Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to pack a little bicycle hand pump for long trips because it is light and small - but I think I'll die of a heart attack airing up after a flat in this 100 degree heat. What's your preference - co2 cartridges or an electric pump? Which one?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I used to pack a little bicycle hand pump for long trips because it is light and small - but I think I'll die of a heart attack airing up after a flat in this 100 degree heat. What's your preference - co2 cartridges or an electric pump? Which one?
Go for the pump there are some good ones that air up really quickly, you might want to still carry a couple of co2 bullets if you run a tire off the rim they will pop it back on. If you just rely on the co2 you will need a lot of them for a rear.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ive been lucky so far, Have done about 10k of touring on my AT since I got it at the start of last year, and still no punctures.
I have been carrying a small plastic bicycle pump with me. Its a cheap and small insurance policy.
Am about to embark on another tour offroad and was thinking more about punctures etc.. and what I would do to get out of them.
I have a tin of foam reflator that should get me out of the **** if the hole is not big and I can find whatever made it and remove it.
But to date no experience with flats in the middle of nowhere. But I know they will come.

I did a small experiment for me own benefit the other day:
I let the back down to 1bar and reflated it with the bicycle pump.
It took me 3 min of pumping (with a bit of a break in the middle) to get it back to 2.5bar

I expected more sweating and effort actually.

On this next trip I am going with a friend and we will share tyre irons. I will pack spare tubes and reflate with the hand pump if it comes to it.
I figure that I will never be far from civilization and at worst I can get it to a stage I can limp to a service station and fill it up propoerly.

Not really what the question was but thought I would share anyway

1 - 5 of 5 Posts