Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Where has your Africa Twin Taken you?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got back from a nice 3 hour ride today, changed out of my riding gear and then noticed one wee spot of coolant below the right front of the engine/exst pipe area.

On close look it seems there is a small weeping pipe in the front of the engine.

I read that it may be the weep point for the water pump, surely mine cant be F'd after only 5,800km ?

I read on another post that some weeping here is normal, is that so ?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I found it in the manual just now. The DCT procedure is a bit more involved, but similar.

The manual also says some weeping is normal, as long as it doesnt piss out or leak when the bike is just sitting around.

My hope is that this is just the "normal" weeping, not a F'd seal/Water pump.

thanks for the Video, very useful, I hope im not doing it anytime soon.

·
Super Moderator
6,075 Posts
" ... weeping is normal ..."

" ... oil sweating from gasket is normal ... "

" ... dark, black engine oil is normal ... "

Statements like these make me weep. :cry:

·
Registered
80 Posts
" ... weeping is normal ..."

" ... oil sweating from gasket is normal ... "

" ... dark, black engine oil is normal ... "

Statements like these make me weep. :cry:
Totally agree, fluids shouldn't "weep, "seep" or "leak" in my opinion.
If they do, it's a sure sign the rate of weep / seep / leak will only get higher in time.

Reminds me of a particular BMW vehicle that claimed in it's manual that an 1 Quart (946ml) per 1,000 miles (1,600km) period was "acceptable".

Very big reason, I've always stuck to Japanese !

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks. I found it in the manual just now. The DCT procedure is a bit more involved, but similar.

The manual also says some weeping is normal, as long as it doesnt piss out or leak when the bike is just sitting around.

My hope is that this is just the "normal" weeping, not a F'd seal/Water pump.

thanks for the Video, very useful, I hope im not doing it anytime soon.
Were you able to find a DCT version of that repair video ?
Would be interested in seeing that.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Nope, no video found yet. May do my own it seems

BTW guys these "its normal" statements are right in the Africa Twin Service Manual, they are not mine. Right or wrong they are there.

Doesnt seem right to me either. Im ordering a new pump and the boat load of Rings it takes on a DCT just have on hand. Last time I ordered a screw from Honda it took 4 months together due to COVID.

Im really not happy about having to strip down a bike with only 5800km on it, this isnt why I bought a Honda. Seems from searching more that these things let go very prematurely. too bad my warranty is up.

Reactions: DoubleThumper

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, $375 CAD later, I have the Pump and all the many many many many Orings/gaskets ordered. Many of those are not required on the standard transmission (its now I wish I didnt have a DCT). I know my way around a tool box pretty well, but honestly its a bit intimidating the you have to dive into what is basically a brand new Bike and mess with "new to me technology". Hopefully its as simple as the manual shows and none of the DCT gubbins is tampered with too much. Ya know how it is, the more **** you disturb, the more chance stuff leaks after the fact. Ive rebuilt transmissions on old bikes and restored many many bikes, but...regardless, I get intimidated.

It may take just as much time to remove and replace the OM Crash/engine bars as it does to do the Water Pump.....who knows.

Parts guy at the dealer told me they have had more than one bike puke vast amounts of coolant right out of the crate on start up & Honda has to pay them to fix the WP on a brand new bike. Latest one was a new Rebel that was in the show room (same engine I hear).

Anyway, once the parts are in, ill assess things and see if its getting worse and decide if I do it now or this winter when im not so busy on the farm. Of course riding on a day trip 200km or more from home with the worry of coolant pissing all over my leg and boots isnt a good way to have a day out either. Either way ill take pics and maybe do a video.

Reactions: TheMKoi

·
Registered
80 Posts
Precious little regarding info on pump replacement on dct models from what I can find.
Post whatever info you can, there will be a few that will definitely find this beneficial.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes mr_grumble, I didnt see any Vid's either.

Looks like ill be diving into it myself at some point. If/when I do , Ill take pics and likely make a video

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So the supply chain at Honda continues to SUCK.

Most of the seals gaskets and O-rings (that I had to pre-pay for when ordered btw. $140 worth) are now suddenly on back order. some come in this month, some July and some August !. I was told they were all in stock in the Toronto Warehouse when I ordered everything.

AUGUST ! Freakin' AUGUST

WTF Honda ?

This really pisses me off.

I know the parts manager, ill be talking to him when I go get my stuff this week, not to mention the parts monkey over-charged me by $40+, and the manager wants me to wait until all the parts are in before fixing that over charge. Nope, thats gonna get sorted this week as well.

Reactions: Sled

·
Registered
12 Posts
So the supply chain at Honda continues to SUCK.

Most of the seals gaskets and O-rings (that I had to pre-pay for when ordered btw. $140 worth) are now suddenly on back order. some come in this month, some July and some August !. I was told they were all in stock in the Toronto Warehouse when I ordered everything.

AUGUST ! Freakin' AUGUST

WTF Honda ?

This really pisses me off.

I know the parts manager, ill be talking to him when I go get my stuff this week, not to mention the parts monkey over-charged me by $40+, and the manager wants me to wait until all the parts are in before fixing that over charge. Nope, thats gonna get sorted this week as well.
My pump and gaskets are also on back order till July
I found out that my ‘16 doesn’t weep if i start the bike and ride it and the radiator fans do their cycle. When the system is hot and i shut the engine off, it’s all good, not one drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
486 Posts
You may have heard of the shipping situation due to world events? Empty containers stacking up on the west coast because there's nothing to put in them to go back to Asia, and nobody wants to deadhead a cargo ship. So if there's something to come east, there's nothing to ship it in.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, hadn't heard about the shipping thing.

Well, I have some of my stuff here, it will sit on the shelf until the rest arrives, when ever that happens to be.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts