Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm looking at being converted to the Africa Twin faith. I've been riding a long time now and currently own a Stelvio and a 390 Husaberg I had a long test ride on a new AFrica twin, thoughts on the ride being nice bike smooth enough power comfortable good brakes looks good too, however ! at the risk of being banned from this forum forever I felt that the Africa Twin had no soul ? I fully appreciate that the Stelvio is somewhat tractor like air cooled big v Twin clunky gearbox but every time I get off it I have a huge grin on my face. Could be that I'm missing the point of the Honda design ethic but wondered what you owners could tell me (as politely as possible) Since the test ride I cannot get the thought of the Africa Twin out of my head but feel I will miss the Stelvios soul ?
Maybe I'm just too old to move on ! Anyways thanks in advance for any responses. If I do get one I will be investing in the Alt Rider crash bars and stuff even if I have to fly out to pick it up.
Ride safe and often

·
Registered
20 Posts
Obviously, if you can't get it out of your head, some piece of the AT's soul grabbed you. Ride what you like. I like the AT more everyday, especially when I get the chance to get it on some rough ground that I know my other bikes couldn't have handled.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Japanese manufacturers haven't learned the art of motorcycle anthropomorphizing, they just build machines to transport the body and let the rider deal with faith and metaphysics. Accordingly, since motorcycle "soul" is a term most often used when discussing brands lacking engine counter-balancers, and "character" is what their owners develop tightening nuts and replacing lost parts, there may be no reconciling your needs with an Africa Twin . Of course you could end your AT rides at a paint store and sit on a paint shaker for a few minutes as a substitute. >:)

·
Registered
62 Posts
"Having a soul" is usually a concept attributed to clunky bikes : Harleys, boxer BMWs, Ducatis, Guzzis... ;-)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bought my AT and collected the other day Having put some more miles in I must apologise to Honda as it certainly is not a UJM.
Just going to remortgage my house to buy a Boano sump guard, seems a bit of a con paying all that for a sump guard €352 and then another €28 for a fitting kit plus tax !

·
Registered
359 Posts
"Having a soul" is usually a concept attributed to clunky bikes : Harleys, boxer BMWs, Ducatis, Guzzis... ;-)
meanwhile to me those are the bikes without any soul. bikes with soul to me are those you can throw around and will take you through a lot of -ish, hence why i'm here for the twin ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts