Honda Africa Twin Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of July's Ride of the Month Challenge! Theme: Drop it like it's hot!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guy's, I've got an impossible to find coolant leak. After a thrash, it's covering the right hand case, and my leg. However, I can't find the bloody thing. Anybody got suggestions? This is the forth problem I've had with this bike in Two years. Which is four more problems than I've had with My TRX 850 in 20 years.
It is a great bike but I'm losing the faith.:frown2: Andy.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The water pump is on the right side (front of engine) have a look up there. Any leaking coolant should leave a residue/stain so you may be able to find out where its coming from. If nothing from the pump area check connections to the right side radiator.

·
Registered
465 Posts
It's the stupid coolant bleeder valve (right side). Honda says it's normal. I still don't understand it's purpose and why it's normal for it to drip coolant.

·
Registered
223 Posts
It's the stupid coolant bleeder valve (right side). Honda says it's normal. I still don't understand it's purpose and why it's normal for it to drip coolant.
Who says its normal, the dealer or Honda? Definitely not normal, I haven't seen another leaking coolant, bleeder valves are used for bleeding the air out of the cooling system after you have refilled them so the engine doesn't get an air lock & over heat, they shouldn't leak, coolant is supposed to stay on the inside unless you have overfilled it & it will leak out of the coolant overflow tank which is normal on any water cooled machine

·
Registered
465 Posts
Who says its normal, the dealer or Honda? Definitely not normal, I haven't seen another leaking coolant, bleeder valves are used for bleeding the air out of the cooling system after you have refilled them so the engine doesn't get an air lock & over heat, they shouldn't leak, coolant is supposed to stay on the inside unless you have overfilled it & it will leak out of the coolant overflow tank which is normal on any water cooled machine
I know what you're saying. It doesn't make sense.

But in the service manual, page 8-10, it says,"A small amount of coolant weeping from the bleed pipe is NORMAL."

Now the question is...just how small is "small", Honda?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I know what you're saying. It doesn't make sense.

But in the service manual, page 8-10, it says,"A small amount of coolant weeping from the bleed pipe is NORMAL."

Now the question is...just how small is "small", Honda?
Interesting, no mention of it in the owners manual, Ok found this in the service manual, page 8-10: still sounds dodgy

WATER PUMP MECHANICAL SEAL INSPECTION
Check the bleed pipe [1] of the water pump for signs of
coolant leakage.
• A small amount of coolant weeping from the bleed
pipe is normal.
• Make sure that there is no continuous coolant
leakage from the bleed pipe while operating the
engine.
Replace the water pump as an assembly if necessary.

Attachments

·
Registered
465 Posts
IIRC I experienced a couple drops every minute after initial startup followed by a drop every 5 minutes.

Now, I don't know if that's considered "continuous" but a drop every 5 or so minutes is not good IMHO.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Mine has done it since day one. Yes they covered themselves in the service manual with it. Still IMO unacceptable, none of my yamaha's or Suzuki's leak coolant. I have all the parts to fix mine, just haven't done it yet. Bike was down for 5 weeks waiting on front forks to come back with Ohlins cartridges in them. I bought all the water pump repair parts back in january of this year. No way I am letting a dealer attempt this job on my DCT. Bike is still under warranty and I have discussed this issue in depth with American Honda. Who BTW didn't offer to even pay half of the cost of the parts but did tell me even if I repaired it myself my warranty was still good. Who cares is what I told her the warranty is worthless with today's state of affairs at almost all the dealerships in this country. The water pump is sold as a complete unit and it is not serviceable, you replace it. I can almost bet the new one will leak as well. If you don't want coolant drops on your exhaust and boot I suggest you add a little hos off the pump drain nipple and go ride your bike with no coolant drops on your boot or exhaust. Just keep an eye out on the coolant level in the over flow tank. Mine has never needed any coolant added.

I ended the conversation by telling her this will be my last Honda motorcycle I ever buy. Leaking water pump normal, lol, give me a break!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I forgot to add the total cost of Honda parts to do a DCT water pump came up to $200. The DCT requires many many orings that the manual doesn't so the manual cost may be a little cheaper. Also some of those orings were stupid priced IMO.

I have all the parts like I said and I will eventually tackle the job because it continues to drop coolant from time to time more so if it has been sitting a while then started up. Money well spent buying the parts ahead of time. FWIW the pump was a source of a delay getting the parts all ordered at the same time, it was on a slight back order at the time. Nah there is no issue with AT water pumps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts