Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there all.

Picked up the Try Colour about 6 weeks ago. Apart from that annoying, rattle or clang from below somewhere, I am over the moon.

Absolutely awesome in the dirt. I had the suspension set up customized for me by an enduro pro! I have zero issues on the dirt or flat out on the tar. Also fitted the Yoshi RS4. Sings like a bird!

Can't wait for Sundays.

Cheers John.
:grin2:

·
Registered
38 Posts
the "clang"

Yes,

I agree that "clang" is likely the side stand banging up and down.

Drives me bonkers riding off road.

I installed a center stand, and assumed that was the culprit, but not the case.

I was planning on looking for a stronger spring for the side stand, or adding a second spring, but your rubber stopper idea may be the ticket.

Any other fixes out there?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have tried glueing a small piece of rubber where it currently 'seats', but the surface area is too small.

Next step is a temporary rubber block under the swing arm, just for testing. (Maybe a slider?)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Just get a velco cable tie, you can get various sizes, 1/2" width would do it. 10 seconds to put on/off. If you cant find them use a standard cable tie and fit for off road, when finished snip and disard, a bag of these are cheap, just make sure they are long enough. Prefer the velcro though.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Do you have pics from the exhaust? I haven't seen one here yet.

Must be some great riding in South Africa! Good luck.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will get some pics of the pipe.

Yes, we have awesome riding here in SA. We also do a annual ride 'out of country'. This can take one as far north as the top of Lake Malawi (Tanzania).

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sound fantastic, you've got the right bike for the job!

I see you've had quite some bmw's, how does it compare so far?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I loved my BM's and they gave me amazing experiences. On long trips there is not much that beats them. When it gets really technical your skill and experiences, and riding buddies, get you through!

Because of a prior incident about 18 months ago I have been wanting to change to something that will be better in technical areas. I rode all my options, but just could not feel 'at home' on any of them.

I hate to admit it, but I stumbled across the AT via our friend, Google! Until then I was only looking at what was on the showroom floor, and Honda was not on the radar. Once I found it, I really enjoyed what I was reading and called the dealer to see when they would be available. When I sat on the AT the first time, everything just felt 'right'. The rest is history!!

Although I still have the standard tyres fitted, I am finding the AT a lot easier in more technical places. That has to be because of the suspension and rolling circumference of the wheels. BUT, suspension setting and tyre pressures are absolutely critical. Even with the BM's I was always very careful with these setup's and always knew what they were, in all conditions. I was fortunate with the AT as I found someone to assist with the setup of these.

On gravel roads, 'speed is your friend'. At lower speeds, 60 km/h the ride is a bit bumpy. But the same piece of road at 120 km/h plus it is super smooth. The BM's were the same.

At first I was concerned about the HP, especially with all the other models having so much of it! But that is only going to be an issue in a straight line drag. I will just have to choose my battles carefully!

Two things I am going to have learn to 'ride around' is the sensitive throttle and the long first gear. I may keep another sprocket for when we go to Lesotho. Look up Lesotho, that is unbelievable riding. I am hoping to shorten the first gear into a bit of a 'crawler' gear.

In my little experience the AT is a very good compromise between dirt and tar. It is comfortable on tar and very good in the dirt. For me, that makes it a proper 'dual purpose' bike.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Yes,

I agree that "clang" is likely the side stand banging up and down.

Drives me bonkers riding off road.

I installed a center stand, and assumed that was the culprit, but not the case.

I was planning on looking for a stronger spring for the side stand, or adding a second spring, but your rubber stopper idea may be the ticket.

Any other fixes out there?
I am willing to put money on the fact its not the side stand or the center stand, its the chain bouncing on the slider makes quite a slap on rough ground just look at how long the swing-arm is compared to other bikes. Mine did this before the center stand was installed and I cable tied the side stand to prove the point.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you have pics from the exhaust? I haven't seen one here yet.

Must be some great riding in South Africa! Good luck.
This the pick with the Yoshi RS4 fitted.

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
I am willing to put money on the fact its not the side stand or the center stand, its the chain bouncing on the slider makes quite a slap on rough ground just look at how long the swing-arm is compared to other bikes. Mine did this before the center stand was installed and I cable tied the side stand to prove the point.

I agree it is the chain.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree it is the chain.
This afternoon I strapped the side and center stand down and went for a short ride where I knew the noise would be. The 'clang' is still there! I had someone ride next to me and it seems to be the chain for sure. Seems like this is something just to get used to?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts