Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm glad I decided not get the BMW.......

Consumer Reports Reliability by Brand Brand Percent Failed
Published on April 7, 2015

Yamaha/Star 11%
Suzuki 12%
Honda 12%
Kawasaki 15%
Victory 17%
Harley-Davidson 26%
Triumph 29%
Ducati 33%
BMW 40%
Can-Am 42%

·
Registered
102 Posts
I notice KTM is not on the list......It's only anecdotal, but the fuel pump crapped out of the 1190 r ON MY TESTRIDE......The dealer had to send a trailer for the bike and I. Needless to say, that sold me on the Africa Twin. It was down to those two.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I notice KTM is not on the list......It's only anecdotal, but the fuel pump crapped out of the 1190 r ON MY TESTRIDE......The dealer had to send a trailer for the bike and I. Needless to say, that sold me on the Africa Twin. It was down to those two.
I had similar fears when I bought my 2015 KTM 1290 SA. It has had a couple of recalls over the last two years for pretty inconsequential issues, mostly about zip tying wires so they don't abrade. The high beam switch was replaced under warranty when it became intermittent. Otherwise, perfect over 13,000+ miles. I would have to say that the Super Adventure is probably the single most enjoyable motorcycle I have ever owned. It is truly awesome in many ways. I think I am nearing 50 bikes in my lifetime, so I have a decent base to work from.

Only 3000 miles so far on my AT. I do very much like the AT, but am concerned about the false neutrals it has between 5th and 6th. Other than that, no issues yet. Lovely bike, but it doesn't inspire the passion or grins that the KTM does.

We will see how this year is as I pile some miles on the Africa Twin. Heated grips, GPS and we are ready to go!

Rob

·
Registered
46 Posts
Me thinks that honda may be going to the same naughty step that bmw are on w.r.t the wheels/spokes corrosion issue and the switchgear malfunctioning.....not the quality i expected from honda!!!

·
Registered
295 Posts
No offense to the OP...

Without any context these numbers are meaningless. What is their definition of "Failed"? Failed to start? Failed to deliver a smile on the rider's face? Failed to do what exactly? What was their sample size for each brand? Was it even/same number for each brand? What did they define as "reliability"? Does it start every time? How much time does it spend in the shop?

Maybe a link to where you got this might help us better put some context to this...

I'm glad I decided not get the BMW.......

Consumer Reports Reliability by Brand Brand Percent Failed
Published on April 7, 2015

Yamaha/Star 11%
Suzuki 12%
Honda 12%
Kawasaki 15%
Victory 17%
Harley-Davidson 26%
Triumph 29%
Ducati 33%
BMW 40%
Can-Am 42%