Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love the bike, hate the seat. At 6', 200lbs and 61 yrs. old and flat butt, its taking all the fun out of my street rides. I saw previous posts on both the Seat Concepts seat and the Corbin seat, but neither had any real time on them. Looking for any and all input/follow up before making the decision. Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sargeant also has out a newly released seat, which you can buy rider piece or it and the pillion seat, and can also add heat I believe. it is brand new, so I don't think there will be any reports out yet. I had on a sergeant on my '08 KLR that the previous owner installed. Thought "I don't need this seat, took it off and replaced with the original, and learned in one 2-3 hour ride that I in fact did need it. Totally changed the bike for me, so that I could literally ride or many hours without discomfort. Similar to you, I'm 6.1, about 225 lbs and 66 yrs, and I also am finding the AT seat less than ideal, so am looking for options. I'm going to consider Sargeant, just based on my past experience, but will wait until I can find some reviews. As a northern, seasonal rider, I'll likely wait til spring to buy a solution. I'm my case the optional heated seat is very interesting to me. have it on my Vic Vision tourer, and I find it great, even when riding down near 32F temperatures, it keeps my a$$ and ALSO my back muscles warm and loose

·
Registered
148 Posts
I had Sargent on my former GS, super comfortable. Should get my Sargent for AT today, one of the first in Europe. A short review will follow mext weekend.

Mid Septembrr I'll fo a longer trip and will see how it performs 12 hour days in a row. With GS and Sargent had never any problems riding 12 hrs< days in a row.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Look forward to hearing your thoughts on it in comparison to the stocker. Did you buy both pieces, and did you get the heat option, If so I'd also be interested in hearing re the heat once it is cooled off enough to test that.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I've the Sargent seat ordered, delivery near the end of September....allegedly. If it's as good as the Sargent I had on my 12GS I'll be very pleased.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hello....

I've been using concept seats for almost a yr now, still good

With the original seat, I couldn't ride for more than a few hours without pain and the seat would make you move forward causing discomfort
SC is a little more wider and lower in the back so you don't move forward

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a Corbin, for about 1,000 miles now. I really like it. Not so much sliding forward and quite a bit more comfy than the factory seat. It is not a Russel Day Long comfortable, but certainly a worthwhile improvement over the factory seat. Not sorry I bought it at all, very happy.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Seat Concepts on mine it's been on the bike for a few months now and I think it's great value for the money. The rear portion is wider with more support and the forward slope is gone which was my biggest complaint with the stock seat. I had a Corbin on a previous bike and I'll admit the Corbin was better as it had a larger seating surface and more support but I didn't want to spend Corbin money this time around. Seat Concepts seat with Moto-Skiveez underwear and I was comfortable doing some 500 mile days on the big last trip.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Tried a low cost gel pad (€49) from Louis.eu on my recent 2-Day 1000 Km trip, it probably gave me an extra couple of hours on a day and did help but was not a total solution, Moto-Skiveez next for me too before going down the full seat route.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I've tried both cycling shorts and Moto Skiveez on long days in the saddle. They help, but only by putting off the discomfort by a small margin. Still, better than nothing.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just got my Sargent seat last week, unfortunately had time for jus a short, 2 ½ hrs testride on weekend. I got only front seat, standard height, without heating.

The quality, finnish, shape and foam stiffnes are about the same as they were on the Sargent of my former F 1200 GS, also just perfect fit to my butt. The foam of Sargent is remarkably stiffer than Honda OEM stadard height seat. For me, that helps a lot. Since Honda seat is too soft, after about two hours riding the ischios will sink into foam resulting the soft tissue between them carrying too much of my weight, not comfortable... The foam of Sargent is stiffer and much higher quality so it will maintain its stiffnes the same also during long rides. The result of that is that ischios bones will take the most of my weight resulting no pain to crotch. The Sargent does the same on Honda Africa Twin just like it did on R 1200 GS. If you are suffering pain on crotch during long rides, my advise is rather look for stiffer saddle, not softer saddle/Airhawk/gel...

The height of Sargent standard seat is about the same than Honda standard seat, but since the Sargent is a bit wider, and the top side edges a bit sharper, it may be little bit more difficult to reach ground if you have short legs. If you have short legs and like to ride the seat in high position, the edges (that aren't as round as Honda seat edges) may cause a bit pressure to the inside of your tigths. The Sargent has a bit wider and longer even surface than Honda seat, so you have more freedom for changing position. The surface does hardly not lean forward, so it's very easy to stay sitting in chosen position. The standard CarbonFX -farbric is little bit more slippery than Hondas fabric, but not bad. And since the seat does not lean forward, I didn't felt it neccessary to order the Performance Plus -seat, the fabric of which may have more friction.

On R 1200 GS the front low edges of the Sargent seat caused pressure to the inside my legs when driwing standing on pegs. That's not a problem on Honda, the Sargent seats just fits as good as OEM seat, causing no pressure poins riding either sitting or standing.

All in all, I'm very happy. After two weeks it will be a longer test with pictures.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have put about 500 miles on my new sargent seat, I think there is still to much forward slope if your my size 6' 2" 250lbs. there is not enough depression for the tush which also make you slide forward. I wanted this seat to work but I think it will be returned and go back to a Russell that I have had many of!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Seat Concepts kit with front foam and F&R cover on mine was a HUGE improvement over the stock seat which had me sliding forward. It's also a little wider which is nice. Easy to do yourself like I did or SC will sell you the complete seat.

Sorry I'm not permitted to post images or I'd include a few pics.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just ordered a dual high corbin with heat and standard backrest for my tailgunner.
Ordered it without a welt covered in (GASP) baby alligator. Here's a pic from Corbin's configuration generator that let's you see what your order will look like.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
I can't really argue with you on that. But I chose function over form, and the detachable adjustable backrest was another point that helped me decide. I did ask if I could order it without the diamond tuck and roll stitching and was told it would void the warranty. ..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts