Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking my AT from Australia to UK and thought it would be easy to change the dash to mph. However, the models sold in Australia and NZ do not seem to be able to switch to mph as they are a type II U or III U model. When I try to change the settings of the instruments it goes from the HISS setting straight to the subtraction trip and skips the kph to mph option.

Any ideas on how I can change this as I will need to do it for the registration in UK.

Chris.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Just review your maths. It's 1.609 to get from mph to kph (statute). The inverse is 0.622 mph/kph. I remember 1.6 & 0.6 to go back and forth. It works solid for MotoGP and F1.

100 kph is ~ 62 mph.

100 mph is ~ 160 kph.

See what I mean? Just know your sums and you'll be dangerous too.

·
Super Moderator
3,528 Posts
Some countries, like the U.S., and in particular, Oregon, require the gauges to show the official speed scale for the country of use. If it does not, then the bike cannot be imported. In the case of dual scales (like in steam-style dials), I think the primary country scale must be in dominant print.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just review your maths. It's 1.609 to get from mph to kph (statute). The inverse is 0.622 mph/kph. I remember 1.6 & 0.6 to go back and forth. It works solid for MotoGP and F1.

100 kph is ~ 62 mph.

100 mph is ~ 160 kph.

See what I mean? Just know your sums and you'll be dangerous too.
Yeah - I am not worried about what the speedo says, it's just that as I am importing it I will need to get it registered in UK and I won't be able to register the bike if the speedo is in kph. It has to be in mph for the UK as otherwise it will fail the inspection and I can't register it.

I looked for a used instrument cluster but not only are these expensive I will end up with the milage of the bike from which it came. Looks like this will be my only option. At least I will then have a kph speedo with 6,000 km on it I can sell back to someone else I suppose.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some countries, like the U.S., and in particular, Oregon, require the gauges to show the official speed scale for the country of use. If it does not, then the bike cannot be imported. In the case of dual scales (like in steam-style dials), I think the primary country scale must be in dominant print.
Yes - same for UK. I was looking at some cheapo gauges on eBay and this could be an option to get it registered. Would be a challenge wiring it in but I am sure it can be done.

The same instrument cluster is installed on all ATs but it must be programmed differently for Australia to stop it from being changed to mph. Any thoughts on someone who can access the firmware in the cluster? I will ask Honda when I am back in the UK but it's unlikely a request they get very often and I am sure they would rather sell me a new cluster for GBP 850!

·
Super Moderator
3,528 Posts
How about fitting an aftermarket gps Speedo to get it registered and then run the normal one .
Cheap on eBay.
If inspection knows enough to check for a "direct connection" to the bike to harvest ground speed, then that may not pass.

I friend of mine ran into this situation (different bike model) and had to buy a speedo cluster online to pass import inspection. The only good thing was the inspector said upfront do that and they will pass the bike (exhaust, tires, etc. passed already).

·
Registered
239 Posts
I looked for a used instrument cluster but not only are these expensive I will end up with the milage of the bike from which it came. Looks like this will be my only option. At least I will then have a kph speedo with 6,000 km on it I can sell back to someone else I suppose.
Is the odometer information stored in the instrument cluster or in the engine control unit? I am not sure for the Africa Twin but with some other vehicles the vehicle specific information is still displayed on a new instrument cluster as it is stored in the vehicle's computers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How about fitting an aftermarket gps Speedo to get it registered and then run the normal one .
Cheap on eBay.
I thought about this, but on looking up the rules for the inspection the use of GPS based speed measurement is explicitly excluded. There are cheap wheel sensor based mph speedos on eBay and am interested to hear if anyone has tried this with success. Will no doubt be a PITA to wire up but may be a way round it.

Oddly enough it seems that once registered the annual road worthy inspections (called MOT tests in UK) only seem to check a speedo is present and can be illuminated. Not the units in which it measures speed.

·
Super Moderator
3,528 Posts
I thought about this, but on looking up the rules for the inspection the use of GPS based speed measurement is explicitly excluded. There are cheap wheel sensor based mph speedos on eBay and am interested to hear if anyone has tried this with success. Will no doubt be a PITA to wire up but may be a way round it.

Oddly enough it seems that once registered the annual road worthy inspections (called MOT tests in UK) only seem to check a speedo is present and can be illuminated. Not the units in which it measures speed.
Maybe because the import inspection was already performed (and paid) by the original purchaser.

·
Registered
384 Posts

A lot of off road bikes use these as a dash I had one on my DRZ one wire to power and a sensor to front or back wheel very easy to install, you can also have other options but the speedo is real simple

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A lot of off road bikes use these as a dash I had one on my DRZ one wire to power and a sensor to front or back wheel very easy to install, you can also have other options but the speedo is real simple
I think this is going to be the way forward. Will look for a used Trail Tech unit on eBay or similar. Once all done I'll put up some pictures of the set up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts