Honda Africa Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon All,

I'm hoping somebody might be able to give me a steer on what I can do in order to try and budge a stubborn coolant drain bolt?

The bike is a standard 2016 AT and I'm midway carrying out a three year service on it. Brake fluid, oil change all done no problems, however, this annoying drain bolt is proving a pig to get off. My worry is that I may strip the allan bolt and then be in an even worse place.

Things I've tried already - squirting the bolt with WD40 and warming the bike up for a couple of minutes and retrying. By the way, I'm using the allan key that comes with the bike.

Are there any tricks worth trying before I admit defeat and take it to a garage to carry out?

Thanks in advance.

Simon

·
Registered
298 Posts
Get a 3/8 drive allen key socket and a breaker bar. Rap the breaker smartly with another metal bar and the shock will usually break the bolt loose. I use a bar because I can't hit the breaker with a hammer head...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers shadowjack - I'll give that a go. Fingers crossed I don't strip the thread.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Cheers shadowjack - I'll give that a go. Fingers crossed I don't strip the thread.
Doubt you’ll strip the threads, most likely you’ll strip the head, Honda’s bolts have a relatively small head for the size of the volt and that’s usually what gives out first. Had the same issue with a bolt on the skid plate of my 18 ATAS. I actually had to use a sharp chisel to brake it loose and I replaced them with some lager head titanium bolts.
But I will add that with a small head to bolt size ratio you are less unlikely to snap the bolt, so...

·
Registered
788 Posts
Yea with that I would suggest an brand new Allen/hex socket and DEFINITELY NOT a “ball” end type.
Lol or just cheat and disconnect the hoses and flush it through.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts