Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody fitted the comfort pillion pegs ?
If you have how, are they - are they worth the purchase ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I installed them on someone else's bike and they look significantly more comfortable than the stock ones. Interestingly I believe they are identical to the standard passenger pegs on the Honda Varadero.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi ATDCT,

Cheers for feedback - can you post an image of them installed ?
Asking as I've been told the R/H peg cannot fold up to its intended vertical position.
Is this your experience on installation ?

If it was, did you alter anything to ensure the peg folded up correctly to where spring mech holds the peg vertical, for when pegs are not in use.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hullo ATDCT ...or anyone else ?

Surely there must be more than one person who has fitted these comfort pegs...
And so can help with information on above queries, not to mention a few images !?

If you have fitted these pegs please share some insight.

Cheers

·
Registered
22 Posts
I fitted them to our bike.
The right side peg does need to be modified to "click" into place.
I simply filed off the offending corner of aluminum and rubber until it closed correctly.
Only took about 10 minutes to sort it.
the pegs are more comfortable for the wife and of course make it safer to get on and off on wet days.
As an aside the NZ dealer price was almost twice that of the E bay sourced Honda pegs I bought and took only one week to arrive. The dealer told me it would be 6 to 8 weeks for delivery.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The right peg does fold up just not as high as the left because it
would touch the guard that protects the passengers foot from the exhaust. The kit includes a new detent plate that creates the new positioning. I can take a pic and post it tomorrow.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
....The kit includes a new detent plate that creates the new positioning. I can take a pic and post it tomorrow.
Thanks Barry and also ATDCT - a piccie of the new plate would be grand.

Just checking ATDCT - are you saying there was a specific new modified heel plate supplied with the pegs on purchase ? Also, I know I'll know when I see the image, but does this allow the peg to come up to it's full folded position without alteration to the peg itself ?

Cheers

Yer Gaz

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'll be watching this with interest as I take my fiancée pillion on weekend trips and longer - and the Vara was the most comfortable bike she's ever been on, so I'm quietly dreading what she makes of the pillion seat on the AT....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks Barry and also ATDCT - a piccie of the new plate would be grand.

Just checking ATDCT - are you saying there was a specific new modified heel plate supplied with the pegs on purchase ? Also, I know I'll know when I see the image, but does this allow the peg to come up to it's full folded position without alteration to the peg itself ?

Cheers

Yer Gaz
No there is no new heel plate. The peg kit comes with a new detent that stops the peg from folding all the way up so it doesn't contact the heel plate. I didn't make it in to the shop today to take the pic but i will get it tomorrow. The peg does go almost all the way up its maybe 10 degrees shy of where it was before. I will take the pic tom.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll be watching this with interest as I take my fiancée pillion on weekend trips and longer - and the Vara was the most comfortable bike she's ever been on, so I'm quietly dreading what she makes of the pillion seat on the AT....
Hah Big Yin... tell yer ither half to toughen up. :wink2:
As in my good lady has been all over Europe on the back of a Hornet 919 !
So 'The Bat' will be positively deluxe by comparison. :grin2:

But seriously enjoy - sure you'll baith be fine.

Thanks ATDCT also and look forward to the pic, but Barry's fix appears to be present only solution.
As for me, a half way up or even 2/3rds folded pillion peg holds no appeal.
Awaiting feedback from Honda on why not designed and tested to operate correctly from outset.

Take the bottom hex head fixing out ATDCT for the heel plate.
Then fold up your pillion peg and you will clearly feel the true detent...
Your peg will then fold up and click just before vertical as it was designed to (for a different bike).

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm quietly dreading what she makes of the pillion seat on the AT....
She might be pleasantly surprised. Mine says the AT is the most comfy pillion she's been on. The height of the AT makes for a 'knee-relaxed' pillion sitting position and the big grab handles plus reasonably generous seat size create a nice secure perch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The Mrs complains that these standard pillion pegs damage the heels on her boots so my solution is both inexpensive and I believe, looks pretty tidy too. Two black rubber BMX bicycle grips, cut to length and slipped over, make a pretty snug fit, fold away perfectly, and add grip and vibration absorbtion. All for $4

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is what it looks like :)
Hi Dave CT,

Lateral thinking there buddy - an tae grand effect.
May end up back there, but good lady also appreciates the flatness of the 'Comfort Pillion Pegs'.

To explain for us - this is when riding of course, but more notably when getting on and off.
As in, when rotating ball of left foot on the peg just as she is swinging right leg over.
The flatness of the peg helps then for balance and to better enable body rotating.
This is particularly the case, when there's a big tail pack to lift right leg over.
She tells me; "Its the little things that matter." - not sure if that's a positive comment. :wink2:

Cheers

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cheers ATDCT,

Thanks for the images, though think Barry has a solution that works for a vertical folded peg.
But hopefully there is a better solution yet to be seen/revealed.

Cheers tae all respondents - aw ra best (all the best). :)

Disnae Moose Aboot

·
Registered
295 Posts
Have you got a part number for the kit? Does anyone know if the Varadaro rear pegs are the same and fit? Ideally I would be looing for an adjustable peg to give her slightly more leg room.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts