1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
823 Posts
That's an interesting idea. If it works to sell motorcycles then I'm sure they'll try it.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Meanwhile, it might also sell more manufacturer and dealership swag as browsers socialize around the machines. Just need to get back into the basic concept of socializing. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
1,080 Posts
Meanwhile, it might also sell more manufacturer and dealership swag as browsers socialize around the machines. Just need to get back into the basic concept of socializing. :rolleyes:
Well it works on me..
I really really really want that ATAS in the front. Lol and I didn’t even have any coffee :coffee::unsure:

·
Registered
58 Posts
This sounds a lot like what motorcycle dealerships used to be like - a place to go and hang out and meet with your friends and talk bikes etc. I used to work as a mechanic in a dealership back in the mid 1970's. It was a place where everyone who raced, rode and touring and dirt riders congregated. The shop owner was a rider who was part of the local motorcycle club and would organize rides both offroad and tours. The shop sponsored a lot of racer with discounts etc. on parts. There was a great feeling of comraderie and much laughter. I really miss those days. I just wonder if this is something that can be planned and implemented or if it is something that happens because of shared interests of the shop owners and employees.

Dan

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think that the demise of such shops came about because of a couple of things. One was that fewer people got into riding as riding areas disappeared and became over-regulated and the industry itself became over-regulated which drives up costs and makes it more costly for a dealership to operate. The culture also changed and it seems that fewer young people are drawn to the adventure and self reliant lifestyle that riding motorcycles offers. The profit on bikes became leaner and again regulatory issues with wages and insurance made the smaller businesses unviable. In order to survive dealerships had to become larger with several brand offerings to have enough volume to pay the rising costs. These larger multi-brand dealerships have more of a corporate structure and have become more numbers driven and more impersonal. The days of the small mom and pop dealerships are gone I'm afraid.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Looks like the Triumph dealership in Detroit - one of my favorite places to visit. If you're close, I highly recommend it. The pool table in the back an especially nice touch.

·
Registered
823 Posts
There's a local bicycle shop that looks just like this. There's a cafe in the building next door but it's open concept. People come in on their bikes for parts, gear, clothing and to hang out for a bite to eat and to chat. There's a local pathway system about a block away. Seems to be working really well for them.

This sounds a lot like what motorcycle dealerships used to be like - a place to go and hang out and meet with your friends and talk bikes etc. I used to work as a mechanic in a dealership back in the mid 1970's. It was a place where everyone who raced, rode and touring and dirt riders congregated. The shop owner was a rider who was part of the local motorcycle club and would organize rides both offroad and tours. The shop sponsored a lot of racer with discounts etc. on parts. There was a great feeling of comraderie and much laughter. I really miss those days. I just wonder if this is something that can be planned and implemented or if it is something that happens because of shared interests of the shop owners and employees.

Dan

·
Registered
135 Posts
I suspect it will simply add a fair few % to the price of bikes, part and clothing/accessories.
BMW do this, dealerships have to stay on top of the 'look' of the dealership. It does not come cheap. I'm happy with there being a coffee machine and to stand chatting to like minded, but skip the poncy tables, chairs and expensive clutter.
What bike manufacturers and dealers really need to do is to attract a younger demographic into biking (No idea what it is like across the pond but in the UK biking is likely to be dead within 25 years....as most of us bikers are well past 40.)
IMHO

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I suspect it will simply add a fair few % to the price of bikes, part and clothing/accessories.
BMW do this, dealerships have to stay on top of the 'look' of the dealership. It does not come cheap. I'm happy with there being a coffee machine and to stand chatting to like minded, but skip the poncy tables, chairs and expensive clutter.
What bike manufacturers and dealers really need to do is to attract a younger demographic into biking (No idea what it is like across the pond but in the UK biking is likely to be dead within 25 years....as most of us bikers are well past 40.)
IMHO
Sadly, realistic. 💀

·
Registered
38 Posts
IMHO
We are seeing that in Canada. I had no idea it was that bad in the UK. You have a lot of smaller displacement bikes in the system compare to here which should in theory supply new riders with low cost used bikes. Smaller bikes are showing up in our market but it may not be enough. Basic insurance for a small bike in Canada is as expensive as for a larger displacement ride. Add in not being able to ride for four months per year due to snow and ice. ATTGAT attitudes want to dictate full motorcycle specific protective gear before even riding and some provincial governments require mandatory rider safety training. Safety Course( $400 +), boots ($100-$300), riding pants ($200 +), motorcycle jacket ($300 +), gloves ($60 +), helmet ($125 up to $1000), basic insurance ($1000+), full coverage for motorcycle for new rider if chosen is much higher than basic. Add all that up and then add in the cost of the actual motorcycle and a car starts to become much more affordable. Millennials don't seem to have much interest in vehicle ownership and motorcycles specifically.

Europe and Asia seem to have a large abundance of smaller motorcycles and scooters on the road. In North America that doesn't happen. Many people are pushing new riders to avoid small displacement bikes and go directly to 600cc or larger units. Not a good move in my opinion. If motorcycles are to continue we need a solution to get new riders on the road. Hopefully someone finds the solution.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I get why youngsters don't want a bike...the cost part is a huge factor as you outline. When I started riding in 1982 I had just started work at 16. Now most kids in the UK don't look at work until 18 and for half it is 21 or 22yrs. I could buy a bike, cheap helmet and jacket and be away for about 1/3 the price of a cheap car. Now I can buy a decent cheap car and insurance for less than a bike, a basic test and the kit. So why would I want to get wet and ride a low powered bike rather than listen to my cassette recorder in my warm dry car. (they still do cassette tapes right ?)
Factor in the demise of the internal combustion engine and the fact that for many of the youth of today, a nice phone and gym membership is more important than their own transport.
A changing world

·
Super Moderator
1,080 Posts
I get why youngsters don't want a bike...the cost part is a huge factor as you outline. When I started riding in 1982 I had just started work at 16. Now most kids in the UK don't look at work until 18 and for half it is 21 or 22yrs. I could buy a bike, cheap helmet and jacket and be away for about 1/3 the price of a cheap car. Now I can buy a decent cheap car and insurance for less than a bike, a basic test and the kit. So why would I want to get wet and ride a low powered bike rather than listen to my cassette recorder in my warm dry car. (they still do cassette tapes right ?)
Factor in the demise of the internal combustion engine and the fact that for many of the youth of today, a nice phone and gym membership is more important than their own transport.
A changing world
Back in ancient times - 1980’s B.I.
( Before Internet ).

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Triumph has used this marketing tool for at least 15 years. They ask to 'Be Part of the Team'....join the bandwagon or loose the brand.....Constant upgrades to feed the Tourist Trap....
Indeed a nice place to visit, but always dark and black seems to be the focus...

·
Super Moderator
1,080 Posts
Triumph has used this marketing tool for at least 15 years. They ask to 'Be Part of the Team'....join the bandwagon or loose the brand.....Constant upgrades to feed the Tourist Trap....
Indeed a nice place to visit, but always dark and black seems to be the focus...
Luke; come to the dark side (we have milk and cookies)...

anything to get you to let your guard down then...... 💥 BAM!! You got a new bike, yea get you all hyped up on caffeine, you’ll be signing your soul away to the devil with a smile on your face... And end up with 8 bikes in your garage.... Wait! I make that sound like it’s a bad thing, who wouldn’t want a garage full of bikes...

·
Registered
38 Posts
you’ll be signing your soul away to the devil with a smile on your face... And end up with 8 bikes in your garage.... Wait! I make that sound like it’s a bad thing, who wouldn’t want a garage full of bikes...
My wife. She supports me riding, but one machine at a time. Must be to make sure I wear it out before the next one enters the garage. If I had a fleet of bikes the budget would suffer to the extreme.

·
Super Moderator
1,080 Posts
My wife. She supports me riding, but one machine at a time. Must be to make sure I wear it out before the next one enters the garage. If I had a fleet of bikes the budget would suffer to the extreme.
Wait I thought we were “dreaming “ here not a nightmare...just kidding
LOL mines the same, but just till I want a new one (don’t have to wear mine out)
ooh ! Do you get the “rolling eyes” and “what another part for your motorcycle “ from her too?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts