Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my UK manual bike has developed the 'cold start' problem after 3600 miles. although there has been a thread already on here, i could not find an explanation and any work that was done to remedy the issue.

has it been sorted satisfactorily on affected bikes ?

the video is not my bike but was posted on here back in April i think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecdu9_0JFUg

·
Registered
20 Posts
my AT was stalled some months ago with this problem and the shop changed under warranty the start/stop switch. The problem has reappeared last week, so the switch was not the cause. I rather think of an ignition problem, because giving gas eventually helps in starting the machine.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It seems the AT is cold blooded. The idle on mine was fluctuating and starting took a try or two. I have found that the booster plug seemed to solve this issue. It is still cold blooded but starts even though a tad hard. Last week I was able to start in temps of 35f with little issue.

I know it has been said that the booster plug is just snake oil but if it helps then I say it works.

·
Registered
166 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,
apperantly it is not a cold start problem. It is a defect in the start/stop switch. Keep pressing the start switch and the engine will run without problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I also had this problem. The mechanic told me to let the computer go through its check procedure ie the dash lights up , before pressing the start button. No problems since. He likened it to a new car with a push button start. It will not engage starter motor till startup procedure is complete

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I always wait til bike has gone thru priming procedure but had the issue. It is the switch.
Solved at the moment by a clean out of switch and using start/kill switch to stop the engine but it will return I'm sure but by then I expect so many reports of this that Honda will have a replacement available.
Trying to cut corners on wheels, switches etc have been a false economy on this and many other manufacturers models ( I've come from BMW ) as replacing parts must cost more than getting it right first time even at a slightly higher cost.
Love the bike though, best I've owned in over 35 years of bike ownership.

·
Registered
112 Posts
switch

my UK manual bike has developed the 'cold start' problem after 3600 miles. although there has been a thread already on here, i could not find an explanation and any work that was done to remedy the issue.

has it been sorted satisfactorily on affected bikes ?

the video is not my bike but was posted on here back in April i think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecdu9_0JFUg
its 100% start stop switch my dealer replaced loads of sensors and other electronics on advice of Honda and sods law it would never play up at the dealers then the last time i took it , it would not keep running they replaced the switch gear and fingers crossed its been good since then , triumphs are having exactly the same issue with the dual start stop kill switches , the old uns lasted for decades

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had the same starting issues after about 5000 miles.
Only from cold - took up to six tries to get it started.

Read all the various threads on her ans decided to strip down the switch to clean it.

Once in I chickened out of actually stripping the switch as it looks to be a pretty well sealed unit.
So, having bought the dialectic grease I decided just to pack the switch with it and reassembled.

That was some six weeks ago and it has worked - starts on the switch every time - first time.
Just wait for the pump to stop building pressure and hit the start button - that's it.
For the 10 minutes work it has to be worth a try before anything else.

Z

1 - 10 of 10 Posts