Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:grin2:
And well chuffed I am too. After what seemed like forever (Dec 17 order). It looks amazing in the 30th Anniversary colours, Dct is absolutely fab, suspension is much better than the standard AT, handles great and sounds fantastic (I liked the standard one I test road, but the 18 year bikes are even better sounding). Auto blip on down change is a nice feature with the new sound track, but doesn’t appear to do it in all modes or below about 2250rpm (manual gear changes from 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st, not a definitive opinion, I may be Wrong).

Screen is not that good on first impressions, lots of buffeting with my shoei hornet adv helmet, so I took the peak off, but I did try to block some of the air coming up through the fork area with my hand and it made quite a difference, so I may be able to get a big improvement soon. The oem spoiler and deflectors may improve this aswell fingers crossed.

New dash looks nice and generally performed well, looks nice when it’s hit by the sun, but there is a fair bit of glare sometimes, I’m undecided at the mo (only done about 120 miles today), I think they could have had an adjustment in the menu, that allowed us to choose either a black background and light coloured digits or a light background and black digits, maybe this could be a software update later. I’m disappointed they did away with the big green indicators on the previous dash, you now get little green arrows instead, but you can’t accidentally leave them on anymore, as they auto cancel after about 8-9 flashes. Running it in on sport mode two, manual mode, on varied types of roads and I’m getting about 56mpg (uk) on the computer, that was with oem panniers fitted. It’s a bit early to be looking at mpg, so I won’t bother checking this again until it’s run in and then I’ll see what it does with and without panniers (I use panniers a lot on my bikes).

The ATAS seat is fantastic, very comfortable, feels reasonably soft but well supportive, probably the best oem seat I’ve ever had on a bike and I’ve had a fair few bikes in my time :grin2:, but i’ll See how I feel after I’ve done a few thousand miles on it. I had it on the high setting and was on the balls of my feet (5’ 11”, 32” inseam), but I’m going to try the lower setting next time, to see if it feels better with the high screen. The riding position is superb, feels very natural and comfortable to me and the handle bars are spot on, also feels about right when standing up, but I just tried this out for a very short time, so not a 100% on that at the mo. The wider fuel tank felt fine, not too wide or narrow, although for standing Offroad the narrower AT tank will always be better, but I thought it was fine for me.
Heated grips.....
Are not fantastic, I’ve had better, but I ride most the time with unlined gloves, so they were ok for me (although it wasn’t that cold, 8° C), level 5 did get reasonably hot and I rode with them set on level 2 get to give a warm feeling whilst riding, but I’ll leave final judgement to a colder day.

Overall I’m well chuffed with my ATAS :grin2:, it’s everything I’d hoped for and more, I’ve got a few mods to fit, oem spoilers, air deflectors and Denali D2’s. Just got to find time to do that soon. Here’s a pic of two ATAS’s out exploring North Wessex Downs.

Attachments

·
Registered
979 Posts
Great looking bike. Sounds like you got what you've been waiting for. Nice twin for your twin in the photo, too. :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
The other bike in the photo is my bike, :grin2: I can only echo whatt Hovis has said, it’s exceeded my expectations in almost every area, and I really love the 3rd gen dct with its auto blip. The only thing that I’m slightly disappointed with, is the new dash. It looks lovely when sunlight is shining on it, but when there’s no bright sun on it, it looks dull and a lot of reflections. The night illumination is nice, but I think Honda could’ve done better with the dash. However, it’s not a deal breaker, it is what it is and it doesn’t detract from the overall package of the bike. As for buffeting, didn’t find it too bad, but I’m wearing a Shoei GT Air, so that probably makes a difference, compared to Hovis’s Shoei Hornet. I’m looking forward to fitting the wind deflector and spoiler kit, to see how this has an effect on turbulence.

Early days, but I’m over the moon with the ATAS. :grin2:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Are you the same guy that posted up on UKGSer ??

I found a fair bit of buffeting on a test ride yesterday. also wearing a shoei adv helmet but nothing that I couldn't over come. Did you get the panniers as part of the deal or how much extra were they ?? What is this oem spoiler you talk of ?>

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am Shedracer on the other forum.

The OEM spoiler and deflector kits, are similar rubber deflectors that the previous bike had, but larger and the plastic spoilers attached to the fairing, either side of the screen. They are not too expensive, so I thought it was worth investigating what improvements they might give. Hoping to fit them on my rest day, this Sunday, so will keep you posted on their impact on turbulence, good or bad!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Congratulation on a beautiful bike. Cant wait to get mine ;-). Probably nt till late April May.

Have already ordered Givi Airflow screen and adjustable bracket.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts