Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess most of owners agree that the LCD screen of the Africa sucks as far as it concerns visibility in most of the daylight conditions. The question is simple: does anyone know if we could possibly substitute the LCD screen with a TFT one, using the same PCB, showing the exact same info?

Going further, could one possibly use the main PCB to get the data and show them on a TFT screen/board with tailored graphics and possibly enhanced features like connectivity etc?

(note: to those friends that will be tempted to answer "go buy the 2020 model, lad" , I am not interested to swap my bike..... having it for just more than a year and only 14K kms, the expenditure is not justifiable.)

·
Registered
344 Posts
There would be a lot of reverse engineering involved, I presume. So much that it would be unpractical and uneconomical... something no one would delve into, I think.

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
I guess most of owners agree that the LCD screen of the Africa sucks as far as it concerns visibility in most of the daylight conditions. The question is simple: does anyone know if we could possibly substitute the LCD screen with a TFT one, using the same PCB, showing the exact same info?

Going further, could one possibly use the main PCB to get the data and show them on a TFT screen/board with tailored graphics and possibly enhanced features like connectivity etc?

(note: to those friends that will be tempted to answer "go buy the 2020 model, lad" , I am not interested to swap my bike..... having it for just more than a year and only 14K kms, the expenditure is not justifiable.)
Funny thing is, I’ve heard this before, about it sucking. I have yet been in ANY condition where I’ve had issues seeing the screen‘s info. Even with mud on it, direct sunlight, nighttime, etc. I can still easily read it, so I gotta ask. When do you or better still in what conditions can you not read it. I mean, the only time I’m remotely interested in it is when I see a cop and I want to double check that I’m not speeding other than that I know exactly whats on there, I’ve set the parameters myself, I know with in a few rpm’s where the engine is at and with in a couple mph how fast I’m going, exactly what gear I’m in. . I don know maybe it’s just because I’m a very experienced rider but I really don’t pay much attention at all to my dash/screen I know just what the bike is doing without having to look at it....

·
Registered
344 Posts
for me, worst readability condition of the LCD is when the sun is in front of me and the jacket/helmet reflects on the screen (I'm used to wear light/hiviz gear). That makes info almost unreadable.
Obviously you don't spend your time staring at the LCD, but is equally obvious that when I need to read some info, it must be readable: that's the function of the instrument panel!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As Deltabi wrote, this is the worst condition. Furthermore, I find that the best condition is when the sun is behind me. All in all, in most of the cases and conditions within a Greek summer day, you simply can marginally see the dash.

I also can understand how fast I am going, or approximately how many rpms the engine is doing without having to look at the dash. BUT, a dash is supposed to be readable at a glance; this is the purpose, right? I do not want to guess reading and even more, waste a split second more than needed, on trying to make out what the dash reads. :smile2:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I experience the same as deltabi. When the sun is in front of me (but not only), my light colored 'helmet chin' reflects in the LCD so much that makes the display unreadable. If I want to see the display, I have to move my head either to the right or to the left far enough to see something. I guess, I must like numbers since I, sometimes, look at the display. I have no problem seeing the display at night, but I do not ride at night that much, worried about hitting an animal and possibly kill it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Are you guys all doing the black tape around the centre of the handlebars trick? I found this helped tremendously with screen glare as a lot of it comes from handlebar reflection. Free mod too.

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
for me, worst readability condition of the LCD is when the sun is in front of me and the jacket/helmet reflects on the screen (I'm used to wear light/hiviz gear). That makes info almost unreadable.
Obviously you don't spend your time staring at the LCD, but is equally obvious that when I need to read some info, it must be readable: that's the function of the instrument panel!
As Deltabi wrote, this is the worst condition. Furthermore, I find that the best condition is when the sun is behind me. All in all, in most of the cases and conditions within a Greek summer day, you simply can marginally see the dash.

I also can understand how fast I am going, or approximately how many rpms the engine is doing without having to look at the dash. BUT, a dash is supposed to be readable at a glance; this is the purpose, right? I do not want to guess reading and even more, waste a split second more than needed, on trying to make out what the dash reads. :smile2:
Maybe it’s just me and the times and vehicle direction I commonly ride, yes on occasion I do notice a reflection of my hi-viz coat (when I ware it) but I still have no problems seeing the info. Maybe it’s years of off road riding and looking through muddy goggles; but at least in my case I can, I guess, ignore(?) the reflection.. LOL right now I have a fluorescent green/yellow screen protector on my display...

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have to agree with this, I have a high viz jacket and helmet, it gets difficult to see the screen from time to time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is there not a more simple solution like an anti-glare stick on shield or something? I have the 2018, and it is pretty bad when the sun is in front of the bike, like the others have said. It really should be totally visible at a glance.
I'm always amazed at how engineers and designers can build magnificent machines and devices and whatever, and yet fail at some level. The dash and the battery (location/accessibility) on the AT. Both are a total FAIL IMO, on an otherwise magnificent bike.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've got the Camel screen brace with a pair of Quad Lock mounts left and right of it. I have a Samsung S8 and an S9 that I carry (work and personal phones) - and I had them both mounted during a ride so I could charge them. I was using one as a GPS and speedometer - and the other for music (bluetooth connected to my helmet chatterbox). The screen on my ATAS is similar enough in shape and size that it looked as though I had a dash with 3 screens (other people on the ride were surprisingly impressed). I normally ride with a helmet visor but no face shield - and only have a glare when riding right into the sun - but that is the sun, not the dash. When I dip my head down to cover the sun with my visor - then I can see the dash and my phones fine.

I'm fine with the ATAS battery too - maybe the AT is different? Now changing their filter - that is where I think someone needs to slap the people who designed that setup!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why do you think the TFT would not have the same problem with reflections?
It is not only the reflections. It is also the intensity. The TFT screens offer much higher intensity, and furthermore, theoretically I could set it up to have a positive display, meaning black characters on white background. This will be definitely more visible.

Having said that, another solution is to change the polarising filter on the existing LCD screen to make it positive....

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are different TFT screens. In example, most of the older GPS devices by garmin don't have backlight enough to be read easily under direct sunlight. Meanwhile the 276Cx version has an amazingly bright screen.
My 2011 car has an older TFT screen wich is covered by something like the 2018's ATs. The newer models don't need that hood as they are much brighter.
But still, no matter how much light a TFT can emit, it will never be as bright as the sun. So they will be difficult to read under some particular circumstances. On the other hand, the dash on my 2018 ATAS is difficult to read under almost every circumstance.

Going back to the original post, I know it's difficult (for me) an expensive (for me too). But in the same way chinese manufacturers build android devices for almost any old car in the market. I think it would be great if somebody with the knowledge needed, built a TFT tablet/dashboard, for this bike. I'd buy it.

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
I might ask all here; do you have or better still, did you turn the contrast all the way up on the display ?
Just curious, because by default it’s set at 50%.... Thinking about it now what display? The 18+ or the older one, guess I should of asked/looked before I said my two cents...

·
Registered
344 Posts
I might ask all here; do you have or better still, did you turn the contrast all the way up on the display ?
Just curious, because by default it’s set at 50%.... Thinking about it now what display? The 18+ or the older one, guess I should of asked/looked before I said my two cents...
Yes, the contrast is turned all the way up. When in critical lighting condition it does not help much. Model year 2018.

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
Yes, the contrast is turned all the way up. When in critical lighting condition it does not help much. Model year 2018.
Yea must just be a rider height/position thing I have a 2018 and don’t really have any issues..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts