blank. I first thought the display had gone bye-bye but that quickly escalated to: Blinkers did not work, Changing gears did not work; Emergency hazards did not work. More worrisome is that, about three seconds after I finally came to a stop, I heard the gears shifting down. Very weird how they only started coming down 3 seconds AFTER I had come to a full stop!

I replaced it with the spare 10A fuse and drove to a dealership. There they checked and told me there were various entries related to DCT but no active "errors". They cleared the engine warning light, replaced and reseated all the fuses, tightened the battery contacts and sent me on my way.

A few days later the same happened at around 1,200 miles under the same conditions. I replaced the fuse (with the spare 10A one) on my own and for the remainder of my trip (ended at 2,700 miles) without any more issues.

I have since replaced it with the OEM 7.5A fuse and have not had issues. I have not ridden it as much either, so cannot declare it clear and was hoping other AT owners could let me know of the same or similar issues and if anyone knows what that "ILLUMI STOP" circuit handles.

And, if you are about to suggest that I just run the 10A fuse, one of the dealerships suggested the same thing but declined to put it on paper that my warranty (inlcuding the extended one I bought) would be honored in case I overloaded other electronics of if overheated wires set the bike on fire.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Heya! I've got a 2017 US model that twice now has blown the same fuse. Specifically, the 7.5A ILLUMI STOP one residing under the seat.

On both occasions I was had been riding steadily for a few hours at highway speeds. The first time it blew at around 500 miles (had been riding non-stop for 300 miles) and the second blew a few days after at 1,200 miles, again, riding at highway speeds (75 mph). Important to note that the first time was definitely keeping the bike around 5k RPMs tops.

On both occasions I did not notice the problem until I looked down and saw that the display was blank. I first thought the display had gone bye-bye but that quickly escalated to: Blinkers did not work, Changing gears did not work; Emergency hazards did not work. More worrisome is that, about three seconds after I finally came to a stop, I heard the gears shifting down. Very weird how they only started coming down 3 seconds AFTER I had come to a full stop!

I replaced it with the spare 10A fuse and drove to a dealership. There they checked and told me there were various entries related to DCT but no active "errors". They cleared the engine warning light, replaced and reseated all the fuses, tightened the battery contacts and sent me on my way.

A few days later the same happened at around 1,200 miles under the same conditions. I replaced the fuse (with the spare 10A one) on my own and for the remainder of my trip (ended at 2,700 miles) without any more issues.

I have since replaced it with the OEM 7.5A fuse and have not had issues. I have not ridden it as much either, so cannot declare it clear and was hoping other AT owners could let me know of the same or similar issues and if anyone knows what that "ILLUMI STOP" circuit handles.

And, if you are about to suggest that I just run the 10A fuse, one of the dealerships suggested the same thing but declined to put it on paper that my warranty (inlcuding the extended one I bought) would be honored in case I overloaded other electronics of if overheated wires set the bike on fire.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello! It took me a while, but I finally found your thread addressing my same issue, but was obviously disappointed to see no replies…. Just wondering what has happened since you posted, and if you’ve learned anything more. Thank you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts