Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, been kicking around the a leftover 17 or a new AS. I am 6'5 so the AS has drawn me in, BUT, found a used 17 in great shape with tour a tech upper and lower guards, and knobby tires for 10.8k, vs the 15.5 for the DCT AS. Looking at a seat concepts seat, plus the knight lowering pegs (anyone use the off-road? There no off road disclaimer is worrisome), and risers, i might be able to achieve more room than the AS has stock. I would lose out on the other upgrades, but at almost a $5k premium, I am leaning towards the 17. It is the color I like, and I really like that someone else has to take the depreciation hit. I am pretty stoked about the adventure thing. Have and will be keep a monster 1200, bought a CRF250L in Feb that I sold 2 weeks ago, just too small for my size. Looking for thoughts one way or the other, might be pulling trigger this weekend.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I am also 6 foot five and have the ATAS
For me there is no contest. The ATAS is so roomy and tall. Plenty of leg room etc. Its the only bike that has ever been big enough for me in 50 years of riding
When you see the AS next to the standard bike the size difference is really noticeable, just looks so imposing.

I test rode the standard 2016 AT and it was not comfortable for me, the seat on the AS is better.
A test ride may help you decide

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm not 6' 5" but 6' 0", so the following may not apply for you.......I made up my mind to not accept the depreciation hit of buying a new AT. I searched Craigslist, CycleTrader and NexTech for months looking for the "right" deal. I located a motivated seller and bought a heavily outfitted '17 AT DCT for $ 10K with 5K miles. The key is to be patient and buy/offer with green cash. Yes, the '18 ATAS would have offered me a larger gas tank, ride by wire and more programming options versus the '17 model. But, in reality, I don't need a larger gas tank, ride by wire or more programming options that I wouldn't use anyway. Sometimes, less is more. Comparing the original invoice price of the '17 plus all the farkles the prior owner added, I saved at least $ 6 K versus buying a new '18 model. IF you can hold off for a year, there will be some very nice deals next year on used '18 ATAS, especially if the '19's come out with cruise control (which I don't require). Also, when Yamaha releases the new 700 Tenere, look for good deals on used AT's.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I went for a new 2017 cause I couldnt find any used ones in my area that were manual. But I think you made the right decision. It's always best to buy a used well equipped bike, you just save thousands...and alot of time on top of that. As for comfort I'm 6'1" long legs, and I ordered the Seat Concepts Rally seat, larger pegs and bar risers. I think at 6'0" the AT is perfect. At 6'5" the ATAS is definitely better :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I have ridden and was fine on a 17, I was thinking with pegs, seat, and risers, I would be close to ergonomics of AS. Honestly I think the base model looks more nimble and athletic, though the AS is sweet. Not sure the soonest $5k price difference is enough for me. AS just came up US a few months back so used market will be limited for a bit.

·
Registered
297 Posts
So I have ridden and was fine on a 17, I was thinking with pegs, seat, and risers, I would be close to ergonomics of AS. Honestly I think the base model looks more nimble and athletic, though the AS is sweet. Not sure the soonest $5k price difference is enough for me. AS just came up US a few months back so used market will be limited for a bit.

Some journalists also complained about the width of the tank on the ATAS...I think both bikes are great, but personnaly I would rather spend the 5000$ difference on other stuff :) Cause let's face it even if you went with the ATAS, you'll still add mods to it..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts