Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone break a clutch or brake lever yet? How about those flimsy handguards? Please tell me what you did, whether you replaced with stock and if not, what did you get and are they better?
I have had to falls that have broken the hand guards, where I replaced them with stock original parts and one time broke my clutch lever as I slipped on the wet deck of a roll on roll off ferry.

·
Super Moderator
1,545 Posts
On a good enough impact they are supposed to break, and if they do like they are designed to the end should just bust off, as far as levers are concerned .
same thing with the brush guards, carry a small tube of super glue. I’ve personally seen a couple of times the “great” bark buster guards fold in and press the levers down enough that we HAD to pry them back so the bike and a quad could be ridden, and quite a few time where it just made it a pain to ride cause they were bent in.Yes they are better if the bike just falls over, but. PITA to strengthen if you bend them and costly to replace, plastic is cheap repairable and actually do their job very well, which is protecting your hands from brush and small branches.. But this is just my experience and thoughts.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Stock guards result in broken levers and guards when you drop the bike.
I have barkbusters with Storm guards. Multiple drops at slow speeds in mud and on gravel. No damage to levers.
I have replaced levers with Zeta.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Good thing to carry in your tool bag is a small vise grip, you can clamp on to the broken clutch or brake lever.
+1 on vise grips. Willy rides with these in his tank bag.

IMG_6035.JPG

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah, that'll help. You can also buy off a few accessories from 4WheelOnline. Feel free to ask them about any of their accessories, that'll help with the clutch and brake levers you'll need.

·
Registered
43 Posts
plastic is cheap repairable and actually do their job very well, which is protecting your hands from brush and small branches.. But this is just my experience and thoughts.
I have a CRF1000A, Black, 2019, I just broke the bracket that attaches the fat end of the brush guard (clutch side) to Mirror hanger bracket. It's a U-shaped bracket that mounts to top and bottom of mirror/handlebar mount, know what I mean? Got a pic...

Where can I find an OEM replacement? I don't know what to call it to bring it up online.

Thanks, Pete

·
Super Moderator
1,545 Posts
I have a CRF1000A, Black, 2019, I just broke the bracket that attaches the fat end of the brush guard (clutch side) to Mirror hanger bracket. It's a U-shaped bracket that mounts to top and bottom of mirror/handlebar mount, know what I mean? Got a pic...

Where can I find an OEM replacement? I don't know what to call it to bring it up online.

View attachment 55017

Thanks, Pete
HOLDER, L. KNUCKLE
53196-MJP-G60
$13.00

·
Registered
258 Posts
Get some Barkbusters. The OEM guards break every time you drop the bike. Levers sometimes too.
Exactly he conclusion I come oo after dropping and breaking hand guards and indicator and bending lever on my 2017 last year.
Add to that if you have a DCT its rare to buy a single lever so you have to buy a pair then you can't use the clutch one...arghhhhhhhhh!
So now, as you say its Barkbusters!

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thank you for the bark buster information. I had already ordered the new part. And with the COVID-19 problems, and customer service I cannot get the old order stopped and order the bark busters. But I definitely will do that later on. I won’t be needing it for a while now anyway, yesterday I backed over an extension cord tripping on it, and landed flat on my back on a rough concrete driveway. I was knocked unconscious and taken to the hospital. I have a concussion, and have been instructed to stay off my bike, for two weeks, definitely, and possibly up to three more months after that. Today, I am very dizzy, and hurt all over, but it sure could have been a lot worse. I think that I will be fine in a month or so.

·
Registered
43 Posts
So, now I have discovered on-road Trail Braking, and have been practicing up a bit, very slowly.
I really like how the corners feel braking in that way.
Problem is, my front brake needs to be closer to my first two fingers, so I can keep them there while speeding up.
This is the first lower (adjustable) profile lever I found on a search at RevZilla,

Vortex V3 s.0 Lever

Would this be a good choice?
What are others using?
Cheaper would be nice, but I know, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Okay, I didn't check the manual, just looked at the brake lever, there is a dial! Geez, never even noticed that!
Dialed it up to six, probably more than enough, we'll see

Thanks for asking the obvious Shadowjack!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts