Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Nice video man. And good to see you're back on the bike!

Thanks!

Gary

Reactions: FarangMoto

·
Registered
32 Posts
Had an XR650L prior to the AT. I ran both the Conti TKC80's and Kenda K270's on it back to back. The Kendas were every bit as good as the Contis in all situations at a fraction of the price.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Good review. Pretty much sums up the TKC80. Having tried a number of different tyres and combinations, IMO the TKC80 is still the best all-round 50/50 for bikes like the AT. But yes, it does come at the cost of longevity. Going forward, I think I will be buying another set of rims purely for road tyres and keep the scratched and dented OEM rims for dedicated off-road rubber, precisely because of the limitations of a 50/50 compromise tyre.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I am finding my front TKC-80 downright cheap, but a rear would be much too expensive.
After more than 10,000 km my front TKC-80 looks like it has a decent amount of life left on it, despite a decent amount of those kms being on asphalt.
The way I ride, I'd probably have gone through 3 rears so far over the same amount of riding.

·
Registered
991 Posts
What was the longevity of the E10 tires on your bike?
I have a 15,000 kilometre journey and was going to use the E07 Dakar front and back (sitting in my garage) but I thought about the E10 as an alternative since I'll be doing sections of significant distance on gravel.

^^Yep, too expensive. For the money, I'd go back to e10 once these are done. But I'm now waiting for my Goldentyre GT723 to arrive.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I had the TKC80 on my RnineT UGS and hated them. They were noisy, vibrated and the rear melted like butter (barely 4000km and it had the profile of a car tire). I'm a huge fan of the Shinko 804/805. Better at everything (except for mud where the TKC80 will have a bit more lateral grip). Otherwise, it's just really better at everything else, while also being cheaper. I've probably gone through 6-7 sets on my Triumph Scrambler and AT, brilliant tires...
https://youtu.be/Ynen5Wcz9ZQ

1 - 9 of 9 Posts