Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Longtime honda street-rider, have had CBR's, 919, and VFR800. Been away for the past 2 yrs with Ducati Monster. Recently purchased the kiddos some toys, CRF50, and Polaris 90. Also have a Honda Foreman 500, so like the good family man I am, I selflessly thought, I should get a dual sport bike, so I can enjoy some trail riding with the fam! -Mom would be on the foreman. Wanted to get back with Honda so I went with the CRF250L. Didn't want to go with the carb'd and dated 650xl, though I know it is tried an true. Knew the 250l would be low on power, but thought it would be good to cut my teeth on. Well, I pretty much do not want to commute on it, highways are laborious with the lack of oomph, and the way the wind blows the bike around, and the biggy, it is uncomfy. I am 6'5, my legs are almost parallel to the ground, not real relaxed and tough to squeeze tank when getting blasted by the wind. -looked at lowering pegs, but options are limited. The windshield that came with the 250l was pushing around the front end to much in the wind. Prior to my purchase I thought i would change the gearing and add a full exhaust to help, but wondering if that $1000 would better put elsewhere.

So, I am considering the AT. This post is as much for me to verbalize, but input would help too. I am pretty set on the DCT. Just sort of intrigued with it, and since the Duc will be in the garage, I will have the manual bike. Figured the DCT would be fun, and might help me with my lack of experience in the dirt. I see I will probably need a taller windscreen. Shop 2 hours away has the color and DCT combo I would like, $11,799, would like to buy local, but they want the MSRP, $13,xxx. The bike loan from CU said the value was $12,815, so the asking price seems pretty high even though it is MSRP.

So, thoughts? Anyone come from a CRF250L, anyone 6'5 and digging the AT? I am really wanting a relaxed bike that can go off-road,i would more than likely be 70% street 30% off road at best.

Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have both. The CRF250L for smaller trails, and fire roads. I take it camping often, and fishing too. Anywhere I don't have to get on a highway to ride. The 250 is just not comfortable at 65mph. Brilliant on the fire roads, on gravel, and small trails. The Africa Twin is for longer trips, overnighters, and even longer camping trips, and carrying much more stuff. I'm not selling either one...love them both.

·
Registered
480 Posts
At your height would it be worth waiting for the AT Adventure Sport, it is taller than the regular AT? It has hit the dealers in the UK so maybe just around the corner for you too?

Reactions: XLGeorge

·
Registered
976 Posts
I have a CRF250L and love it. I'm 6'1" and it's not a perfect fit but it's really good. It's lighter, easier to pick up and quite capable on trails. I use it for rougher stuff and the AT for gravel roads and tours. They are good bookends in my opinion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Longtime honda street-rider, have had CBR's, 919, and VFR800. Been away for the past 2 yrs with Ducati Monster. Recently purchased the kiddos some toys, CRF50, and Polaris 90. Also have a Honda Foreman 500, so like the good family man I am, I selflessly thought, I should get a dual sport bike, so I can enjoy some trail riding with the fam! -Mom would be on the foreman. Wanted to get back with Honda so I went with the CRF250L. Didn't want to go with the carb'd and dated 650xl, though I know it is tried an true. Knew the 250l would be low on power, but thought it would be good to cut my teeth on. Well, I pretty much do not want to commute on it, highways are laborious with the lack of oomph, and the way the wind blows the bike around, and the biggy, it is uncomfy. I am 6'5, my legs are almost parallel to the ground, not real relaxed and tough to squeeze tank when getting blasted by the wind. -looked at lowering pegs, but options are limited. The windshield that came with the 250l was pushing around the front end to much in the wind. Prior to my purchase I thought i would change the gearing and add a full exhaust to help, but wondering if that $1000 would better put elsewhere.

So, I am considering the AT. This post is as much for me to verbalize, but input would help too. I am pretty set on the DCT. Just sort of intrigued with it, and since the Duc will be in the garage, I will have the manual bike. Figured the DCT would be fun, and might help me with my lack of experience in the dirt. I see I will probably need a taller windscreen. Shop 2 hours away has the color and DCT combo I would like, $11,799, would like to buy local, but they want the MSRP, $13,xxx. The bike loan from CU said the value was $12,815, so the asking price seems pretty high even though it is MSRP.

So, thoughts? Anyone come from a CRF250L, anyone 6'5 and digging the AT? I am really wanting a relaxed bike that can go off-road,i would more than likely be 70% street 30% off road at best.

Thanks!

I have had to AT 2017 DCT for six months now, and love it. I came from a 2012 BMW R1200 GSA with all the panniers, then onto a liquid cooled 2013 BMW R1200 GSA before the AT. The AT is a very relaxed bike, and I do about 80% street and 20% dirt. Off road it is definitely easier to ride than either of my former bikes.

I’m 6’2” so I raised the handlebars 1.5”, put on Knight pegs which dropped them down a little but certainly added foot room. I left the seat alone for now, as it is so much better than my previous bikes.

The biggest reason for me writing a response is the question of buying local or not. There’s a BMW dealer 7 miles from my house. I have purchased two used bikes from them in the past, for my son. Got an ok, but not great deal from them.

When it came time to purchase my GSA from them, they wouldn’t budge of MSRP. At the I was trading in my 2007 HD Electra Glide. They asked to let the shop take a look at it. I said sure, but needed to make an appointment in an hour. They said sure, and I took the GSA for a 20 demo ride.

When I got back, they had my HD of the lift, exhaust pipes pulled off, bags off, seat and tank off. Crazy. They had to loan me a bike to make my appointment. When I got back, the shop manager and the salesman double teamed me, picking the HD apart. Basically they wanted me to give it to them. I got the HD back together and left. Pissed.

I got online, found a dealership in Long Beach, they gave me $2500 for my HD trade and took $1000 off the new GSA. A phone call with the sales gal, and the deal was made. I rode down the following weekend on my HD and drove my new GSA back. Outstanding dealership there.

The next GS I purchased was by accident. My son is stationed in San Diego, and I hauled his BMW down to him. While visiting, we went the the San Diego BMW dealership, so he could chat with the parts and service people there. For some reason, that dealership had 10-13 different bikes that were one to three years old with 200-600 miles on them. I bought a LC R1200gs, with 3year warranty, for $9,000 off MSRP. I found out later, it was one of the bikes they lend to magazines for review. I had mended some fences with my local dealer, so I called manager and told him about the deal, prior to signing it. I asked if he would come down to $500 over cost, and he said he couldn’t. So there was my answer.

With my AT I was fortunate, I’ve been doing business with the local Honda dealer for 35 years. Great dealership and will always give a good price.

The reason for the long rant, is that I’ve had problems with buying BMW’s and Ford pickups from local dealerships. Even when I show the local dealerships the paperwork from outside dealers, they say it’s not correct, or something else is different.

My thoughts are you the local boys first swing, but if they don’t sharpen their pencils, move on to someone that will.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm responding to mainly your height part of your question. I bought a used 16' AT last fall. I'm 6' 4" and for the high speed freeway to the off-road portion of my rides I wanted more wind protection. So I've added a couple of aftermarket windscreens seeking the wind protection "I preferred". I've ended up at the MRA Vario with the added top lip spoiler. I have much 'naked bike' experience and done fighting the wind at 50+ years old. Others don't complain about the stock setup. So, my suggestion, ride it and see how it works for you. For me it didn't.

My height and preference also led me to adding Fox Risers (posted eslewhere on here). I like to do a lot of standing off road and needed them to do so with correct posture for me.

I also have a lot off road experience with much smaller and lighter bikes. I ride fireroads and jeep trails with the AT and with my age, after all these years knowing my skill set and limits, would choose to not go on single track etc. with the AT. It's just too big and I'm not interested in trying to wrestle it out of sticky situations.

So my only concern for you is what type of off road your going to do with it as it seems you want to do so with the family. The bike is very capable off road, with a "good" off road rider. I will make no assumptions to your skill set and only mention this factor so you can make the best choice for you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, thankfully I have talked with the local dealer and they are willing to come pretty close, so I will stick with them, I like the owner and with not having to travel a few hours, the price difference is negligible.

He is going to call me with the demo model is prepped. It is sorted for winter right now. I guess now I am wondering if I will be able to use the AT on the trails I would like to take the fam. the kids are young, so we wouldn't do anything too rough. But I have 0 dirt experience.

Still teetering on whether or not to make the 250L work, without being too excited about the prospects of the AT/

The AT sports sounds interesting, not sure I want to pay that premium thought.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I have the adjustable footpegs ordered for the CRF250L. Last ditch effort to see if it is worth living with.

The dealer is prepping (from winter storage) both the DCT AT, and a used Triumph Explorer XC.

If I am totally honest with myself this bike will be used way more on the street, though my original basis for it was to do dirt stuff with the kiddos. -At 6 and 10, I dont imaging will do much crazy stuff yet. Anyone here take an AT on a dirt track?

I really want wind protection, cruiser comfort, and creature comforts. I know I can add heated seats and cruise to the AT, but that comes with the used Triumph along with storage. -I am hoping a test ride picks a clear winner, or at least eliminates the Explorer.

I want a bike that commute, keep me warmer than the Monster, and go off-road, a lot to ask ; )

1 - 8 of 8 Posts