Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Where has your Africa Twin Taken you?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
36 Posts

You wouldn't necessarily believe that the beautiful Scrambler would stack up to the AT, off-road. But these guys think it compares favorably to the off-road prowess of the AT.
I read that review and watched the video yesterday. Pretty amazing. Well worth the read and watch! Thanks for posting, Chopperbob.

·
Super Moderator
6,109 Posts
I did watch the video too @Chopperbob and forgot I did. I can't really say one is better than the other, especially since I have not ridden that scrambler. However, I think the scrambler would be fun to ride and would appeal to certain riders just as the AT does to others. Since I do mostly on-road riding, the AT seems to handle that to my liking for long stints.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The Scrambler has always appealed to me. Love the looks. I like the specs on the current models (and the video was entertaining). However, I test rode one some years ago when the Triumph demo truck was at a local shop. All was fine until I found that the high pipes had burned a hole in my riding pants. Not saying this is normal, but neither can I say I'm a fan of that design.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Many reports of toasted legs while riding the Triumph. Also the fuel tank is pretty small. I like the bike though - it looks like a fun ride.

Dan

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did watch the video too @Chopperbob and forgot I did. I can't really say one is better than the other, especially since I have not ridden that scrambler. However, I think the scrambler would be fun to ride and would appeal to certain riders just as the AT does to others. Since I do mostly on-road riding, the AT seems to handle that to my liking for long stints.
Truthfully, if I was on the smaller side, I would've bought a Scrambler. But I need the legroom on the AT. It is sooo comfortable on long trips.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Got to ride with a fella last summer who had one. It was certainly a gorgeous bike. I just loved the look of it. He wasn't the best rider and couldn't keep up with me on my AT so I definitely don't think it's the bikes fault. He ended up going home early because the bike was spewing brake fluid out of the master cylinder.... All over him and the tank.

While I lusted over it in pictures and on the forums, seeing it in the flesh and trying to picture it loaded with luggage..... It's not for me. If I were in the market for a scrambler, one that was not practical to be touring on, I'd be looking for something smaller and lighter. My needle got pretty stuck on that bike and it was nice to put all the what ifs to rest.

The AT continues to be the perfect bike for me at this time. My love affair with it continues and I'm not looking forward to the day I deem it no longer reliable. That triumph is definitely beautiful tho. It's a work of art.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts