1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
My second Post and I need help already
needy much!
Started the bike tonight when I left work and noticed and whining noise coming from the clutch area
this stopped once I pulled the clutch in.
Bike is a 2019 (69 plate uk) and only has just over 4000 miles
It sounded like an old car I had when the thrust bearing was going
could this be the case?
I have only had the bike 3 days
Private sale FFS!

·
Registered
2019 Africa Twin Adventure Sports
563 Posts
I would...
  1. Check Proper Oil Level
  2. Check that your Clutch free-play is in spec.
  3. Check your chain slack is within spec.
If that doesn't fix it then you might have to crack the case.

Please let us know what you find... Or don't find. (y)

Reactions: greyhair75

·
Registered
515 Posts
This is caused by free play in the primary drive gears. When you pull in the clutch it puts load on the clutch hub assembly which takes out the free play. This is normal. If it gets really bad and the clutch begins to get excessive play at the lever it would indicate that the clutch hub nut has loosened. Many bikes make this noise, it is especially noticeable at idle at the engine firing impulses rattle the clutch drive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is caused by free play in the primary drive gears. When you pull in the clutch it puts load on the clutch hub assembly which takes out the free play. This is normal. If it gets really bad and the clutch begins to get excessive play at the lever it would indicate that the clutch hub nut has loosened. Many bikes make this noise, it is especially noticeable at idle at the engine firing impulses rattle the clutch drive.
Thanks for the response
I noticed this morning the rubble but when I pulled up to a junction it stopped.
So is it a case, that the clutch hub nut can be tightened back up?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Thanks for the response
I noticed this morning the rubble but when I pulled up to a junction it stopped.
So is it a case, that the clutch hub nut can be tightened back up?
If the noise is excessive and the clutch hub nut is loose, it can be tightened up by removing the clutch cover case and removing the center clutch spring assembly to access the nut. I don't think I have ever heard of an Africa Twin having the nut loosen but have seen this happen on other bikes. There is one other thing that can cause this noise as well. Where the main clutch basket is attached to the primary gear assembly there is spring or rubber damper built into the hub to take up shock loads. These can become loose especially if the previous owner abused the clutch a lot, dirt riding or doing burn outs etc., if the hub damper is loose the clutch will rattle and the noise will go away when the clutch is pulled in. If this is the case a little rattle will not hurt anything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts